Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

There are some positives to the pandemic
Old 04-05-2020, 06:25 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are some positives to the pandemic

I live in a very rural area but have noticed some good things happening in lieu of this devastation.

I have noticed a lot of kids outside riding bikes, flying kites, riding running and playing games, walking, walking as a family, walking dogs, siting on hill sides, fishing as families, cleaning yards as a family etc..

Has anyone noticed some positive things or things that haven't been as noticeable before the covid 19?

I reminds me what I have been seeing, is how it was when I grew up. There was very little time spent inside, because there was nothing to do inside.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2020, 06:40 PM   #2

We have virtually eliminated eating restaurant food. Now I suppose that’s not so good for the restaurants but it has been much healthier for us since we don’t use a lot of salt or oil in the foods we eat.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:43 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We’re certainly seeing more kids playing outside lately. Some parents are loving it, others are adapting but enjoying it nonetheless. If anything we’re spending more time outside too. And our spending is down on several categories.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 04-05-2020, 06:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
We have virtually eliminated eating restaurant food. Now I suppose that’s not so good for the restaurants but it has been much healthier for us since we don’t use a lot of salt or oil in the foods we eat.
Same here. I was “trying” to lose weight for a while before this, but now I’m actually doing so. Definitely eating healthier.

Like Street, we’re certainly seeing more people walking and being outside in general. Also seeing more adults hanging out with kids outside. Whole family going for walks or bike rides. Saw a dad, or at least a much older brother, out riding a motorcycle cycle following around a young kid on a mini bike. Looked like fun.

My daughter has involved the kids in preparing dinner. They’re enjoying it.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #5

I also forgot to mention some of the great people out there doing so much to help others. There really is story after story of the good/kindness coming from so many, if it is from making masks or volunteering to be on the front lines.

It is really nice to see the love, instead of the hate we so often see. I hope we all learn from this as families, to get back to spending more time with kids and doing things together.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We’re certainly seeing more kids playing outside lately. Some parents are loving it, others are adapting but enjoying it nonetheless. If anything we’re spending more time outside too. And our spending is down on several categories.
I've noticed that too. But it could just be spring (especially with schools and spring sports shut down, which is of course due to COVID).

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 04-05-2020, 08:42 PM   #7
Administrator

The air around here is cleaner, and there are many more walkers in my walk-friendly neighborhood.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:52 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post

I reminds me what I have been seeing, is how it was when I grew up. There was very little time spent inside, because there was nothing to do inside.
But those kids would not necessarily been inside anyhow.

They might have been at soccer, volleyball, tennis, softball, baseball or whatever practice, You wouldn't have seen them on your street in that case either.

Or other positive inside group activities that they can't do now. Indoor swimming, music lessons/band, dance, theater, group study, Tae Kwon Do, whatever.

Being outside is great, but they really shouldn't be doing much together. It's making the best of it, not sure it's positive overall though.

-ERD50
Old 04-05-2020, 09:07 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I've dropped 4 pounds from not eating out.

I'm hopeful that we will wake up to our new reality and develop a cohesive plan. I know we personally will learn and modify our behavior from this experience.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:18 PM   #10

People are politely distancing themselves while limiting outside time. We're still on Shelter in Place so, yeah, no playing outside.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:08 PM   #11

The Boomer Remover may significantly cut down on future Social Security and health care costs.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:20 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
The Boomer Remover may significantly cut down on future Social Security and health care costs.
And it's going to make some nice houses available on the market
Old 04-06-2020, 04:34 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Stocks are “on sale.” Seeing the outdoor gatherings in China over the weekend, gives me great hope that this will be more of a Large Company “V” recovery. I think we’ve done some damage to the entrepreneurs though.

I

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
Old 04-06-2020, 04:42 AM   #14

We definitely see more families out taking walks than usual.

Quote:
We have gotten take out twice. Chinese two weeks ago and BBQ last week. Both places seemed fairly busy.

I have seen several posts that air pollution is down globally, especially in China, and the water in Venice is the cleanest anyone can remember.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:42 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I see more walkers, runners, bikers and kids on trampolines. And the neighborhood seems quieter and more laid back.

And we are not eating out and have only bought take out a couple of times. I used to eat fast food 10-15 times a week. Now none. My weight is plummeting.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:51 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I have found myself not wasting food. We're making a point of eating leftovers instead of letting them sit in the refrigerator for weeks. Also making an effort of using up fresh vegetables/fruit that are almost at the point of being inedible. Consciously not using as many paper towels as we normally would. Keeping the house cleaner. Taking a long walk (5 miles) everyday. Haven't missed a walk since March 14. Not doing any frivolous on-line shopping. This is making me realize how good my life is, I have food and a safe, comfortable place to isolate and factime. The only big, big, big negative is not being able to see the grandkids.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:08 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have never seen so many people of all ages out in my neighborhood. And our local parks are very busy. Yesterday we went for a drive and we saw many families out enjoying the nice weather.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:44 AM   #18

A dramatic reduction in air pollution is a huge positive effect.

Quote:
The Los Angeles smog has lifted, water in Venice’s canals has cleared and China’s factory emissions have fallen so dramatically the change can be seen from space.

International travel restrictions and city lockdowns designed to slow the spread of coronavirus have led to swift and sometimes surprising environmental benefits. The long-term implications are unclear but many climate scientists now expect greenhouse gas emissions to fall for the first time since the financial crisis more than a decade ago, when they dropped by 7%.
-- Wall Street Journal
Quote:
“I expect a bigger impact than the great recession of the late 2000s or early 2010s and a drop, perhaps several percent, in global carbon emissions,” said Michael E. Mann, Distinguished Professor of Atmospheric Science at Penn State.
And if more people become accustomed to working from home, and continue to do so after this crisis has passed, we might actually see some long term positive effect on the environment.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:59 AM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
A dramatic reduction in air pollution is a huge positive effect.

And if more people become accustomed to working from home, and continue to do so after this crisis has passed, we might actually see some long term positive effect on the environment.
+1

I haven’t seen any data in this but there probably is a rebound in the stocks of some sealife in danger of overfishing.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:14 AM   #20

Nice, welcomed thread topic. Thank you OP. Spring is coming and that is always welcomed in the upper Midwest. DW and I are being extra kind to each other since we’re together all the time, letting small potato couple stuff roll off and yet dropping everything to focus on the other when one is struggling directly or indirectly with the crisis or something else. And the cats think it’s the best time ever.
Closed Thread