There are some positives to the pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I live in a very rural area but have noticed some good things happening in lieu of this devastation.

I have noticed a lot of kids outside riding bikes, flying kites, riding running and playing games, walking, walking as a family, walking dogs, siting on hill sides, fishing as families, cleaning yards as a family etc..

Has anyone noticed some positive things or things that haven't been as noticeable before the covid 19?

I reminds me what I have been seeing, is how it was when I grew up. There was very little time spent inside, because there was nothing to do inside.

Last edited:
We have virtually eliminated eating restaurant food. Now I suppose that’s not so good for the restaurants but it has been much healthier for us since we don’t use a lot of salt or oil in the foods we eat.

We’re certainly seeing more kids playing outside lately. Some parents are loving it, others are adapting but enjoying it nonetheless. If anything we’re spending more time outside too. And our spending is down on several categories.

We have virtually eliminated eating restaurant food. Now I suppose that’s not so good for the restaurants but it has been much healthier for us since we don’t use a lot of salt or oil in the foods we eat.

Same here. I was “trying” to lose weight for a while before this, but now I’m actually doing so. Definitely eating healthier.

Like Street, we’re certainly seeing more people walking and being outside in general. Also seeing more adults hanging out with kids outside. Whole family going for walks or bike rides. Saw a dad, or at least a much older brother, out riding a motorcycle cycle following around a young kid on a mini bike. Looked like fun.

My daughter has involved the kids in preparing dinner. They’re enjoying it.

I also forgot to mention some of the great people out there doing so much to help others. There really is story after story of the good/kindness coming from so many, if it is from making masks or volunteering to be on the front lines.

It is really nice to see the love, instead of the hate we so often see. I hope we all learn from this as families, to get back to spending more time with kids and doing things together.

We’re certainly seeing more kids playing outside lately. Some parents are loving it, others are adapting but enjoying it nonetheless. If anything we’re spending more time outside too. And our spending is down on several categories.

I've noticed that too. But it could just be spring (especially with schools and spring sports shut down, which is of course due to COVID).

The air around here is cleaner, and there are many more walkers in my walk-friendly neighborhood.

I reminds me what I have been seeing, is how it was when I grew up. There was very little time spent inside, because there was nothing to do inside.

But those kids would not necessarily been inside anyhow.

They might have been at soccer, volleyball, tennis, softball, baseball or whatever practice, You wouldn't have seen them on your street in that case either.

Or other positive inside group activities that they can't do now. Indoor swimming, music lessons/band, dance, theater, group study, Tae Kwon Do, whatever.

Being outside is great, but they really shouldn't be doing much together. It's making the best of it, not sure it's positive overall though.

-ERD50

I've dropped 4 pounds from not eating out.

I'm hopeful that we will wake up to our new reality and develop a cohesive plan. I know we personally will learn and modify our behavior from this experience.

People are politely distancing themselves while limiting outside time. We're still on Shelter in Place so, yeah, no playing outside.

The Boomer Remover may significantly cut down on future Social Security and health care costs.

Stocks are “on sale.” Seeing the outdoor gatherings in China over the weekend, gives me great hope that this will be more of a Large Company “V” recovery. I think we’ve done some damage to the entrepreneurs though.

I

We definitely see more families out taking walks than usual.

We have gotten take out twice. Chinese two weeks ago and BBQ last week. Both places seemed fairly busy.

I have seen several posts that air pollution is down globally, especially in China, and the water in Venice is the cleanest anyone can remember.

I see more walkers, runners, bikers and kids on trampolines. And the neighborhood seems quieter and more laid back.

And we are not eating out and have only bought take out a couple of times. I used to eat fast food 10-15 times a week. Now none. My weight is plummeting.

I have found myself not wasting food. We're making a point of eating leftovers instead of letting them sit in the refrigerator for weeks. Also making an effort of using up fresh vegetables/fruit that are almost at the point of being inedible. Consciously not using as many paper towels as we normally would. Keeping the house cleaner. Taking a long walk (5 miles) everyday. Haven't missed a walk since March 14. Not doing any frivolous on-line shopping. This is making me realize how good my life is, I have food and a safe, comfortable place to isolate and factime. The only big, big, big negative is not being able to see the grandkids.

I have never seen so many people of all ages out in my neighborhood. And our local parks are very busy. Yesterday we went for a drive and we saw many families out enjoying the nice weather.

A dramatic reduction in air pollution is a huge positive effect.

The Los Angeles smog has lifted, water in Venice’s canals has cleared and China’s factory emissions have fallen so dramatically the change can be seen from space.

International travel restrictions and city lockdowns designed to slow the spread of coronavirus have led to swift and sometimes surprising environmental benefits. The long-term implications are unclear but many climate scientists now expect greenhouse gas emissions to fall for the first time since the financial crisis more than a decade ago, when they dropped by 7%.
-- Wall Street Journal

“I expect a bigger impact than the great recession of the late 2000s or early 2010s and a drop, perhaps several percent, in global carbon emissions,” said Michael E. Mann, Distinguished Professor of Atmospheric Science at Penn State.

And if more people become accustomed to working from home, and continue to do so after this crisis has passed, we might actually see some long term positive effect on the environment.

A dramatic reduction in air pollution is a huge positive effect.

And if more people become accustomed to working from home, and continue to do so after this crisis has passed, we might actually see some long term positive effect on the environment.

+1

I haven’t seen any data in this but there probably is a rebound in the stocks of some sealife in danger of overfishing.

Nice, welcomed thread topic. Thank you OP. Spring is coming and that is always welcomed in the upper Midwest. DW and I are being extra kind to each other since we’re together all the time, letting small potato couple stuff roll off and yet dropping everything to focus on the other when one is struggling directly or indirectly with the crisis or something else. And the cats think it’s the best time ever.

When all is said and done, studies will be conducted and conclude that there was (maybe?) a net-savings of life during this crisis due to less pollution, fewer auto accidents, fewer work-place deaths, etc.

But those kids would not necessarily been inside anyhow.

They might have been at soccer, volleyball, tennis, softball, baseball or whatever practice, You wouldn't have seen them on your street in that case either.

Or other positive inside group activities that they can't do now. Indoor swimming, music lessons/band, dance, theater, group study, Tae Kwon Do, whatever.

Being outside is great, but they really shouldn't be doing much together. It's making the best of it, not sure it's positive overall though.

-ERD50

What you said, could be very true.
The thing that I'm seeing is families doing things together. I know of some where mom/dads working from home, that have kids at home also. That is a challenge but I see some re connection and togetherness in many activities now.
The inside sports you are talking about are done with family members regardless of inside or outside.
Families helping one another with online schooling etc.. I see so much bonding with families with different activities, which wasn't so obvious as before the crisis.

One very positive thing is parents had to slow down which has given more of them more time to share with family.

I'm not saying a slow down and restrictions are all good but I see some positives there also.

Last edited:
What you said, could be very true.
The thing that I'm seeing is families doing things together. I know of some where mom/dads working from home, that have kids at home also. That is a challenge but I see some re connection and togetherness in many activities now.
The inside sports you are talking about are done with family members regardless of inside or outside.
Families helping one another with online schooling etc.. I see so much bonding with families with different activities, which wasn't so obvious as before the crisis.

One very positive thing is parents had to slow down which has given more of them more time to share with family.

I'm not saying a slow down and restrictions are all good but I see some positives there also.

Yes, I agree that there is more family time together for many. Hopefully that's a good thing!

And although video chatting with family isn't the same as being there, in some ways I think many of us over-compensate, so we might actually get more time, or at least more quality/focused time together.

Another positive, that I should probably bring up in one of the other threads is - I assume we are seeing a drop in deaths/hospitalizations of the 'normal' flu, and from car accidents? I haven't seen any data on that, but it seems it must be happening. The same isolation procedures must be limiting the normal flu as well. And this will help free up beds in hospitals, at least partially offsetting the extra COVID-19 demand.

-ERD50

More together time can be good for some families but we'll also see a spike in divorces after this is done.

That can be good or bad.

I'm Catholic and the Archdiocese has put Mass on Facebook. It is a giant pain getting teenagers dressed and off to church on time. This was Easy. We watched when we got ready (after I dragged them out of bed) and we all watched in our pajamas. I may not want to go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom