Tips for on-line ordering of perishables..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivinsfan

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I don't know if this merits an entirely new thread but I'm curious about the best stores and app for on-line ordering and in car pickup.

I know it varies regionally. However more people are trying to avoid actual in store shopping.

My tips is about WalMart..the app can display a message that says. "no spots open for 7 days" So you might think you can't order for a week. This is not true for my region anyway. They only book orders two days in advance so if you stay awake until after midnight and book promptly you can have food in less then 48 hours.

If the mods want to move this somewhere or don't see an interest in it, I'm fine with that.

At our local Fry's store on Tuesday we were speaking with one of the managers about their online ordering. She said that due to hoarding by in-store shoppers, their fill rate for online customers is at 40%.

At our local Fry's store on Tuesday we were speaking with one of the managers about their online ordering. She said that due to hoarding by in-store shoppers, their fill rate for online customers is at 40%.

Yes a another plug for WalMart I had 12 substitutions in my last order but they got the job done, I basically got everything. Maybe a different size or brand then I ordered but I got it. If you order Wal Mart brand and it's gone they sub brand name at no extra cost. If your order brand name and they sub Walmart brand they charge you less.

The bags are clearly marked when they have a sub in them and if you don't want it, the loader pulls it and credits you.

Seeing an employee in the produce department at Kroger lick his fingers to open the plastic bag, each and every time, turned me off ordering produce online.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Seeing an employee in the produce department at Kroger lick his fingers to open the plastic bag, each and every time, turned me off ordering produce online.

Yeah, and knowing the virus survives for at least three days on hard surfaces, like plastic, makes it even more concerning.

Of course, the alternative is to go pick out the stuff yourself at a greater risk of exposure.

I want to add that this morning I got up wanting to add a couple things to my Walmart pickup this evening. I thought I had time to add. Nope. I suspect they shortened the change window but I cant confirm that.

I want to add that this morning I got up wanting to add a couple things to my Walmart pickup this evening. I thought I had time to add. Nope. I suspect they shortened the change window but I cant confirm that.

We put in an online Walmart order a couple of hours ago, scheduled for pick up tomorrow afternoon. In the email confirmation I received after entering the order I was informed any changes would have to be entered prior to 1:45 am.

This is our first use of Walmart pickup so I don't know if this timing (approx 12 hours before scheduled pick up) is a change to the window or not.

I am considering ordering online. My sister usually does it, this week she got a message that it would be delivered in 7 days! Not sure what she was ordering though, from Amazon.
I would use our local Safeway or Walmart.

I am considering ordering online. ...

I would use our local Safeway or Walmart.

Note that online ordering has suddenly exploded in popularity. You can't get a slot for pick up of an on line order at the largest grocery chain in these parts for 7 to 14 days, depending on what store you check. No surprise that the demand is greater, and the delay longer, at stores in more affluent areas and where the surrounding population is older.

I was shocked earlier today when I checked a nearby Walmart Neighborhood Market and could order for a pick up tomorrow. Jumped on it.

Seriously, you should report that to management. Not to get the person fired, but to make management aware they need to step up their training. And to protect others who did not see it.

-ERD50

I agree, but there's almost no other way to get them open. When we were there, DW was smart enough not to want to lick her fingers to get the bag open, but they have those produce sprayers so we got some moisture from a shelf that had been sprayed. Maybe there's a hand cream that would give the workers enough grip to get those darn bags open. They're such a pain.

Seriously, you should report that to management. Not to get the person fired, but to make management aware they need to step up their training. And to protect others who did not see it.

-ERD50

And to protect the employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom