Trump and Melania got Covid19 - news just out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reports are now emerging that the White House was aware of Hope Hick’s infection BEFORE they all got on the helicopter/AF1. If that is really true, then that is the pinnacle of arrogance and ignorance.
It's my understanding the reports were Hope Hicks showed symptoms not that they knew she had the virus.

It's my understanding the reports were Hope Hicks showed symptoms not that they knew she had the virus.

That would be a little better then, but still: after 6 months of the pandemic, a top advisor to the president shows symptoms (whatever that may mean) of an infection and nobody gets the idea that maybe she has Covid and she should not hang around the president/WH until she has been medically cleared? How flippant can it get?

I can test negative, put on a mask go to the grocery store, come in contact with someone who is not wearing a mask and have a false sense of security that I'm still protected and negative.

To hear someone say I tested negative this morning should be followed with did you wear a mask when in contact with anyone and did they wear a mask? This is a serious topic, but I have to add something humorous to break the negativity. The South Park Pandemic Special is hilarious. We must be mindful but keep a positive outlook.

That is true about testing.

Just to be clear, wearing a mask does not preclude the wearer from becoming infected. It may help prevent the wearer from spreading disease, but no guarantees there either. Good idea to wear of course if unable to distance. Also wise to maintain distance from anyone not wearing one.

Agree on positive outlook!

Reports are now emerging that the White House was aware of Hope Hick’s infection BEFORE they all got on the helicopter/AF1. If that is really true, then that is the pinnacle of arrogance and ignorance.

That would be a massive failure on the part of the Secret Service. Hopefully these are false rumors.

Hope that the President, First Lady and Ms Hicks have mild cases and recover quickly with no after effects.

And hope that they and others will limit personal interaction with others and take precautions to limit the spread of this virus. It's still out there and it's not going away.

It would be prudent for the US to copy the programs of countries that are successfully beating the virus (Taiwan, etc)

That would be a little better then, but still: after 6 months of the pandemic, a top advisor to the president shows symptoms (whatever that may mean) of an infection and nobody gets the idea that maybe she has Covid and she should not hang around the president/WH until she has been medically cleared? How flippant can it get?

She was quarantined on the return flight, according to reports.

Everyone knew COVID is no hoax, now reconfirmed. Can we please move on from that?

That is true about testing.

Just to be clear, wearing a mask does not preclude the wearer from becoming infected. It may help prevent the wearer from spreading disease, but no guarantees there either.

Not true. A NIOSH approved N95 mask will protect you from the virus if worn properly along with eye protection. A proper mask should be able to hold water without leaking. If it does not, it is virtually useless. The other issue is that a mask has to provide a tight seal around the edges where it makes contact with your face.

This is really more about public awareness and acceptance. I hope that having the President infected will make people realize....

It doesn't matter WHO you are...
Wear a mask in public or when close to folks outside your immediate household
Wash your hands
Mimimize gatherings and close contacts.

The counter intuitive thing about all of this, is if everyone complied with all of the above, we could have MORE social contact and LESS distancing.

Hopefully more broad acceptance of what can prevent this will enable ALL OF US to have a winter with LESS Covid!

Not true. A NIOSH approved N95 mask will protect you from the virus if worn properly along with eye protection. A proper mask should be able to hold water without leaking. If it does not, it is virtually useless. The other issue is that a mask has to provide a tight seal around the edges where it makes contact with your face.

All the guidance says the protection is not 100 percent, which was my point. This is true even of N95 masks though they are better and provide more protection to the wearer.

Of course most folks in the general public are not wearing N95 masks, just the ones you describe as virtually useless. The guidance says they are generally useful to reduce chance of spread.

MODERATOR NOTE: Do you remember all the threads in the past that were shutdown due to people getting into a mask debate? Your moderators do. And this thread will meet the same fate if it doesn't stop.

....Just to be clear, wearing a mask does not preclude the wearer from becoming infected. It may help prevent the wearer from spreading disease, but no guarantees there either. Good idea to wear of course if unable to distance. Also wise to maintain distance from anyone not wearing one. ...

My understanding is that wearing a mask doesn't prevent the wearer from spreading disease if they are infected but does reduce the spread compared to not wearing a mask... so Freedom may have a minor nit point.

The idea that anything other than an NIOSH approved N95 mask is "virtually useless" is useless... the health professionals are recommending that people wear masks for a reason and they are not specifically insisting on NIOSH approved N95 masks... my guess would be that 1 in 1000 or less of masks that people are wearing are N95...and the masks worn by Trump, Biden, Pence and Harris don't look like they are N95 masks to me... so I'm skeptical of Freedom's claim that any mask other than a NIOSH approved N95 mask is "virtually worthless".

My understanding is that wearing a mask doesn't prevent the wearer from spreading disease if they are infected but does reduce the spread compared to not wearing a mask... so Freedom may have a minor nit point.

The idea that anything other than an NIOSH approved N95 mask is "virtually useless" is useless... the health professionals are recommending that people wear masks for a reason and they are not specifically insisting on NIOSH approved N95 masks... my guess would be that 1 in 1000 or less of masks that people are wearing are N95...and the masks worn by Trump, Biden, Pence and Harris don't look like they are N95 masks to me... so I'm skeptical of Freedom's claim that any mask other than a NIOSH approved N95 mask is "virtually worthless".

I think there is no all or none situation here. If that were so, the ~100% mask-wearing countries in Asia such as Japan would not see such low numbers. If both wearers were a mask, if they distance, and avoid anything but the briefest periods together, inside, there is clearly evidence that there would be much less community spread. The quality of the mask matters-multilayered, non-woven filter is helpful. One cannot get a true N95 mask outside of a health care setting, and even there they are being rationed. But since most of us are not going around intubating COVID patients, our risk is lower anyway.

It also seems that it is easy to slip up with handwashing-that's where most of us are slipping up. Watching people constantly fussing with their mask, pulling a mask down to talk into a shared microphone, or even to talk. Surgeons talk in the OR all the time with masks on. Surely just about everyone can talk with their mask on.

Read what I stated:

"A proper mask should be able to hold water without leaking. If it does not, it is virtually useless."

At home we have 3M Aura 9205+ NIOSH N95 masks which holds water without leaking. We also have Level 3 surgical masks and even some Chinese KN95 masks that hold water without leaking. If worn properly, these mask will provide protection from viruses with the 3M N95 mask being superior due to it's design and tight fit. Any mask that leaks water is not going to stop the spread of a virus or protect you from one.

I always find it "interesting" seeing the folks who revel in the bad fortunes of others.

Wishing the best for the President and the First Lady, and for all those with COVID-19.

I wonder how much of 'regular' mask wearing simply becomes a facial reminder to 'socially distance', and thus becomes effective by proxy?

Read what I stated:

"A proper mask should be able to hold water without leaking. If it does not, it is virtually useless."

At home we have 3M Aura 9205+ NIOSH N95 masks which holds water without leaking. We also have Level 3 surgical masks and even some Chinese KN95 masks that hold water without leaking. If worn properly, these mask will provide protection from viruses with the 3M N95 mask being superior due to it's design and tight fit. Any mask that leaks water is not going to stop the spread of a virus or protect you from one.

Ok, I see I misinterpreted your post but the point still holds. My guess would be that less than 1 in 1000 of masks that people are wearing are able to hold water... the health professionals have not said that a mask must be able to hold water in order to be useful... and I'm skeptical that very many of the masks that we seen worn while out and about or by our public officials on tv hold water.

I haven't seen anything from any health professional along the lines of any mask that leaks water isn't going to help stop the spread... when Fauci says it then I'll believe it.

Last edited:
Despite 3 mod warnings to stay carefully on topic and avoid politics, and masks, too many members appear to want to blow past that and the "hot topic" reminder. So this thread has nowhere productive to go, and is being closed.

Any additional thread attempts on this topic will be immediately closed, and members who attempt to do so may find their posting privileges impacted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom