Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2020, 02:33 PM   #161
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,375
Maybe these have been brought up, but:

- Will there be post-vaccination tests to determine how protected you are/how high your antibodies are?
- How will anyone else know you're safe to be around/have antibodies/don't need to wear a mask? Will you been given a paper or a card or have your forehead tattooed or whatever?
gerntz is offline   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2020, 02:35 PM   #162
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,375
Then there's the ever-present question for all vaccine shots of how sore will your arm becomes. I'm guessing lower side effects could lead some to choose a lesser protection vaccine option if people report fewer issues with it on social media (whatever that is.).
gerntz is offline   Reply
Old 11-11-2020, 02:46 PM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
gauss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Maybe these have been brought up, but:

- Will there be post-vaccination tests to determine how protected you are/how high your antibodies are?
- How will anyone else know you're safe to be around/have antibodies/don't need to wear a mask? Will you been given a paper or a card or have your forehead tattooed or whatever?
I suspect, at least in my area of the country, that there will be no vaccination credential of any sort and that we will be required to continue to wear masks regardless if we have been vaccinated or not. I can see this going on for another year.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply
Old 11-11-2020, 04:14 PM   #164
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
My order of priority would be this:

1. Healthcare workers (MDs, RNs, EMTs etc.)
2. Public Safety workers (fire and police)
3. Other essential workers who necessarily have close contact with many people (Transit workers, teachers, grocery store clerks)
4. Elderly people in congregate settings.
5. Anyone with impaired immune system.
6. Everyone else by inverse order of age.

As a category 6, I would expect to receive a vaccine sometime next summer.

Sounds good to me, although I would be in the 6th group as well.

I could not resist, but there should be a group 7 who gets vaccinated last, after everybody else. I leave it to your machination who should be put in that last group.

Finally, there's group 8 who will refuse to be vaccinated. They are self-proclaimed, so no need to identify and to classify them.
__________________
"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply
Old 11-11-2020, 04:41 PM   #165
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
MuirWannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Sounds good to me, although I would be in the 6th group as well.



I could not resist, but there should be a group 7 who gets vaccinated last, after everybody else. I leave it to your machination who should be put in that last group.



Finally, there's group 8 who will refuse to be vaccinated. They are self-proclaimed, so no need to identify and to classify them.

Group 7.....politicians, and lawyers?? Or from my experience in IT, maybe its the IT folks. Nobody likes their IT guy.
__________________
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir
MuirWannabe is offline   Reply
Old 11-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #166
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: St. Charles
Posts: 2,607
Maybe this was discussed earlier, but one drawback of the Pfizer vaccine is it must be stored at -95F. Meaning, distribution will be an issue, particularly for rural areas without the facilities to do this.
__________________
If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Never slow down, never grow old!
CardsFan is offline   Reply
Old 11-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #167
Moderator
Aerides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 7,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
- How will anyone else know you're safe to be around/have antibodies/don't need to wear a mask? Will you been given a paper or a card or have your forehead tattooed or whatever?
No, because those could be bought/sold/forged etc. I expect that community mitigation activities will likely remain in place until we have actual results and the R0 rate drops dramatically.
Aerides is offline   Reply
Old 11-11-2020, 05:22 PM   #168
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Maybe this was discussed earlier, but one drawback of the Pfizer vaccine is it must be stored at -95F. Meaning, distribution will be an issue, particularly for rural areas without the facilities to do this.
Yes, and the vaccine degrades fast above -94 F. So, problem with distribution and logistics. Novavax can match the efficacy in terms of antibodies and T cells and still be stored in regular refrigerator temperature. Maybe this is why the Pfizer CEO sold 62% of his shares on the day he announced the news a few days ago?

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...ouncement-made
__________________
No to consumerism, Living a simple life, enjoying the experience - not the material stuff
cyber888 is online now   Reply
Old 11-11-2020, 05:28 PM   #169
Moderator Emeritus
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 13,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
My order of priority would be this:

1. Healthcare workers (MDs, RNs, EMTs etc.)
2. Public Safety workers (fire and police)
3. Other essential workers who necessarily have close contact with many people (Transit workers, teachers, grocery store clerks)
4. Elderly people in congregate settings.
5. Anyone with impaired immune system.
6. Everyone else by inverse order of age.

As a category 6, I would expect to receive a vaccine sometime next summer.
Priority order makes sense to me. I am also a category 6, but I don't expect the vaccine to be available to me for a year or more.

Our county's only hospital has what they call "limited testing availability", where they will only test those with symptoms. This is 8 months into the pandemic. Given the state of testing availability, I don't expect the vaccine availability to be much better.
Ronstar is offline   Reply
Old 11-11-2020, 05:31 PM   #170
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: St. Charles
Posts: 2,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Yes, and the vaccine degrades fast above -94 F. So, problem with distribution and logistics. Novavax can match the efficacy in terms of antibodies and T cells and still be stored in regular refrigerator temperature. Maybe this is why the Pfizer CEO sold 62% of his shares on the day he announced the news a few days ago?

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...ouncement-made
Well, in fairness, he filed to sell the shares in August. Which, of course makes the timing of the announcement a bit suspect. Surely he would not time it to maximize his share price
__________________
If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Never slow down, never grow old!
CardsFan is offline   Reply
Old 11-11-2020, 05:48 PM   #171
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Citizen of Texas
Posts: 5,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Maybe this is why the Pfizer CEO sold 62% of his shares on the day he announced the news a few days ago?
Sounds really strange to me...

Another interesting/odd tidbit of info...Albert Bourla, besides being the Pfizer CEO, is a veterinarian too.... He has had numerous leadership roles at Pfizer over the years, including their Animal Health division.... Interesting too that there has been a Canine coronvirus vaccine (just for dogs - not humans) for sometime now... Not sure who invented that, but....

If I start chasing cars or howling at the moon after I get this shot, I'll know why!
__________________
A goal without a plan is really just a wish
Car-Guy is offline   Reply
Old 11-11-2020, 09:09 PM   #172
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,526
It is reported that Pfizer/BioNTech have reached a deal with the EU to sell 300 million doses of the vaccine.

Quote:
Under the terms of the supply deal, the European countries will first purchase 200 million doses of the experimental coronavirus vaccine. Then, they will have the option to buy an additional 100 million, Pfizer said in a news release.

The European supply will come from BioNTech's manufacturing sites in Germany and Pfizer's site in Belgium. The EU deal follows agreements for 100 million doses in the U.S., 120 million doses in Japan and an undisclosed number of doses in Canada.
The price is not disclosed, but reportedly less than what the US will be paying. Cost to the US is said to be $19.50/shot.

See: https://www.investors.com/news/techn...es/?src=A00220


Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Interesting too that there has been a Canine coronvirus vaccine (just for dogs - not humans) for sometime now... Not sure who invented that, but....

If I start chasing cars or howling at the moon after I get this shot, I'll know why!
Or what you do at a fire hydrant.
__________________
"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply
Old 11-11-2020, 09:20 PM   #173
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It is reported that Pfizer/BioNTech have reached a deal with the EU to sell 300 million doses of the vaccine.



The price is not disclosed, but reportedly less than what the US will be paying. Cost to the US is said to be $19.50/shot.

See: https://www.investors.com/news/techn...es/?src=A00220




Or what you do at a fire hydrant.
Only 100 million for the US? With two doses per person that is only 50 million people. At least twice that many will need and want the vaccine. Why only 100 million? I hope it's not gone by the time it gets to me(a relatively healthy 41 year old).
aaronc879 is offline   Reply
Old 11-11-2020, 09:28 PM   #174
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Yes, and the vaccine degrades fast above -94 F. So, problem with distribution and logistics. Novavax can match the efficacy in terms of antibodies and T cells and still be stored in regular refrigerator temperature. Maybe this is why the Pfizer CEO sold 62% of his shares on the day he announced the news a few days ago?

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...ouncement-made
No. It was a pre-planned sale, not a decision made to time the news. Under SEC rules he can't legally trade with material inside info.
Montecfo is offline   Reply
Old 11-12-2020, 07:36 AM   #175
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Well, in fairness, he filed to sell the shares in August. Which, of course makes the timing of the announcement a bit suspect. Surely he would not time it to maximize his share price


I know that it was scheduled long before, but my point was .. it was easy to time the announcement to that exact pre-arranged date. They could have announced it last week or today. 🥳
__________________
No to consumerism, Living a simple life, enjoying the experience - not the material stuff
cyber888 is online now   Reply
Old 11-12-2020, 07:42 AM   #176
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
gauss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Finally, there's group 8 who will refuse to be vaccinated. They are self-proclaimed, so no need to identify and to classify them.
Dr. Faucci, in his CNN interview the other day, explicitly acknowledged this group in the context that, in his guesstimate, it will allow everyone who initially wants a vaccine to likely have access to it by the end of April 2021.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply
Old 11-12-2020, 07:46 AM   #177
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
I know that it was scheduled long before, but my point was .. it was easy to time the announcement to that exact pre-arranged date. They could have announced it last week or today. 🥳
That is true. If he were "holding" that news, until after the election for instance, releasing it no later than when he did would have been personally advantageous.

I am at this point unsure why it was not released in October. According to his prior statements they should have known by then.

Will be interesting to see if this draws scrutiny.
Montecfo is offline   Reply
Old 11-12-2020, 07:47 AM   #178
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
No, because those could be bought/sold/forged etc. I expect that community mitigation activities will likely remain in place until we have actual results and the R0 rate drops dramatically.
How much better mitigation is there than having antibodies?
gerntz is offline   Reply
Old 11-12-2020, 08:06 AM   #179
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Citizen of Texas
Posts: 5,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
That is true. If he were "holding" that news, until after the election for instance, releasing it no later than when he did would have been personally advantageous.

I am at this point unsure why it was not released in October. According to his prior statements they should have known by then.

Will be interesting to see if this draws scrutiny.
If "his" stock sale was timed to coincide with the announcement then that sounds like insider trading to me or at very least stock price manipulation. However, I suspect there are loopholes to get around that...

What concerns me is that (if) "anyone" would withhold the release of "such a vaccine" for political or monetary gain reasons...
__________________
A goal without a plan is really just a wish
Car-Guy is offline   Reply
Old 11-12-2020, 08:10 AM   #180
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 2,986
Car-Guy,

Can't disagree that is what it looks like.
Montecfo is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
multiple, shingles, shingrix, vaccine


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clinical trials? aaronc879 Other topics 26 10-05-2011 06:22 PM
Shingles Vaccine travelover Health and Early Retirement 34 03-30-2008 11:02 PM
Shingles Vaccine mickeyd Other topics 18 01-18-2008 09:38 PM
Concerns about effectiveness of this year's flu vaccine Meadbh Health and Early Retirement 6 10-26-2007 03:15 PM
Required Vaccine sgeeeee Other topics 25 03-22-2007 02:57 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:52 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.