What was your COVID news for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surprised at how low the increase in unemployment was until I found out the my state's online application system crashed over and over again in the past few weeks. I suspect next week may see another significant increase. We'll see.

50 million unemployed? Not yet, IMHO. But if this l[-]ock down[/-] shelter in place goes for more than 6 weeks, then all bets are off, IMHO. We need to start considering how we are going to flatten the unemployment curve so that we don't drive the entire economy into the dirt. Our elected representatives can start by asking the medical community what they will need so we can more safely restart the economy within the next month or two.

Supposedly, a LOT of people can't even get through to file for unemployment since the online sites are slammed. The number is probably much higher than the 3.2 million.
That is correct. Helped my daughter file for unemployment today in NC. System kept crashing. Finally after multiple tries, was able to complete her application.

I was surprised at how low the increase in unemployment was until I found out the my state's online application system crashed over and over again in the past few weeks. I suspect next week may see another significant increase. We'll see.

50 million unemployed? Not yet, IMHO. But if this l[-]ock down[/-] shelter in place goes for more than 6 weeks, then all bets are off, IMHO. We need to start considering how we are going to flatten the unemployment curve so that we don't drive the entire economy into the dirt. Our elected representatives can start by asking the medical community what they will need so we can more safely restart the economy within the next month or two.

In the daily press conference right now, they're discussing the matter of the Ohio unemployment website crashing repeatedly. Part of the problem is too many people on the Internet at the same time. They're trying to increase capacity, but they probably can only do so much. The Lt. Gov. said that benefits will be retroactive. No one will be penalized for any delays in being able to file because of website issues.

The economic problems will start trickling up from the lower paid hourly workers to higher paid workers, even for workers in essential businesses. I read an article that said a particular health care system is cutting everyone's pay, including executives, by 20%! :eek: :facepalm: The reasoning is that the elimination of elective surgeries is hurting their bottom line. Well, I'm sure that's true for now, but those health care workers who are risking their safety, especially with the shortage of PPE, don't deserve this.

An example that hits closer to home: This morning's daily coronavirus update email from DH's employer had some ominous tones to it for the first time. They've been writing that their OEM customers were closing for a number of weeks. Those customers still wanted product to be produced and shipped, as recently as 2 days ago. The aftermarket customers were operating as usual. Now DH's employer has written that all customers are setting dates to stop receiving new shipments. So, they're working to make sure that after the CARES Act passes and is signed into law, all affected employees can get whatever assistance is available. They're going to determine what labor actions are required by tomorrow. You can read between the lines. DH works in R&D, but I'm not convinced they're going to want to continue to keep the engineers and technicians working at full capacity through all this, with this recent news.

Do you get an IgM+ card?

So you've lived through it, been tested, and you have immunoglobulin 'M' (the first one you get) or immunoglobulin 'G' (comes later) circulating in your blood, as proven by a test (like this one: https://www.biomedomics.com/products/infectious-disease/covid-19-rt/).

How do the authorities know that you're the real owner of the test? Do you carry around the test result in your pocket (like a pregnancy test). What's to keep you from taking your sharpie to the test strip?

Seems like we are going to need a proof of immunity database, which of course will be tough, due to 'privacy concerns' :facepalm:

Attachments

• imsafe.jpg
    imsafe.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 231
A cruise line has offered one of its ships that is now going nowhere as a source of beds for patients who need care but not are not on any critical list. Will there kitchen staff provide cruise line food and beverages?

Ms G lost a filling called our DDS. that happens to be across the border in New Mexico. Can't get in to see her unless Ms G is in pain, says the Dept of Health NM, by way of our dentist. Expressed her thoughts that the practice may not survive this very long.

US has passed China and Italy with number of positive individuals. Italy will pass China later today and Spain and Germany are both likely to surpass China in the coming week. It will be awhile before anyone catches Italy and Spain on deaths as they are still adding far more deaths than any other country. Worldometer.

A cruise line has offered one of its ships that is now going nowhere as a source of beds for patients who need care but not are not on any critical list. Will there kitchen staff provide cruise line food and beverages?

If I end up on it, I'm going to sign up for the beverage package :LOL:

If I end up on it, I'm going to sign up for the beverage package :LOL:

I would not insist on a cabin with a balcony. :)

Both times when I was hospitalized in the past, I did not get a room with a window, and it was OK. I was also preoccupied with some other thoughts, and would not appreciate the window that much.

Still, the difference is I was hospitalized for only 3 nights each time. A longer stay may feel different.

My mother called me last night, saying she would stop the weekly dinner with us. She has been having 6 dinners/week with myself and my siblings, on a rotation. We would host her either at home, or take her with us if we go eat out.

Said she was afraid of the virus, and would stay locked in. So, from now on, we would bring food to her. She said she wanted the food dropped off contactless at her front door.

Said she was old, and might die anytime, but did not want to be because of this virus. It would be dumb, she said.

Last edited:
Went to the grocery store around 9AM. Place looked like the Zombies were in control and it had been ransacked. Hardly anyone there except employees milling around.

I think when our Governor said to stay at home the crowds came and bought the place out. I found most of what we wanted including my prescriptions.

I learned my high school Principal is not well hopefully not from this virus. He was a big influence on many myself included. He broke his paddle on my buddies butt and he thanked him for the lesson. I did too.

Still, I'm glad I got a haircut a couple of weeks ago. I'm unsure of what the results will be like when DW cuts my hair but since no one else will see it anyway I guess it won't matter much.:)

I already was in need of a haircut a few weeks ago, and then was frozen out. I gave up and cut my own hair yesterday with a clippers from Amazon. It is horrendous. But, as you say, I am stuck at home, so who cares?!

Here's data I collected from the state of Kentucky. Looks like we're doubling about every 3 days. That becomes a scary number pretty fast.

16-Mar 24
17-Mar 26
18-Mar 35
19-Mar 47
20-Mar 64
21-Mar 87
22-Mar 104
23-Mar 124
24-Mar 163
25-Mar 198
26-Mar 248

Last edited:
State is Pa. Went for a local recon trip to look for Zombies. None found. Saw gas prices for regular at $1.75, $1.85, $2.15, and $2.35 within a half mile stretch of road. All for regular. Parking lot at the food store was less crowded than on a normal day. Infested with Zombies? Didn't go in. Getting very bored hanging around the estate all day.

In my county we are on stay home starting tomorrow at 6 pm. You can only go out to the grocery once per week or to the doctor or pharmacy. OK to walk for exercise but must stay 6 feet apart. All parks are closed. The lock down order is in effect until April 30!!!!

Been tracking in GA where we are currently "sheltering in place" even though there are no state-wide mandates that strict yet. Some counties are much stricter.

Testing in the state has been limited to those at highest risk - the elderly or suffering chronic diseases and first responders. Several appointment-only drive throughs were set up, but they had to quickly narrow the criteria for who could be tested because they were overwhelmed even with doctor orders. And of the # of confirmed covid-19 cases currently, 31% have been hospitalized!

For the number tested in GA so far - almost 9000 - we have an 18% positive rate.

Last edited:
Here's data I collected from the state of Kentucky. Looks like we're doubling about every 3 days. That becomes a scary number pretty fast.

16-Mar 24
17-Mar 26
18-Mar 35
19-Mar 47
20-Mar 64
21-Mar 87
22-Mar 104
23-Mar 124
24-Mar 163
25-Mar 198
26-Mar 248

How does this number look when compared to total tests given per day?

16-Mar 24
17-Mar 26
18-Mar 35
19-Mar 47
20-Mar 64
21-Mar 87
22-Mar 104
23-Mar 124
24-Mar 163
25-Mar 198
26-Mar 248

Darn! That's right on doubling every 3 days. And that looks like the norm for the US.

In my county we are on stay home starting tomorrow at 6 pm. You can only go out to the grocery once per week or to the doctor or pharmacy. OK to walk for exercise but must stay 6 feet apart. All parks are closed. The lock down order is in effect until April 30!!!!

How could they possibly track whether you went to the grocery store more than once?

My wife read that a company has 35,000,000 masks in a couple of warehouses. They wouldn't name the company. I can't imagine why they waited until now to offer these.

Hanes is also supposed to be gearing up to make about millions of masks, but not sure of the details.

Hopefully, we'll all be able to buy masks sometime soon.

Wow - that's a pretty long time. Do you have a major outbreak in the immediate area?

US has passed China and Italy with number of positive individuals. Italy will pass China later today and Spain and Germany are both likely to surpass China in the coming week. It will be awhile before anyone catches Italy and Spain on deaths as they are still adding far more deaths than any other country. Worldometer.

So, the concept of flattening the curve, needs to flatten early and hard like China, or test/trace hard like S. Korea.

I saw an interview of an Italian nurse who tested positive, said that they joked and laughed about China's draconian method; meanwhile, they sat and thinking it is so far away why worry. But these days, a plane ride can reach almost any corner of the world.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom