What was your COVID news for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow - that's a pretty long time. Do you have a major outbreak in the immediate area?

We are in the middle of North Carolina --we have quite a few cases but nothing like California or NY. I think the reason we are getting such a strict lock down is that the medical community has asked for it. The stay home order says they will periodically review the length of the order--could be longer or shorter. I am not sure how it can be enforced--especially the requirement of only one trip per week to the grocery. But there is a provision that you can turn in someone who is not obeying the order. I see that restaurant curb side pick up is allowed also. It is like a ghost town here.

Business Interruption Insurance. When will it pay out? Will it pay for Vrbo or Airbnb hosts who have lost all their bookings due to the virus??
A lot of people have lost a lot of money.

Most likely it won’t. Such policies often exclude losses due to pandemics. Story on one of the local newscasts the other night highlighted the issue.

I just heard our neighboring county closed all parks and trails in the county. Dang, the one thing I thought we might be able to do when the weather improved is now off limits.

We are in the middle of North Carolina --we have quite a few cases but nothing like California or NY. I think the reason we are getting such a strict lock down is that the medical community has asked for it. The stay home order says they will periodically review the length of the order--could be longer or shorter. I am not sure how it can be enforced--especially the requirement of only one trip per week to the grocery. But there is a provision that you can turn in someone who is not obeying the order. I see that restaurant curb side pick up is allowed also. It is like a ghost town here.
We haven't been to a store in 12 days. Seems like many are going daily. That's not helping. We have a pickup for next Tuesday. We'll see how that goes.

harllee, here in Raleigh I saw motorcycle cops on the greenway yesterday. First time I've ever seen that. The greenways will still be open. I'm guessing they may just start cruising to let people know they are being monitored for being too cozy on the trial. I was on a bike and witnessed someone screaming at another biker telling him to go the hell home. I have no idea what his perceived infraction was. People are getting a little crazy out there.

How does this number look when compared to total tests given per day?
Exactly. Part of the reason for the huge jump is we're finally getting those tests out there. More testing capability, including fast turn around tests, are coming on line every day. That's good, but it is going to push the numbers up.

Day 11 of the national lockdown here in France. The "peak" is expected to occur in the coming days. But the government says that we are in this for the long haul (how long in anyone's guess). Hospital capacity is getting stretched in some parts of France (Paris and northeastern France mostly). Yesterday, the government used a medicalized high speed train (TGV) to transfer patients from Alsace in eastern France (the country's main hotspot) to Nantes in western France, where medical ressources are not as strained. A military field hospital was also set up in Alsace to relieve civilian hospitals in the region.

Meanwhile, the rush on groceries seems to be subsiding. There is however some concern about the stability of the food supply chain (despite the fact that much of what we eat is produced in the country). Farmers usually rely on cheap labor from Eastern Europe to harvest fruits and vegetables. But now that the borders are closed, they can't find help. The government has set up a website where people currently out of work due to Covid can be put in touch with farmers looking for hands. Finally, the government has activated the "civic reserve", a corps of volunteers who can, for example, help older people with their grocery shopping or help isolated people maintain a social connection during the lockdown.

For my part, I am doing what I can to help my neighbors. I am printing "passes" required to go grocery shopping for those who do not have printers or are not internet-savvy enough to download the form. I go grocery shopping for elders who have no one else to rely on. And I am using my sewing skills to make washable face masks for people who still have to go out there everyday despite the risk. It's helping me to keep busy, so it's a win-win.

For my part, I am doing what I can to help my neighbors. I am printing "passes" required to go grocery shopping for those who do not have printers or are not internet-savvy enough to download the form. I go grocery shopping for elders who have no one else to rely on. And I am using my sewing skills to make washable face masks for people who still have to go out there everyday despite the risk. It's helping me to keep busy, so it's a win-win.

Good on ya!

And to think it was only a short time ago when the catch-phrase for those who retired early was, "What will you DO all day?" Those were the good old days...

How does this number look when compared to total tests given per day?

I only got the data for the number of confirmed cases. My understanding is that they are mostly only testing people with symptoms so far. Testing in other countries has indicated that around 40% to 50% of people infected by the virus have no symptoms.

Here in Louisville, the mayor made a great move in my opinion. They removed the hoops from all the basketball goals in the parks. Young people wouldn't stop playing basketball. When we'd walk to our local park, you'd see 20+ youths playing basketball on the court. A great way to spread a virus.

Boris Johnson is tested positive, but why is UK using 7 day quarantine period instead of the usual 14 days?

"Boris Johnson will isolate for 7 days following coronavirus diagnosis
From CNN's Luke McGee in London

Prime Minister Boris Johnson speaks to Queen Elizabeth II on the phone during their Weekly Audience on March 25.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson speaks to Queen Elizabeth II on the phone during their Weekly Audience on March 25. Andrew Parsons-WPA Pool/Getty Images.
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson will isolate for seven days after testing positive for the coronavirus.

Staff at 10 Downing Street will observe Public Health England guidelines on contact with the Prime Minister, and will remain 2 meters apart from him at all times in the event they have any contact with him, a spokesperson for the PM said.

The spokesperson said Johnson noticed he had mild symptoms on Thursday afternoon and was tested in 10 Downing Street on the advice of the government's Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty. Johnson got the results of the test at midnight last night.

The 55-year-old Prime Minister has been in self-isolation in his 11 Downing Street apartment, where he will remain, the spokesperson added.

The spokesperson declined to comment on the health of Johnson’s fiancee, Carrie Symonds, who is pregnant.

The official said other people in Number 10 have self-isolated as a result of having symptoms.

Coronavirus in Westminster: The confirmation comes just over a week after a top government adviser on the virus, Neil Ferguson, said he believed he had been infected and warned: "There is a lot of Covid-19 in Westminster."

Ferguson had met the Prime Minister, as well as Whitty, and Chief Scientific Adviser Patrick Vallance. It was unclear, however, where Johnson may have contracted the virus."

We haven't been to a store in 12 days. Seems like many are going daily. That's not helping.
We would prefer going to the stores once a week, but the continual over-purchasing that is going on in our area and the resultant out-of-stock items makes that an impossibility.

+1

What if the grocery stores are emptied out of most items on that particular day?

Good question that I don't know the answer to. I don't think they are really going to be able to enforce the once a week grocery rule but I think they want to stop the habit that some people have of going to the grocery store every day or two. We are to pick up groceries today at Walmart pick up. I hope we get most of what we ordered, if not we will be eating beanie weenies!

Did our first pickup at the grocery store. They were out of milk and orange juice but we got everything else. Had already setup another pickup for next Tuesday morning and modified that order to add the items out of stock today. Still have a good supply of TP and paper towels but depending on how Ties. pickup goes may start adding those in case it takes a few weeks to get some.

We would prefer going to the stores once a week, but the continual over-purchasing that is going on in our area and the resultant out-of-stock items makes that an impossibility.

+1000

Yesterday our health director announced that they expect to see 6,000 to 8,000 new cases per day in our state by late April. When I told DH, he said that's when you don't want to even go out to get groceries anymore. I said that's one of the reasons why I'm continuing to try to keep a few weeks supply, besides a potential quarantine. At some point, I may just have to try online grocery ordering/restaurant delivery and hope we can get enough stuff to feed 4 adults consistently. I can tell DS that he can stop off for takeout burgers more often as he's on his way back from his job at the nursing home. :D

In my county we are on stay home starting tomorrow at 6 pm. You can only go out to the grocery once per week or to the doctor or pharmacy. OK to walk for exercise but must stay 6 feet apart. All parks are closed. The lock down order is in effect until April 30!!!!

Did they shut down UNC?

A lot has been made of the testing, it seems to me if you are sick, stay home! If you start to run a high fever or have trouble breathing, call your doctor. It doesn't matter what illness you have, in most cases it will go away within two weeks, just stay home.

I got educated on why testing could be very important, by Peter Attia!

Supposedly, a LOT of people can't even get through to file for unemployment since the online sites are slammed. The number is probably much higher than the 3.2 million.

I would expect 4-5 million next week, there may be those that are being layed off at the end of the month.

Now the estimate is 10,000 new cases in Ohio daily. We're supposed to start getting slammed within 2 weeks. The peak has been moved later to mid-May. Let the fresh round of panic buying begin. :facepalm: Sigh... :(

+1000

Yesterday our health director announced that they expect to see 6,000 to 8,000 new cases per day in our state by late April. When I told DH, he said that's when you don't want to even go out to get groceries anymore. I said that's one of the reasons why I'm continuing to try to keep a few weeks supply, besides a potential quarantine. At some point, I may just have to try online grocery ordering/restaurant delivery and hope we can get enough stuff to feed 4 adults consistently. I can tell DS that he can stop off for takeout burgers more often as he's on his way back from his job at the nursing home. :D

But if we all backed down and didn't interact, even to constantly cruise the groceries... oh never mind...

I found this Stanford Professor of Medicine/Epidemiology video particularly enlightening. Long but well worth the time IMHO.

Not sure if this qualifies as "news" but it was interesting to me. I've not verified the numbers shown in this video but have no reason to suspect that any part of this is fake news. Regardless, the video presents some useful ideas in understanding how the numbers shake out.

On Edit:

I accessed the web page referred to in the video and found it quite useful. It's an animated graph that allows you to look at the data in several ways - linear, logarithmic, confirmed cases, deaths, country, etc. It appears the web site will continue to update the data periodically. Very interesting, take a look...

https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom