What was your COVID news for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ridiculous, I am surprised that you are letting your son work in a grocery store. Especially since I thought your husband was older. My adult son just got home from Vietnam and I am not letting him work at all since he will be living with us.
I understand where you are coming from. But we have a decontamination plan if he gets the job... Stripping down in the garage and either showering in our outside shower or going straight to the inside shower.

Thank you for your concern. I'm sure it comes from a place if concern rather than judgement.

There is no evidence of widespread transmission of employees working at grocery, department or warehouse stores. The stores have been doing a good job of managing crowds and keeping the areas well sanitized.

We may get to the point where we see recommendations for these employees to be wearing masks and gloves at some point. It’s probably not a bad idea.

I understand where you are coming from. But we have a decontamination plan if he gets the job... Stripping down in the garage and either showering in our outside shower or going straight to the inside shower.

Thank you for your concern. I'm sure it comes from a place if concern rather than judgement.

That was a nice answer, do I remember that you were fairly certain someone in house already had COVID? Is it your son that will work in the grocery store.

In fact someone has to work in the grocery stores if we all want to eat. Thank you to all the people that continue working to get us access to food.

This is the other son, he was at college when his younger brother was sick.

I am basing my decontamination plan on what a friend who works in a hospital does every night before interacting with her family.

Wondering (yah, like everyone else?) how much worse the restrictions on behavior can get. Seems like every week there's some significant new restriction. The latest one apparently is only one food shopping trip per week. Maybe masks will be required next? The sky seems to be the limit.

How they can enforce the one shopping trip per week rule, I do not know. Does it mean you visit only one store per week? Or you exit your home one day a week but can hit as many stores as possible?

I am old enough to remember the gas rationing of the early 70s. You could only buy gas on odd or even days, based on the last digit of your license plate. So maybe something similar might be in play, perhaps not based on license plates. Just too-much-time-on-my-hands speculation. :)

On the other mask, if masks are required, that will provide many with the opportunity to make a fashion statement. Or sell advertising (e.g., a carryout store gives out a mask with each order, with their name and phone number on it :)).

There is a local restaurant that I really like. It's run by two women, one of whom is an excellent chef.

I recieved an email from them yesterday telling us about their plans for life after CV19. They are planning weekend BBQ dinners on the patio area outside their restaurant. And they are opening up an espresso and food stand in a new development that includes, stores and apartments.

I am glad to see some optimism as we head into the peak death time of this awful disease.

Ridiculous, I am surprised that you are letting your son work in a grocery store. Especially since I thought your husband was older. My adult son just got home from Vietnam and I am not letting him work at all since he will be living with us.
If nobody worked in the grocery stores they couldn't stay open. I don't know about you, but I'm grateful that grocery stores are open.

If nobody worked in the grocery stores they couldn't stay open. I don't know about you, but I'm grateful that grocery stores are open.

Me too. In fact, as pointed out a few posts ago, these stores don’t seem to be breeding grounds for new new infections. Perhaps there is something to be learned.

Wondering (yah, like everyone else?) how much worse the restrictions on behavior can get. Seems like every week there's some significant new restriction. The latest one apparently is only one food shopping trip per week. Maybe masks will be required next? The sky seems to be the limit.

The guidance to limit outings to once per week is to stop the number of interactions, the number of chances for spread, the number of illnesses and deaths. Going to the store every day - NOW - seems quite stupid. Once a week should work for pretty much everyone.

And yes if I operate a store I can see it's reasonable to have customers use a face covering for now. My grocery store says Do Not Enter if you are sick. Until we have vaccines and immunity tests, masks sound like a good interim measure as a strong guidance.

If you view these things as overly restrictive and "how much worse" vs. "how much more can we reasonably do to stop this thing" then I'm not going to change your mind.

Me too. In fact, as pointed out a few posts ago, these stores don’t seem to be breeding grounds for new new infections. Perhaps there is something to be learned.

One guy in our area who worked at a big supermarket is dead. A truck driver who delivered groceries is also dead. Hopefully, having the stricter rules we have now will help.

Medscape article discussing use of masks. This article suggested watching and following what the Czech Republic is doing. Medscape article first, then video...

Excellent. Couldn't read the article, but the video was nice. Love the "can do" attitude portrayed in the video showing individual citizens doing their part, right down to grandma with the treadle sewing machine. The USA used to be "can do" like this. Now, well...

I'll make sure to send this to our Surgeon General and his "not effective" tweet. What a terrible tweet.

Last edited:
Rodi, my phone changed your name to ridiculous. My auto correct does that a lot. Yes I am not criticizing but concerned.

Rodi, my phone changed your name to ridiculous. My auto correct does that a lot. Yes I am not criticizing but concerned.
Suggestion: when commenting on a post that is controversial or interesting...please post the # of the original post so we can all go back and look. I don't feel like scanning through 5x pages but I"m interested in reading Rodi's original post. HAGD.

So is Covid a cunning plot? Maybe by the Illuminati or aliens or the wily Chinee or what ever the opposite political party might be? Seems like this gentleman thought so:

Gotta give him points for style.

He should have to take the cost of that train out of his stimulus check

I'm just glad to see that we have such mentally stable people operating our trains.

So is Covid a cunning plot? Maybe by the Illuminati or aliens or the wily Chinee or what ever the opposite political party might be? Seems like this gentleman thought so:

He should have to take the cost of that train out of his stimulus check

I'm just glad to see that we have such mentally stable people operating our trains.

Another thread goes off the rails...

I'm wondering if the reason we don't see a lot of problems from the checkout people in the stores is due to: 1) they are constantly wiping down their areas after each shopper so their hands are constantly in contact with sanitizer which would reduce the problems if they touched their faces, and 2) many stores have erected plex-glass shields between the checkout folks and customers to protect them from coughs/sneezes/droplets.

A day or two ago my local park went from no groups to closed.

Attachments

• park-signs.jpg
    park-signs.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 44
With lotsa time to channel surf, I stumbled across CGTN (China Global Television Network) on my Comcast cable and have been watching a documentary they're looping. Very interesting. Surprisingly open about mentioning mistakes and shortcomings including shortages of masks and ventilators. Their level of forcefulness in handling the Wuhan outbreak (example: moving infected, but not having severe symptoms, people into barrack-like situations immediately and sometimes against their will) looked like something that wouldn't be tolerated here. At least not so far..........

It's well worth watching. In many aspects similar situations to us are depicted, such as exhausted and emotional docs and staff struggling to treat patients. Strongly suggest you look for it on your cable listing.

You may be able to see the same thing by streaming from their web site. https://www.cgtn.com/

The web site has some articles that, at first glance, seem to be propaganda-orientated.
The documentary on TV, much less so. Seems quite matter of fact actually.

I mentioned it before, in Baltimore about 15 years ago a train driver ran a trian set into the BWI airport baggage claim area. After drug testing he claimed he used cocaine for toothaache! And these drives with ovetime made well over 100K/year then.

But let's remember these are the rare exceptions to most of the great bunch.

I mentioned it before, in Baltimore about 15 years ago a train driver ran a trian set into the BWI airport baggage claim area. After drug testing he claimed he used cocaine for toothaache! And these drives with ovetime made well over 100K/year then.

But let's remember these are the rare exceptions to most of the great bunch.

It was only in jest; I do not mean to malign all train engineers. Like every other job, there are mostly good people with a few nuts in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom