What was your COVID news for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I'm sure that in the long run, this too shall pass.

I am quite sure it will pass, just as other calamities before this.

I just take some precaution, so that I will not pass along with it. :)

Our road trip rolled into Las Vegas. DW is wiping the room clean now. Bellagio has sanitizer dispensers near the elevators, at the check in desk, and other places. And placards telling how to stay safe. More people here than what I expected.

ETA - Apple store in Caesars shops is closed to customers but employees are inside and the lights are on, doors closed.

I read that Apple is closing all stores outside of China. All 42 stores inside China have reopened. This means they feel the danger in China is past. How about that?

Last edited:
My 55+ active adult golf community is closing all activities, and all common areas, until mid April. That includes the golf course !

Hey, I just measured my BP as 109/68. Not too bad considering I'm scrambling for a long road trip tomorrow. Pulse is slightly elevated.

I always sit quietly for at least 5 minutes, often more. But I was reading all the scary COVID-19 stuff on this forum when I was sitting quietly. :eek:

I read that Apple is closing all stores outside of China. All 42 stores inside China have reopened. This means they feel the danger in China is past. How about that?
Yep - I read DH the news. Ironic - closed all stores in China. Apple reopened them quite recently. Now they are closing all stores in the rest of the world!!!!

Crazy times!

This virus is spreading like wildfire in New Orleans. In Louisiana we have 77 confirmed cases, one death, and 210 people tested. All but a couple of those cases are in the New Orleans metro area. Last Sunday we had zero cases. I don't know if it is spreading this fast everywhere but it feels like living in a disaster film and it's sure got my attention. Like many places, all the K-12 schools and universities are closed, and no gathering of 250 people or more are permitted.

Tonight F went to his part time "fun job" (sound and light for musical acts at a bar in the French Quarter), and found that one of the two acts cancelled at the last minute due to concern about the virus situation here. Also, rumor has it that the mayor's office is in panic mode and arbitrarily shutting down dozens of bars right and left in the Quarter tonight, ASAP with no explanation. But then who knows if rumors are true. One thing about New Orleans - - the rumors do get out of hand sometimes. Still, F talked to owners of several bars and they all believe this to be in progress tonight.

I might just stay in my house for a few days until things settle down a bit out there. I have plenty of toilet paper and all the water I want running from my faucets, so why not? :D

On the bright side, I got gasoline today and it was the same price as it was the last time.

... there are only 8 active cases in the state, with only 2 in the county.

There are now 12 cases in Arizona. Still only 2 in Maricopa County (Phoenix), which has 4.3 million out of the population of 7.2 million of the entire state. How did the less populous places get the virus? World travelers living there?

I am glad I made the Alaska RV trip 2 years ago. If I showed up now at some of the remote towns, they would come out at me with pitch forks.

Last edited:
Started looking for a belt mounted pouch or holster to hold a small cylinder of hand sanitizer. Failed at the task, so might have to undertake the second sewing project of my life.
Check out a belt attached speed loader pouch. You can get a double or triple model if you are inclined.

Although yours is looking good, problem is the bottle no matter how great the holster is.

Last edited:
I just learned that earlier today the governor closed down the county I live in. He is requesting that all businesses close except grocery stores, pharmacies, and gas stations.

I’m not sure what effect this will have on our master bath remodel that is scheduled to start next week. The tile has been ordered and is due to be delivered to the store on Monday.

Just received a msg from our county health officer through the local alert system that all gatherings >50 people are prohibited and any gatherings >10 people are prohibited unless some specific requirements are met.

Just watching TV that a county across the bay has prohibited mass gatherings >100 people. I'm beginning to understand this hoarding mentality.

Maybe I'll get a better night's sleep tonight; been having a bit of trouble lately.

So, the community college where DW and I attend a few cultural classes go online beginning next week.

They sent us a questionnaire if we have a computer, internet service yesterday. Today, they sent us instructions how to go online for the classes.

This is going to be interesting. Out of the 60-70 classmates from our cultural classes, vast majority of them are seniors some in their 70s, 80s. How many will be capable of getting online for the classes? How about those Pilates and body movement classes? Do we just watch instructors online and perform our exercise in front of our PC?

I just saw Governor Polis ordered CO ski resorts shut down for a week. Big hit to local economies/families that depend on this for their livelihood.

Just got out of the last Rod Stewart Las Vegas concert for a while. The rest of his shows at Caesars Palace are cancelled. He called his band “The Last Band Standing”. Excellent show. Maybe 20% empty seats.

Last edited:
Governor Reynolds announced tonight we now have community spread (officially). So did one last quick grocery store run(should be good for a few weeks) and back to our stay-cation.

Received an email from Graingers Thursday. I found some of the comments interesting

• To put the challenge in perspective, over the past few weeks orders for safety masks exceeded our entire on-hand supply by several years, and in some cases, decades. We are working through this challenge and are leveraging our supplier relationships to quickly obtain available merchandise, but in some cases, shipment timing is still undefined.
• Please understand we must prioritize orders to ensure customers such as the government, first responders and hospitals have appropriate resources to assist those impacted by this virus. All other orders are arranged based on Grainger inventory management commitments, contract obligations and order timing.
• We are working closely with suppliers to maintain the flow of product or find alternates where supplies may be limited. Like many, we are affected by the global shortage of pandemic-related product, including personal protective equipment, which we typically stock to well-exceed customer need–even in significant emergencies.

They have received orders 'exceeding decades of sales'. This is the type of impulse to a system that can create massive problems. Obviously, this huge surge in TP or N95 orders is (probably, hopefully) not the new steady state condition. I saw where one store had modified their return policy. I suspect that if you bought a pallet of hand sanitizer, they don't want you to return half of it when you can't sell it for a premium.

Got a call from Dad's Hospice nurse; all retirement homes like the one he lives in, have a moratorium on any outside visitors. Staff and medical personnel only. She doesn't know for how long. I may have literally seen my dad for the last time yesterday when I visited. They told me if I wanted to bring anything by for him, to call first and they would meet me in the parking lot.

Talked to my sister today, she is still pretty sick with pleurisy. The doctor rang her to check up and let her know that the “slow culture” results should be through tomorrow. Apparently there is a quick test (<4hrs) for Covid19 and a longer “gold standard” test. Yesterday she had tested negative on the quick test.

I asked if they were expecting her at the hospital, and she said that area and entrance is locked down very tightly and she wouldn’t have been admitted if she didn’t have an appointment. The staff inside were all kitted out in fully helmeted hazmat gear with the black tubes coming out of the helmets. She was tested and treated in room with en suite toilet, and when she left the room was going to be deep cleaned ready for the next patient.

It looks like both DS, DS’s girlfriend and DD will be living with me indefinitely until this is over. They are all in college. Classes are delayed and then will be remote until at least the end of April, except for maybe DD. She has labs and we have no idea how the school is going to handle that.

I made another trip to Costco yesterday. I didn’t really plan on having three more mouths to feed. Fortunately, I stocked up on same basic items (rice) a few weeks ago. We should be good for a while, except maybe I should have bought more TP. :)

Btw, Costco was very orderly and well-stocked. Some basic staples were sold out (TP), but otherwise plenty of stuff. They were limiting entrance into the store and wiping down all shopping carts. Same in the store: employees wiping down handles, check-out areas, etc. Getting in the store was quick. The line was practically non-existent. I’ve never seen Costco this slow on a Saturday.

Btw, Costco was very orderly and well-stocked. Some basic staples were sold out (TP), but otherwise plenty of stuff. They were limiting entrance into the store and wiping down all shopping carts. Same in the store: employees wiping down handles, check-out areas, etc. Getting in the store was quick. The line was practically non-existent. I’ve never seen Costco this slow on a Saturday.

I showed up about 15 mins after opening time at Costco yesterday. We were herded to form a line that went around the whole store, told to expect an hour wait to get in. I bailed after about 15 mins. Will try again today.

I showed up about 15 mins after opening time at Costco yesterday. We were herded to form a line that went around the whole store, told to expect an hour wait to get in. I bailed after about 15 mins. Will try again today.

Maybe too early?

I ended up going around 2pm. I thought I was nuts to go, expecting it to be busy. This is in Seattle too, which might explain the difference?

People here might already be stocked up or maybe paranoid to go out. Even though I still see plenty of people around, in restaurants, bars, etc.

I did a supermarket run this morning to pick up a few things. Showed up at opening time, 8 am sharp. There weren’t many people when I pulled in but 15 minutes later there was a steady stream of people arriving. Lots of empty shelves, although I didn’t expect to see the store fully restocked on a Sunday morning. People still stocking up on water and TP.

So far, biggest personal impact is all my volunteer stuff is cancelled (pet therapy visits in nursing homes, hospice volunteer) so this has freed up some time - considering doing a deep clean on the house, doing some good (great?) home cooking, catching up on reading and arts/crafts.

My heart goes out to “my peeps” I visited in nursing homes, their visits are now limited to medical staff only. I’m thinking about something I might do that I could drop off at the desk or doorstop to just let them know I’m thinking of them (handmade card, baked good, something...)

Still taking my dogs out for long am walks which is not crowded (yet - not sure if so many people sticking close to “home” with the entire family for days on end might be gripped by a deep desire to walk the dog)

I did a supermarket run this morning to pick up a few things. Showed up at opening time, 8 am sharp. There weren’t many people when I pulled in but 15 minutes later there was a steady stream of people arriving. Lots of empty shelves, although I didn’t expect to see the store fully restocked on a Sunday morning. People still stocking up on water and TP.

Experienced the same this morning. But no toilet paper or towels there. I stocked up on everything else for a good 3 weeks....maybe longer. Got TP the other day at Dollar General and stopped by again today. Luckily they had towels but they won't have it long as their inventory was low.

This just in... I had my first toilet paper impact. went to walk dogs at a state park there's a sign posted on the restroom that says toilet paper will no longer be stocked in these restrooms for the time being.

So, I may consider carrying a personal supply for these situations.

My dogs remain unconcerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom