What was your COVID news for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the title should be modified to make it clear that it’s your personal COVID news of the day.

I’ve been tracking the North GA outbreak, Governor made an emergency declaration starting today.

I can’t find it again, but one of the official statements was to the effect that folks should make sure they have two weeks worth of household items, groceries, and water.

Water!! :facepalm: What is this obsession with water?!?

Unfortunately, a shortage of bottled water will affect us personally as the well water at DF’s farm house is not great (compounded by old plumbing), and we always buy water for drinking. So we may personally face a serious shortage there if stores run out of water.

But seriously, I am confused about all the hub bub over this virus. Particularly why this virus and not any of the ones prior. Swine flu/H1N1 in 2009 had sickened 61 million Americans and 12,500 died. To date, 1,250 sickened and 36 deaths for Coronavirus. What's different this time around?
Honestly, it surprises me to still see this confusion expressed after well publicized public health disasters (i.e. hospitals overwhelmed) have already hit other countries from this virus. You do realize that the US numbers are just the tip of the iceberg, and that cases grow rapidly as in exponentially? And so public officials are doing everything they can to slow the spread to try to not overwhelm the US healthcare system. Slowing should also result in fewer cases.

The following explains why this virus is far worse than the flu which has a much lower death rate.
According to the World Health Organization, about 3.4 percent of confirmed cases worldwide have been fatal. The "real" death rate for coronavirus is likely much lower than that - because it is new, gaps in detection, testing and confirmation mean there are likely scores of cases that simply went unreported, did not require hospitalization and, of course, did not result in death.

The BBC reports that UK officials believe it is likely 2 percent or lower, and The New York Times reports a medical journal estimated it was as low as 1.4 percent.

Even just 1 percent, though, would represent a significantly higher mortality rate than the regular flu.

If COVID-19 spread to the extent flu does, it would likely result in many more deaths - one reason health officials are so eager to contain it.
https://www.11alive.com/article/new...s-flu/85-d962fe02-12a0-4651-a713-0f7aead70534

It also appears to be more contagious.

Compared to the other new virus outbreaks - I think with the prior ones people generally were showing symptoms before they became contagious. This one has folks spreading it before they exhibit symptoms, and some have super mild symptoms, not realizing they are contagious. It can also take a very long time to exhibit symptoms meanwhile infecting others.
The analysis suggests that about 97.5 percent of people who develop symptoms of SARS-CoV-2 infection will do so within 11.5 days of exposure.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200310164744.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I am due for a haircut, and wonder if my long-time hairdresser wears a mask, or if she minds if I wear a mask (my wife has some cheap surgeon masks). :)

My wife always stocks up more of anything we need, virus or not, so there was nothing we needed to buy. I am curious though, and not leaving the house the last few days, wonder if I should drive to Costco, and Walmart, just to see how busy they are.

The problem with not leaving the home is you would not know if zombies are already roaming the streets. :) Up in my boondock home, we initially did not have the satellite TV, and smartphone data was not available back then either. It felt weird when you stayed up there for 2 weeks, completely isolated from the world. Well, I could still see the highway from my high vantage point, plus a bit of activities at the other homes below me and several hundred feet away. But if there were a major catastrophe, or some assassination, I would not know at all.

But seriously, I am confused about all the hub bub over this virus. Particularly why this virus and not any of the ones prior. Swine flu/H1N1 in 2009 had sickened 61 million Americans and 12,500 died. To date, 1,250 sickened and 36 deaths for Coronavirus. What's different this time around?

There's something different now, because many countries had to set up field hospitals that they did not do before.

I am in a middle of moving across the country (FL -> OR) . Closing is tentatively on the 25th. I have been packing in the last several days. Our stuff will be shipped via PODs next week.

Few days ago, I was debating whether I should drive or fly to OR. But now, I am almost 100% sure that I will drive.

Moving during this time sucks. Talking about stress on top of stress.

Found out a couple days ago that an MD at a local hospital has the virus after returning from Hawaii. Her husband is an MD at another local hospital - awaiting test results, quarantined of course. Local university had gone online so will be doing e-sessions. Also the wife of the Prime Minister tested positive after returning from UK. PM is quarantined for 14 days. My understanding is that both women are doing well so far.

Personally, I am in Vegas - hotel rates are very low. Going to be especially hard for economy here I suspect.

Last edited:
Maybe the title should be modified to make it clear that it’s your personal COVID news of the day.

I’ve been tracking the North GA outbreak, Governor made an emergency declaration starting today.

I can’t find it again, but one of the official statements was to the effect that folks should make sure they have two weeks worth of household items, groceries, and water.

Water!! :facepalm: What is this obsession with water?!?

Unfortunately, a shortage of bottled water will affect us personally as the well water at DF’s farm house is not great (compounded by old plumbing), and we always buy water for drinking. So we may personally face a serious shortage there if stores run out of water.

Slight OT but perhaps you could buy a good filtered water pitcher..its a good backup if you can't get bottled water... have it sent directly to your Dad's place. It should help somewhat with well water taste.

Went to an Aldi's yesterday and the produce section was bare. I mean bare. Why the panic to buy bell peppers, asparagus, celery and lettuce? I thought it was just hand sanitizers and toilet paper..... I bought myself a quart of milk and a quart of yogurt. Plenty of those still. Two of the three local colleges here are canceling all the student activities for a few weeks, which means I will not be able to see the musical recitals I like so much. They may or may not be rescheduled.

Our church (and many others around) has cancelled everything but Sunday worship (which will be done online - something we've never done before). All of the meetings I've been scheduled to attend in March have either been cancelled or moved to conference call. Events into April have been cancelled.

Texas State Parks sent out an e-mail that they are staying open and encouraging people to come out which makes a lot of sense to me, since at most parks there is no problem staying 6 feet away from everyone else. We will decide later today or tomorrow about taking our RV out; we're waiting to see what the weather forecast is as current projections are for a lot of rainy days which are not fun in the RV.

On the good news side, our farmers' market (outdoors) was open this morning and well-attended by both vendors and shoppers. So I stocked up on lots of yummy produce.

Went to an Aldi's yesterday and the produce section was bare. I mean bare. Why the panic to buy bell peppers, asparagus, celery and lettuce? I thought it was just hand sanitizers and toilet paper..... I bought myself a quart of milk and a quart of yogurt. Plenty of those still. Two of the three local colleges here are canceling all the student activities for a few weeks, which means I will not be able to see the musical recitals I like so much. They may or may not be rescheduled.

I wouldn't call it panic our county as of yesterday has no active cases..but at Aldi's yesterday I bought double my usual fresh staples..including peppers.

This is not panic but prudence so I can reduce my public exposure time. If we get active cases locally I will start using the pick up option. Aldi's does not offer it here but 3 others places do.

See, that's how it works.

If I grab 10 bags of salt and put in my grocery cart, the guy next to me might just do the same. :LOL:

Yeah, I bet the general the thinking is 'there are going to be enough idiots out there panic buying, so I better get what I want before they do'. And maybe not a one of them really is worried about the virus, lol. I wonder if all the canned tuna is gone already. Should I even bother? At the state booze store there were a lot of good wine deals. $18 magnums going for $14. Lots of stock on the shelves too.

I bought a 12 pk of TP last fall and when I got home I noticed it rang up half off. I googled it to check the price onlice and could see that their new and improved TP had 75 less sheets a roll so they must have been trying to clearance the old product. I went back and bought the last 2 packs. I thankfully still have 27 mega rolls.

I heard from a lab tech that the local hospital has only a week's supply of face masks left and they are in the process of cancelling all elective surgeries next week while they try and find some more.

I plan to go grocery shopping today. Luckily I'm not picky or a big eater so if all I get is a 10lb bag of rice, sugar, coffee and a multi vitamin I think I'll be fine.

Yeah, I bet the general the thinking is 'there are going to be enough idiots out there panic buying, so I better get what I want before they do'. And maybe not a one of them really is worried about the virus, lol. I wonder if all the canned tuna is gone already. Should I even bother? At the state booze store there were a lot of good wine deals. $18 magnums going for $14. Lots of stock on the shelves too.

Someone in my house just bought a case of 1.75 liter Forty Creek..it was on sale and at one 1oz drink before supper he's good to go until next year...

Started looking for a belt mounted pouch or holster to hold a small cylinder of hand sanitizer. Failed at the task, so might have to undertake the second sewing project of my life.

We had the first confirmed case in my county yesterday, but considering that only 3 people have been tested, I feel sure there are more cases. The individual is a rector at one of our largest Episcopal churches and wasn’t tested until he discovered that someone else who had attended a conference with him had tested positive. He did feel ill after returning from his conference, went to the doctor, was diagnosed with pneumonia and sent home. We were told he has already recovered.

Yesterday, the San Francisco Health Department ordered the closure through April 30 of all meeting spaces in San Francisco that accommodate 100 people.

I had to go to multiple stores yesterday to find some kleenex tissue (allergies and runny nose!). All paper products are out, luckily stumbled upon a few boxes of tissue at the third store.
It's nuts out there.

Started looking for a belt mounted pouch or holster to hold a small cylinder of hand sanitizer. Failed at the task, so might have to undertake the second sewing project of my life.
Find an old flip phone holster.:cool:

My school crossing guard job is on extended spring break for 3 weeks. Our police department contact said the mayor wanted to pay us anyway, which I thought was very nice! But the next email said that the mayor found out that government agencies are not allowed to do that. Oh well, I thought it was nice of them to remember us and try to help out. I save all my pay in my Roth IRA so I won't miss it for a few weeks but I know some of the other guards really need the money.

In the category of much more awful news..... our son just got furloughed from his job. He is a audio engineer for a sound and lighting company. They do large, major events for big corporations, sometimes locally and sometimes out of town. The events are conventions and meetings and celebrations for companies, banks, hospitals, etc. All of them are for gatherings of more than 100 people and involve lots of people traveling, staying in hotels, meeting, partying, eating, drinking, shmoozing and handshaking. Every one of their events planned within the next 2 months have cancelled. There is no work for anyone. They have let go all of the hourly people and a good portion of the salary employees have been furloughed for at least 3 weeks but the end is unknown. The company is solid and strong, no debt, and they have been very busy up until this news so he is hoping that this is short term and all the events get rescheduled.

This is the younger son, 33, with a wife and 16 month old son and a mortgage. Our DIL is a real bargain hunter and can get deep into frugality. In the short term I know they can make it through a temporary fulough. So my fingers are crossed that his company bounces back when all this pandemic stuff is over. But as a mom and grandma it's painful to see this happen to them.

Today cases are reported in my county. Stopped at the local Publix which is on the way home from my run. It was only 9AM but Publix has now gone from almost business as usual to a chicken case that was totally empty. I understand that, because you can freeze chicken. Tuna was depleted but lucky for me people around here don't like sardines. Glad I'm no longer a pork rind girl. I bet those are gone. Produce was also fully stocked.

Now I know why the pool was mobbed with kids yesterday. The schools are closed until the end of March.

HEB, our local grocery chain, announced it would reduce hours to 8am - 8pm daily (normally 6am to midnight) to allow overnight restocking. Photos of empty shelves are all over Facebook.

Last edited:
Lots of things closing around here. I went to gym class as usual this morning because I want to support small local businesses who will no doubt be hit hard. Tomorrow I will go to Mass as usual. This morning I shopped early at Target and got everything I needed--except they were rationing paper towels and TP, and my cat's favorite brand of cat litter was out. The store was fairly sane at 8 a.m. but I expect it got much worse afterward.
I was thinking about social distancing and how nice it is to be an introvert--nothing new to me and in fact enjoyable :)

It has been interesting to see different friends' and neighbors' reactions to the calls for closures and social distancing. One couple sent us an email they were self isolating for 30 days and recommending we do the same, another called us to meet them at a local pub (maybe he meant the Winchester?). One neighbor was rolling their eyes at all the fuss and had a get together planned for that evening, while others were panic buying at the local supermarket wearing gloves and face masks. Most people on our Nextdoor site were taking things seriously, though a few were still calling the epidemic fake news.

Tomorrow I will go to Mass as usual.

The three Catholic dioceses in Connecticut have all excused attendance at Mass. My own church (UCC) is closed for at least the next two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom