What was your COVID news for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in a state (Utah) that is, in general, well run and orderly. This just in on our state Coronavirus page:

“Due to this morning's earthquake and evacuations at our call centers, the Utah COVID-19 Information Line is not available until further notice.”

So, there’s THAT.

So, foraging today for remaining supplies.

We currently have four COVID cases in our county, and two of them died yesterday. They were a husband and wife in their 80's who lived in separate long term care facilities.

Heard on radio a trial with existing, available drugs cured Covid in 100 pct of cases.

Study was being released today. Covidtrial.io

We were scheduled to have a face to face with our FA at Fidelity yesterday to do our IRA / 401K rollovers. We got a call that they had canceled all face to face meetings . We did a phone meeting and initialized everything instead. While on the phone with him he informed us that he had just got a message that starting this am all the Fido offices were going to be locked to all but essential employees and that he would be working from home. My wife is having periodic panic attacks which is why we were moving everything now so we could hopefully have everything in place to begin recovery when it all plays out and starts back up. We also got word that 4 of our camping reservations had been canceled for March and April at govt. COE campgrounds. Blue skys, lollypops and rainbows are probably gone for a while. I'll just laugh to keep from crying.Thinking I may get my motorcycle out and take a calm me down ride to social distance my self. Y'all have a good day!

I think I'm starting to get why the panic buying just keeps going on. People are buying whatever stuff comes onto the shelf so they can get 6 months to a year of supplies, not just 2 weeks as the talking heads on TV suggested. They think everything will just get worse and worse and worse, and prices will double, sky will fall, etc. At my food store today they had lots of signs on many products limiting quantity purchased per customer to 2. I think that's a good idea. I do worry about inflation if a recession occurs. In the 2008 recession there was price inflation and also the stupid shrinking packages.

Went to the bank today. Several people making sizable cash withdrawals.

Bill Gates is doing a live Ask me Anything talk on Reddit right now. So strange to see coherent factual information. Funny thing is someone awarded a gold to his first answer-
yeah free Reddit...for Bill Gates. But the info is good.

All Catholic Masses have been suspended throughout Florida due to the "grave cause" of COVID-19

From the letter from our Bishop: "The Church’s law anticipates that there will be circumstances when participation in the celebration of Eucharist will be prevented because of a grave cause. Public health threats from epidemics have often been considered a grave cause throughout the Church’s history. "

Our Catholic archdiocese suspended Mass and everything else till holy week. School hinted they might close through the end of the year.

My mall closed.

New Mexico now has 28 cases, mostly in the Albuquerque metro, but there is also a backlog of tests that continues to grow so numbers could be greater. Most troubling to me is that one of the 5 cases identified today was not travel related and had no known contacts so may be a result of community spread. The State is now beefing up the restrictions to include closure of restaurants (except for take out and delivery), malls, health clubs, movie theaters, spas, and salons starting tomorrow.

I am sitting in my favorite Mexican restaurant in the mid afternoon, after making sure it is less than 50% occupied, when I read on my cell phone about the restaurants closure. Oops! Good news today is that my 91% rubbing alcohol arrived from eBay so I can make more hand sanitizer and I gave away 6 double rolls of TP to a deserving person.

Our Costco was packed again. I just drove by on the way to stock up on some fast food as DW didn't want to cook today. Costco parking lot was like Christmas. Nothing else in the area was doing much business. Even McD's drive through was pretty sparse - thankfully.

Hung out at the beach today, again...visiting our kid in Florida...most other public places ...museums, etc. have closed.

Local stores seem well-stocked apart from chicken & ground beef...plenty of steaks available.

Hopefully Delta will still be flying when we're supposed to return home this weekend.

Good news today is that my 91% rubbing alcohol arrived from eBay so I can make more hand sanitizer ...
I realize it's in small quantities, but I was always under the impression that constant skin exposure to rubbing alcohol was not a good thing.

I realize it's in small quantities, but I was always under the impression that constant skin exposure to rubbing alcohol was not a good thing.

You mix alcohol with Aloe Vera gel or other such items - I have not made it yet. Also use the alcohol to disinfect electronics but should probably wear gloves too. At home I wash my hands but not always practical if I am at grocery store, pharmacy, etc. And hand sanitizer sold out early on in late February.

In Ohio, hair salons, nail salons, barbershops, tattoo parlors are now closed. All but 5 BMV offices in the entire state are closed. The 5 that remain open will issue/renew CDLs only, to support the supply chain. Law enforcement has been told not to ticket any drivers with expired licenses. Driving exam/testing stations are all closed. (So much for the plan to have DD start learning to drive ASAP.)

Speaking of testing, because of the shortage of swabs, only those who are hospitalized and health care workers showing symptoms are supposed to be tested now. Everyone else is supposed to stay home when sick, plus their entire household even if no one else is showing symptoms, if the sick person has symptoms that could be either the coronavirus/flu/cold. We're supposed to assume it's the coronavirus to protect others.

I'm not sure how employers will feel about that, especially those workers who are needed in essential industries. I understand the abundance of caution behind it though. But if it turns out to be just a cold, then the healthy people stayed home for nothing. I guess the healthy people could call their employers and put the ball in their court.

Employers are to start taking temperatures of all employees (not just at nursing homes now) before letting them proceed into the workplace. A shortage of thermometers was acknowledged, but employers are to keep trying to get them if they don't currently have any on hand so they can start doing this.

DH said there's no way his employer is going to do anything like that. We'll see if he's right. Most of the employees are working from home. He's enjoying the peace and quiet in his work day now.

One of the reporters told the governor that they've heard from people who say they can work from home, but their employers refuse to let them do so. The governor said that if employers don't follow his order to have eligible employees work from home, he will order them to close completely (provided it's not an essential business, which it probably isn't).

I'm not sure about other areas but it is getting hard to find groceries for pick up or delivery here. Many stores that used to have those services are completely booked up. I couldn't find any available days on Instacart for delivery service. Amazon pantry is even shut down currently while they restock. I ended up placing a pick up order at at a local supermarket not on Instacart but the first available date is in a week, and even then I'm not sure how much of my order will be filled.

If you live in an area that doesn't have a shelter in place order now you might want to stock up on groceries while you can. Costco is crazy in many areas but if you live near a restaurant supply store those might be less congested. The one near us has pretty good prices. I keep a stockpile of groceries on hand for emergencies, but I use the pick up services for fresh produce and to restock the freezer.

I'm not sure about other areas but it is getting hard to find groceries for pick up or delivery here. Many stores that used to have those services are completely booked up. I couldn't find any available days on Instacart for delivery service. Amazon pantry is even shut down currently while they restock. I ended up placing a pick up order at at a local supermarket not on Instacart but the first available date is in a week, and even then I'm not sure how much of my order will be filled.

If you live in an area that doesn't have a shelter in place order now you might want to stock up on groceries while you can. Costco is crazy in many areas but if you live near a restaurant supply store those might be less congested. The one near us has pretty good prices. I keep a stockpile of groceries on hand for emergencies, but I use the pick up services for fresh produce and to restock the freezer.

I have a tip for WalMart pickups. Using the phone app it told no times open for the next 7 days. I decided to stay up until midnight to book one in which I though would be 8 days away. However at 1202 on Wednesday morning I was able to book a slot for Today at 11AM...so Walmart only actually books two days in advance, not sure why they show the no slots open for 7 days as it's not correct.

Speaking of grocery stores, three local ones have my email to send me their "specials", and all three have sent out "WE ARE HIRING" notices. Most are also cutting their hours a bit.

-ERD50

I'm thinking hydrogen peroxide would be safe if you can use it for mouthwash and cleaning the ears. It kills viruses and you can use it on countertops and to clean bathrooms.

Speaking of grocery stores, three local ones have my email to send me their "specials", and all three have sent out "WE ARE HIRING" notices. Most are also cutting their hours a bit.

-ERD50
What I've discovered is there are a lot of corps out there with my email address that I didn't know had it. And they are using this as an excuse to reach out to me, even if I told them to never contact me again.

I never thought my beer store would close, but it did. Yesterday they had a sign outside saying they were only taking charge cards, no cash, and you could order online and pick it up at the storefront. A couple guys standing beside their cars, looking at magic rectangles. Placing orders, maybe? I suppose if the order is all done online, their is no need to touch any actual card. I thought I was being paranoid last week when I thought of stocking up on Yuengling Lager. Don't want to order online, so I guess I might try out those overpriced six packs of craft beer at the supermarket. Better rush out and panic-buy before they arrest anyone caught driving without a valid reason.

The great paper towel / TP run may be ending. Spotted several people with Scott and Bounty packs leaving Walmart. They may have just got a shipment in.

Scored a 12 pack of tp at the local supermarket. Limit 1 per person. Also had paper towels, but we’re for than good there.

Not much chicken, no ground beef, but tons of rib eye. Hmmmm, tempting... Tons of dairy, limit 2. Weekend busy n a week day, but not Costco crazy.

Local super Walmart hasn’t restocked to all meat is gone except corned beef. Tons of fish and shrimp though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom