WHO - Confirmed cases doubled in 12 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Georgia is looking grim. Its daily change is up over 35%, per that Corona Dashboard, and climbing. (1,097 positive, 361 hospitalized, 38 deaths. Only 5,484 tested to date out of a population of over 10 million.) And Atlanta's ICU units are at capacity, reports its mayor.

Georgia is looking grim. Its daily change is up over 35%, per that Corona Dashboard, and climbing. (1,097 positive, 361 hospitalized, 38 deaths. Only 5,484 tested to date out of a population of over 10 million.) And Atlanta's ICU units are at capacity, reports its mayor.
Yes, it’s very disturbing seeing the outbreak grow so fast in GA which is where we are temporarily located. I noticed yesterday that it was in top 10 states.

Last edited:
Georgia is looking grim. Its daily change is up over 35% ...

Slow down. Daily changes with such small numbers don't tell a story.

South Korea is on a very good trajectory with new cases and active cases dropping fast and furious. Yet, their daily change in deaths went from 2 to 7, a 250% daily increase.

The state of Georgia may be in trouble, but that number is not a sign of much of anything.

-ERD50

The above got me curious, and I just checked this out.

Dr. Steven Kitchen, chief medical officer at Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital in Albany, Ga., said that the hospital’s three ICUs are full and that the facility has been forced to construct a de facto fourth 10-bed ICU for all other patients, which has also been filled.

Georgia has about 1,100 cases, and the number of hospitalized patients is 361. It sounded like roughly 10% of hospitalized patients are in ICUs.

Last edited:
Last edited:
There's an effort to move patients, both COVID-19 and not, around to other hospitals where there is room.

I wondered how many beds and ICUs Georgia has, and found this number for Atlanta. Atlanta proper has a population of about 500K, but the metro area has 4.6 million.

ProPublica and Harvard report that as of 2018, there were about 12,800 hospital beds in Atlanta and that about 1,600 of those were ICU beds. Nearly three-quarters of them were already occupied...

Last edited:
Much is left out of the story about Putnam Regional in Albany. Many of the rural hospitals in south Georgia have closed in recent years and Putnam Regional is the only hospital that serves quite a large area...so it doesn't take much to max out the capacity of a fairly small hospital. This isn't to say it isn't a big deal, but it highlights a larger problem that is rampant in rural areas.

It is just a matter of time that we will be #1.:(
Sure looks that way and even with a much smaller population than China. China had an advantage of the cases being concentrated in one region. We had it arrive spread out from the get go and from travelers arriving from all over the world. And widespread domestic travel quickly spread it further.

Metric of Highest Importance

The people of the world that have been paying close attention to the pandemic have been chopping up the data by geography in various ways. Early reports were, logically, by country. But its been going down to smaller regions, and I think that is much more helpful.

We are now getting data by state, which is better, but not the 'right' region size; it's not small enough.

Hospitals serve an "MSA" (metropolitan statistical area), and this is the level where data aggregation would be most helpful, IMO. Why? Because the resource that's of the highest concern is ICU beds, and those are pretty exclusively housed in hospitals. Of course, an ICU bed without staff is not helpful, but lets say we don't run out of staff before we run out of ICU beds (which is a good bet, since, generally we have so few ICU beds per capita).

Right now, we need to watch the NYC MSA, because that could be the fate of all cities as the weeks pass. If you say that 5 or 10 times the number of confirmed cases can approximate the actual cases in a population, the ICU beds in NYC are going to be 100% occupied (if they're not gone already...I didn't check that).

There's an effort to move patients, both COVID-19 and not, around to other hospitals where there is room.

I wondered how many beds and ICUs Georgia has, and found this number for Atlanta. Atlanta proper has a population of about 500K, but the metro area has 4.6 million.
Great question. I think the leaders that are making the "stay home" proclamations probably justified their decision based on local intelligence about their population and their hospitals' capacity to treat ICU patients.

The ability to transfer patients might be a sticky one. If I were the mayor that issued a lock-down early and was keeping it's head above water ICU-wise, would I accept patients from some other city that was trying to "keep the economy going" and so didn't lock-down? Tough sell.

Looking at the difference between Italian cities, I think there's hope that some US MSA's will avoid a resource crunch, and other will not. Answering a question above, was the difference between Italian cities just "bad luck", I think the answer is partially "yes", but also how soon and how effective did they get their populations to comply with preventive measures. Spring break in Florida, for instance, is probably going to be viewed as a one of the most colossal mistakes of the pandemic. Time will tell. Stay safe.

Yesterday, someone posted a video showing patients lying in the hall of a Spanish hospital, because there was no available room.

I just saw the news of Spanish patients dying in a hospital waiting room. Death rate has been above 650/day. The running total of deaths is doubling every 3 days. Spain already surpasses China in the number of deaths. Doctors are doing triage, selecting who to help and who to let die. There's a report of nursing homes being abandoned by staff, and residents die unattended. Morgues are full. Bodies are being stored in Madrid ice rink.

It's on Bloomberg site, if you can search for it.

Great info.

Last edited:
One article somewhere in the maze mentioned that the USA cases could eventually be 40-70 million infected.
Even with fast spreading cases right now, how would we ever even get close to this number?
Doesn't sound correct even from a mathematical compounding perspective.

The US has 68,594 confirmed infections as of 3/25/2020. In order to reach that level of 40-70M, we only need a factor of 1000x.

That is easy to obtain by the power of compounding. Doubling a number 10 times will get us 1024x. It's because 2^10 = 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 1024.

How long does it take to double 10 times? Only 30 days, because the number is doubling every 3 days. But does it really double every 3 days? Let's check.

On 3/22/2020, 3 days earlier, we had 33,592 cases. That's roughly 1/2.

Go back another 3 days, on 3/19/2020, we had 13,779. That's less than 1/2, and even worse.

But it's the deaths that's really important, because a lot of people recovered from this illness. Let's go look.

Total number of deaths on 3/25/2020 is 1,027 out of the 68,594 cases. If we increase the number by 1024 by doubling 10 times, in 30 days we will have 1 million deaths.

Perhaps some of the increase is due to more testing recently, and we really only double every 4 days. Then, we will reach 1 million deaths after 40 days instead of 30. Small consolation. Or you can choose 5 days, and gain another 10 days to reach the same number.

If we do the right things, the rate will be arrested and it does not have to be so bad. China did it.

Last edited:
Saw this just a moment ago. Daily % increase of confirmed cases over the past 24 hours:

• South: +32%
  • Northeast (excluding NY): +30%
  • Midwest: +27%
  • West (excluding CA & WA): +23%
  • New York: +20%
  • California: +20%
  • Washington: +11%
See also, Trends by State:
ET_1GQUUYAATJGd

But it's the deaths that's really important, because a lot of people recovered from this illness. Let's go look.

Total number of deaths on 3/25/2020 is 1,027 out of the 68,594 cases. If we increase the number by 1024 by doubling 10 times, in 30 days we will have 1 million deaths. ....

If we do the right things, the rate will be arrested and it does not have to be so bad. China did it.

But of course, doubling just does not go on and on. Even without the right things.

Using your numbers, after ~ 18 doublings ( 2-3 months from now at a 3 day double), every single person in the US is dead. By the 19th, some of us have died twice!

Most people who get it survive, and will have some immunity. The population of elderly, compromised people will dwindle, so fewer 'easy targets' for the virus to attack. That will slow it down.

I know that you know all this, just pointing it out for others who might take those numbers at face value.

Saw this just a moment ago. Daily % increase of confirmed cases over the past 24 hours: ....

Yes, but "cases" have a lot to do with testing. That is a variable, so that is not the trend, unless this is accounted for.

-ERD50

But of course, doubling just does not go on and on. Even without the right things.

Using your numbers, after ~ 18 doublings ( 2-3 months from now at a 3 day double), every single person in the US is dead. By the 19th, some of us have died twice!

Most people who get it survive, and will have some immunity. The population of elderly, compromised people will dwindle, so fewer 'easy targets' for the virus to attack. That will slow it down.

I know that you know all this, just pointing it out for others who might take those numbers at face value.

-ERD50

Of course many people survive. And that's how the projection is 70 million infections, but only 1 million deaths. If we cannot treat 70 million people the same way as we do now due to lack of healthcare, what will the death rate be? I don't know, but is it safe to assume it will be higher?

The poster before me asked how it could be that high even mathematically. I showed him it would be there easily. Of course the rate of infection will slow down, when there are fewer survivors left to infect. Even in the Black Plague, about 1/2 of people survived.

The US population is 330 million. So, the count of 70 million infections and 1 million death is not excessive.

What will hopefully happen is that, long before we hit the 1,000,000 deaths, people will be so scared they take social distancing seriously, and really quarantine themselves. The social spreading will be reduced, but familial spreading will continue.

The infected count and the death count will continue to increase due to momentum even if people are now scared. The death count will peak out at some value lower than that 1,000,000 mark.

What will the final value be? We will know in a few months. I am doing my best to stay around to see that number.

Last edited:
Of course many people survive. And that's how the projection is 70 million infections, but only 1 million deaths.

The poster before me asked how it could be that high even mathematically. I showed him it would be there easily. The rate of infection will slow down, when there are fewer survivors left to infect. Even in the Black Plague, about 1/2 of people survived.

The US population is 330 million. So, the count of 70 million infections and 1 million death is not excessive.

What will hopefully happen is long before we hit the 1,000,000 deaths, people will be so scared they take social distancing seriously, and really quarantine themselves. The social spreading will be reduced, but familial spreading will continue.

The infected count and the death count will continue to increase due to momentum even if people are now scared. The death count will peak out at some value lower than that 1,000,000 mark.

What will the final value be? We will know in a few months. I am doing my best to stay around to see that number.

Well the Imperial College of London just debunked their own report that many credit/blame for shifting to shutdown. Now instead of 1.1-1.2 million deaths in the U.S. with social distancing suppression, they are modeling 92,000 to 520,000 in all of North America (I searched and don't see a separate USA number).

They reduced their best guess forecast for UK by a factor of 12+.

You can find the new Report 12 on their web page. Report 9 was the alarming one.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-global-infectious-disease-analysis/news--wuhan-coronavirus/

A lot depends on people's behavior, which drives the effectiveness of social distancing. I do not know how people model that.

My naive thinking is that the number of deaths is somewhat self-regulating. If there's not enough death, people keep a complacent attitude and party. Then, they get infected and some die. The death count goes up. Now, they are scared, and the rate of death is reduced.

There has to be a certain number of deaths to keep people on their toes. Again, we will know that "equilibrium number" in a few months.

I think populations with a scaredy-cat attitude will die less, such as the Asian countries where we see them wearing masks. It may not be because of the mask effectiveness, but their cautious attitude. The countries who hold "corona parties" will have more deaths. The behavior and attitude of people may be a bigger factor than anything else, including medical care availability.

Last edited:
Wow - and we are still accelerating.

There are a lot of people living in this country..And my second comment is I don't believe the numbers that came out of China particularly in the early going. We started tracking and publishing numbers much sooner.

So most cases in the World. not shocking or surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom