What was your COVID news for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boho

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
See mod post here for explanation of thread https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...ovid-news-for-the-day-102601.html#post2386909

I just received an email that they're closing all public libraries in NY City. And I was wondering, what would happen during a power outage in the heat of summer or if people are flooded out of their homes in hurricane season, in the height of the pandemic? Would all the self quarantined people be stuffed into hospitals or allowed into shelters or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, in the local news, there were 4 more (in addition to the 2 previously announced) corona virus-infected residents in the Lebanon, OR veterans domiciliary.

I just received an email that they're closing all public libraries in NY City.

We're getting there. Orange County, Orlando area, library just announced no more classes or meetings, but the library itself is still open.

AlL schools in Washington are closed for 6 weeks by order of the Governor. Public and private.

Some schools will be used to provide daycare for the children of medical workers and first responders.

AlL schools in Washington are closed for 6 weeks by order of the Governor. Public and private.

Some schools will be used to provide daycare for the children of medical workers and first responders.

Living in eastern Washington, where the majority of people here are blue collar workers, I do not see how they are going to be able to cope with having their 2 to 3 kids, age 7 to 12, home while they have to go to work.

This is messed up.

I would guess that grandparents will be watching the grandchildren if they live close by. That’s how family in Poland is dealing with the situation.

I figure this can be like a "what do you do today" thread - but with a COVID twist...

I'll start.

Today I learned that my younger son in HS (who just went back to school today after 9 days of COVID like symptoms) will be out of school starting Monday 3/16. In theory they will go back after spring break on 4/7. But it was tentative.

Today my older son had off school as the teachers at Cal Poly Pomona learn how to do remote learning. He's still on campus because labs still need in person teaching. He's a chem major and has 2 lab classes. We're debating whether to bring him home and have him drive up there (100 miles each way) on "lab day" once per week. But he wants to stay and unless they offer a refund on housing - I want him to stay.

A mom's group that I participate in (we have been together since our 17 year olds were born) had a whole string of threads on school districts shutting down... San Diego is not alone in shutting down the public schools.

Our district closed until the 24th of April

We went to the biggest mall in the area this afternoon. F wanted to buy a new belt due to his weight loss. There is no grocery store in the mall, mostly just the usual department stores and clothing stores, but the mall was really crowded! We could hardly find a parking space. That surprised me, but I am glad all those people are there keeping the local economy going.

Meanwhile, our local universities and schools are shut down for at least the next month. The parish (=county) is only providing the most necessary services to its residents. No library, no recreation, and so on; just things like water and sewage.

Maybe all the shut-down facilities are encouraging people to spend some time and money at the mall.

As for me, I didn't want to be around so many people, so I stayed in the car while he shopped. Just call me Chicken Little. :ROFLMAO:

This might have some cross-over with the other threads, but I think it fits here?

Daily deaths from COVID-19 in China have dropped to single digits. Eight.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

Single digits in S Korea as well (I know many don't trust China numbers).

Even Italy, which has been hit hard, may be flattening out (a little early to say, but the last three days are about flat).

In the US, there has been in the range of 1 to 8 deaths per day this month. Can you imagine any other cause getting national attention from 8 deaths a day? I'm gonna guess that more people die each day from heart attacks while trying to open pickle jars.

Sure, we need to be alert to this and take reasonable precautions as it is contagious and likely more serious to the elderly/compromised, but we also need some perspective. I fear that some of the reactions are going to cause more deaths than the virus. Let's see, there are 221 M drivers in the US, and about 1.25 fatalities per 100 million miles. So if each driver made an extra 5 mile trip stocking up over the course of this, that's 14 deaths right there. How many more because some people stock up on sanitizer due to the histeria, leaving other susceptible people without?

DW and I went out for drinks and dinner at the local micro-brewery (had a food truck there , as they do most w/e). Place was pretty full.

We stopped at Trader Joes on the way home to pick up a few things for the w/e, and many shelves were bare. Surreal. A few people we chatted with had comments like "I feel I'm in a 3rd world country". It's crazy. Sure, some prep makes sense, but this has been blown all out of proportion.

Apparently, hoarders don't care much for asparagus, those shelves were full (but we already had some).

-ERD50

I've been dabbling in CV stocks in the medical sector. I have one stock (IBIO) that is capable of "fast pharming" a new vaccine by using a plant based base, rather than eggs, so production can be ramped up in weeks, not months.

I have another stock (AYTU) that developed a drive thru testing ability (News reported it after market AH was closed) with results in 5-10 minutes, rather than overnight.

Waiting on Monday to see how these go parabolic.

Picked up step daughter from UCLA. Classes now online, students encouraged to blow town ASAP.

This might have some cross-over with the other threads, but I think it fits here?

Daily deaths from COVID-19 in China have dropped to single digits. Eight.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

Single digits in S Korea as well (I know many don't trust China numbers).

Even Italy, which has been hit hard, may be flattening out (a little early to say, but the last three days are about flat).

Italy now has 17,660 cases, with 1,266 deaths, and 1439 recovered. It's the number of 14,955 patients who linger on hospital beds that causes the trouble. And that is increasing by the thousands each day.

According to the Italian Association of Anesthesiologists and Intensive Care Doctors (SIIARTI), priority should be given to patients with "the highest hope for survival," if hospitals cannot treat everyone.

The guidelines recommend, in extreme circumstance, that an age limit be imposed on who has access to intensive care units. They say that if a patient recovers in a borderline way, doesn't respond to initial long-term therapy, or if their medical situation worsens, a swift decision should be made to cease treatment and begin palliative care.

Already, there was an Italian actor in Naples (far from Milan) who posted a video with the dead body of his 47-year-old sister in the background. She died at home. It is not known why she was not taken to the hospital. It took 36 hours for health officials to come take the body.

Last edited:
Maybe all the shut-down facilities are encouraging people to spend some time and money at the mall. ...

I think this is exactly what will happen. I heard something today about college classes being shut down, so all the bars were packed! Heck, I would have done the same at the time.

What are working parents going to do? If the grade school kids aren't in school, they'll end up in daycare, or some sort of group setting. They are probably better off in school, which could be a much more controlled environment. Easier to manage to keep a school clean and disinfected (they already have staff for this, may need to add to it), compared to a bunch of random pop-up places that will arise to meet the need, with no/little infrastructure in place to deal with these things.

-ERD50

Reactions: W2R
^^^ I think that's why Italy decided to shut down all shops and restaurants.

People are simply not afraid. :) Not until they are turned away at the hospital.

Last edited:
Let's see...

1. dentist's office advised that for the next month, only ER-type appts which means my follow up to implant is on hold.

2. Just received e-mail from the library that the entire system is being shut down starting Monday until the end of March.

On the bright side, we have 28 rolls of toilet paper for the two of us and I scored some garbonzo beans for salads after visiting 4 grocery stores today. I can understand the hoarding mentality based on the inability to get those beans when needed.

Local Covid news includes all public schools closing down until further notice starting no later than Wednesday March 18th. Also, there are 6 confimed cases in the county directly south of me. A few days ago there was only one in the whole state and now there are around 20. Going in the wrong direction.

I forgot, i have faith in humanity...several posts on ND asking if the elderly, disabled or anyone needed any type of assistance. People willing to go grocery shopping or other errands if needed :dance:.

Oldest daughter sent a text asking if a family friend who lives about 15 minutes from her house needed anything. The friend is late 60s with medical issues that would probably be fatal if infected.

Daughter said she's checking up on him since he hates asking for help.

Embrace the good in people it's still there.

I forgot, i have faith in humanity...several posts on ND asking if the elderly, disabled or anyone needed any type of assistance. People willing to go grocery shopping or other errands if needed :dance:.

This makes me smile. Our local nextdoor board is not so helpful.

We've been trying to figure out where, when and how to grocery shop to minimize our exposure. I tried grocery pick up for the first time today at a local supermarket. I ordered and paid online, texted when we got to the parking lot, got the reserved spot in front of the store and they brought out our bags. They were out of a few things but overall it was a very good experience. The store was slammed with customers, many wearing masks, so I think we made the right call.

One by one all the museums, theaters, music venues, and libraries are all closing up here (Bay Area) for at lest a month or so. Schools and universities are shutting down or going online.

This makes me smile. Our local nextdoor board is not so helpful.

Our Nextdoor site is starting to see some people reaching out to help. I’m thinking about posting myself. I’d like to help someone out, but I’m also concerned about making things worse. A couple of the people who have posted say they have medical backgrounds. I’d just hate to learn of someone suffering needlessly if all it took to help was a trip to the store or something along those lines.

My covid news today:
Big house still hasn’t sold although we had two showings yesterday.
Both college kids are going to online classes.
One student housing tenant decided to move out and then undecided to move out due to her “freaking out” and also my threat to enforce the lease.
Five Airbnb guests cancelled . Lost $3000 in bookings. That will just kick the can down the road bc all of their events have been postponed until late summer or fall. Still expect May bookings to fall like flies.
Called Rocket mortgage to refinance and they quoted 3.65% . Rep said to wait until their “throttle pricing” has relaxed in a few weeks and we can get under 3%.
76 YO parents Called and said they can’t find toilet paper in the store so they bought paper napkins. Ouch!
That’s a wrap from here!!

DW teaches 2nd grade. Late this afternoon her district announced closure of all schools until March 30. Their Spring break starts April 6, so we hope March 30 eventually becomes April 13. We will happily social distance for four weeks. DD came home from CSUSF yesterday as they switched to online courses for the next few weeks (likely to be extended until end of semester). DS goes to USF and they also are online for the next few weeks. Might see him after he visits GF in Chicago. Very happy that DW will be home as 2nd graders are an infectious lot. First in-town COVID-19 death was this week at an assisted living facility less than 2 miles from the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom