Hand sanitizer: how to "flatten the curve"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spock

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
1.4gal of hand sanitizer per person per WEEK

A little early morning math:

There are lots of DIY hand sanitizer recipes floating around including one from the World "Health" Organization (WHO).
Sanitizer can be made with various alcohols: Isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) and ethyl alcohol (ethanol) are two popular ones.
Ethanol = grain alcohol... the stuff you get at a liquor store.
Ethanol in hand sanitizer needs to be 60-70% or higher (120-140 proof or more). Ex. Everclear is made in various concentrations from 120 to 190 proof.
Typically 10-15% of the gas you pump into your tank is ethanol. Ethanol is cranked out by the tanker car load all over the country but primarily in the mid-west.

With nobody driving much right now we should have surplus production capacity of ethanol. If the feds would lift the requirement to put it in gas tanks for awhile, all of it would be available as a disenfectant.
Per https://neo.ne.gov/programs/stats/inf/122.htm, in 2018 the US had a nameplate production capacity of 16,311 Million gallons of ethanol per year... mixed at 70% that's 63.8M gallons a day or right about 1.4 gallons per WEEK per man, woman, and child in the US. (yes... there are other considerations to factor in... this is just to get the idea across).

Add in every boutique distillery, moonshiner, craft breweries and maybe even home brewers (bathtub gin anyone?) should be able to provide enough alcohol to create a mister system at every grocery store entrance (not practical, but you get the idea). We could have gallons of it to disinfect surfaces, amazon deliveries, you name it. Fog the hospital buildings with it. Continuously.

Use your imagination. Instead of those construction hats with two beer cans mounted on the sides at a party, make a personal mister system spraying alcohol into your personal breathing space.
Wanna another use of the Defense Production Act? If the feds would forego the tax revenue (and society could put up with idiots drinking hand sanitizer), we should have enough sanitizer available to "flatten the curve".

"Cheers".

Last edited:
I keep seeing stories about local distilleries converting themselves into hand sanitizer factories. Most of them are donating their production to hospitals or other facilities, but here's one that's selling at least some of their output: https://mcohandsanitizer.com/

^^^ Got my belly laugh dose for today.

I think I used hand sanitizer for the first time in 5 years just yesterday, after going through a drive-thru take order. My wife used it, and I thought I might try it....now I remember why I don't ever use it, it stinks, it's cold, and it dried out my hands that are already dry/cracked from hard work.

Who sanitizes the public use bottle of hand sanitizer (the one everyone uses the same pump handle) ?

IWho sanitizes the public use bottle of hand sanitizer (the one everyone uses the same pump handle) ?
From what I've seen, no one. Same goes for some of the self-checkout stations, and even the stores that do it don't always get every station disinfected before the next shopper checks out on it.

If a store has a motion-detected dispenser or single pull sheets, I may use those, otherwise personal bottle use for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom