Can't/won't get that any more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine

Full time employment: Posting here.
In December I concluded I needed new glasses. But I procrastinate. And now it's out of the question to go to an optician and sit in front him/her while they do their thing.

I could kick myself behind but here i am. :facepalm:

And then there is my hair! When I was much younger I cut my hair myself. I think I may have to look into that soon. :ermm:

What do you find you can't or won't do any more?

I was just thinking today I will never pick up and use that divider stick at the grocery store checkout again. Sorry not sorry.

I cut and color my own hair so I can still do that!

we had already begun trying out grocery pickup prior to this after returning from a long trip and knowing there was nothing in the house. But I see going forward, I prob wont buy enough groceries to ever need a cart walking thru a store. I will curbside pickup.

In December I concluded I needed new glasses. But I procrastinate. And now it's out of the question to go to an optician and sit in front him/her while they do their thing.
<snip>

What do you find you can't or won't do any more?

Have you tried Zenni if you have a copy of your prescription? It's all on-line. I got prescription sunglasses and was very happy with them.

Major frustration right now is that I can't visit the grandkids- the things I used to do with them are out of the question anyway. Starbucks (they love cake pops) is drive-through only, Zoo is closed, can't take them for haircuts at Shear Madness.

Petty stuff in the grand scheme of things but still unhappy news.

Have you tried Zenni if you have a copy of your prescription? It's all on-line. I got prescription sunglasses and was very happy with them.

Major frustration right now is that I can't visit the grandkids- the things I used to do with them are out of the question anyway. Starbucks (they love cake pops) is drive-through only, Zoo is closed, can't take them for haircuts at Shear Madness.

Petty stuff in the grand scheme of things but still unhappy news.

www.eyebuydirect.com

I'm seriously considering dropping my gym membership, although I need to balance the risk of contracting the virus with the cardiovascular, strength, and stress reduction benefits.

I doubt I'm alone in this thought.

I'm seriously considering dropping my gym membership, although I need to balance the risk of contracting the virus with the cardiovascular, strength, and stress reduction benefits.

Yeah the gym... I don't know that it will ever be worth it for me, as where I live I can exercise outdoors almost any day.

Have also been thinking about this. If not the gym, the personal trainer. Unfortunately, DH and I prepaid so if we don't go back, we'll be out ~$2K as this is non-refundable. This is one of those things we'll just have to wait and see, same as cruising. Will probably look at it differently if and when either a vaccine or treatment comes to pass.

Done with church pot-lucks. Probably even after this crisis resolves with widespread vaccination.

I think I will probably volunteer a little less. Nothing to do with catching an illness - more to do with realizing how much I love just being home. (but I know me - I can't say 'no' and as soon as volunteer opportunities open back up I'll be back to 20 hrs a week).

I do enjoy curbside grocery shopping. I can make my list and adjust it a dozen times before placing the order. No more faceslapping because I forgot something :) I'll probably do more of that going forward using in the store shopping only for fresh foods (meats, veg, fruit).

We will think twice about going to open buffet restaurants.

A cruise is off of our bucket list.

I have to reconsider our reliance on re-use grocery bags. Ours are all from Trader Joe's. Cheap ($0.99) and they last a long time. In the past, all meat, poultry, and produce have gone into store-provided plastic bags before going into our cart and then into these re-use bags. From time to time, I've cleaned them, probably more than most people by the looks of them in the stores, but also probably not enough to disinfect.

We lived in California until late 2018, and we were required to use re-use bags (or no bags) there. No such requirement exists here in central Texas, but there were signs everywhere asking people to use them if they had them. Not sure what the recommendations will be going forward.

Mt wife and I have always used hand sanitizer liberally at restaurants. After handling the menus. After loading a plate at a buffet. For sure we will continue our practices at all restaurants.

We'll reconsider which restaurants we choose to go back to in light of recent events.

I was going to get new lenses in my old frames, but like OP I’ve put that off. We were going to blow some of that dough on a Swiss rail vacation but that’s off for multiple obvious reasons.

I cut the wife’s hair today. I’d have preferred to tell her her pants aren’t why her butt looks big. :LOL:

I'd like to stay away from shaking hands with others.

I will try to make permanent changes.
1) no shaking hands. I have a friend that doesn't shake hands and it isn't a big deal when he is introduced. This opportunity will make it easier to change a habit.
2) no cruises. I haven't been on a cruise and wasn't anxious to cruise, but I thought someday it would be something to try. Not anymore.
3) no more buffets. Not a great fan anyway, but DH likes that kind of thing. I need to make buffets a solid no.

I never was interested in high density housing, but I'm even less interested now. Forget about downtown large-city livings. No high rise condos. Delay assisted living or worse as long as possible, esp. if high density and shared dining. I'm an introvert at heart and this is a good excuse as any.

The news that some places were essentially confining residents to their rooms made me anxious. I can shelter in place on my outdoor patio with a mountain view pretty much year 'round. I can also bike or walk for miles without getting close to anyone. 24/7 indefinite confinement indoors? Sounds like prison.

we had already begun trying out grocery pickup prior to this after returning from a long trip and knowing there was nothing in the house. But I see going forward, I prob wont buy enough groceries to ever need a cart walking thru a store. I will curbside pickup.

That's my thinking as of now. But if a vaccine gives us close to 100% protection I will probably go back to store shopping. I wonder how effective a vaccine will be? If it's like a flu shot I won't have much confidence in it.

A cruise is off of our bucket list.
+1
Buffets will have to change. Maybe give every table a pair of tongs to use and wash before reusing. Food is not the issue-at least for this bug.

I will try to make permanent changes.
1) no shaking hands. I have a friend that doesn't shake hands and it isn't a big deal when he is introduced. This opportunity will make it easier to change a habit.
2) no cruises. I haven't been on a cruise and wasn't anxious to cruise, but I thought someday it would be something to try. Not anymore.
3) no more buffets. Not a great fan anyway, but DH likes that kind of thing. I need to make buffets a solid no.

That is pretty much my list of permanent changes, but adding to it: Kissing and hugging hello or good by. We have have a small group of friends where that [-]is[/-] was the normal practice. Not so much any more.

I never was interested in high density housing, but I'm even less interested now. Forget about downtown large-city livings. No high rise condos. Delay assisted living or worse as long as possible, esp. if high density and shared dining. I'm an introvert at heart and this is a good excuse as any.

The news that some places were essentially confining residents to their rooms made me anxious. I can shelter in place on my outdoor patio with a mountain view pretty much year 'round. I can also bike or walk for miles without getting close to anyone. 24/7 indefinite confinement indoors? Sounds like prison.

We're not in quite as remote a spot but life has still been pretty good. We're grateful for nice weather, a wooded backyard with a grill and patio, lots of nearby parks, walking trails and scenic mountain views from the neighborhood. We still see our neighbors as many are out walking and we chat from a social distance. I have a lot of projects and hobbies at home.

We never downsized so if our adult kids lose their jobs they can move back home as a fallback option. If we have a long recession or depression, California laws are making it easy these days for garage conversions and backyard cottages which means they could even have their own spaces.

But we also used to go out a lot to plays, concerts, dancing, club events and dinners out with friends at crowded restaurants. Most of our outside the home hobbies were with big groups of people so we're having to rethink that. I see more hiking, picnics, outdoor activities and much smaller get to-gethers in our future. Maybe the outside activities will be cheaper and healthier anyway.

I think I might be done with attending church; still all in on God though. Just finding it more meaningful to simply love my neighbor by volunteering with hospice and doing pet therapy in nursing homes - these turned out to be the people I miss the most while in quarantine. Sunday is now a day of actual rest and reflection. This month, I used our tithe to purchase gift certificates from local businesses which seems (for me now), well, neighborly.

I'll still design and offer contemplative retreats with an interfaith focus. And then see what comes next.

Last edited:
Frank and I plan to age in place, in our houses right where we are.

But before the pandemic, my Plan B was to move into a CCRC or some similar facility if/when I needed additional care. My mother did that in Hawaii, and it worked out quite well for her during her last decades. I had already researched local facilities here in New Orleans, and the facility at the top of my list to investigate further was Lambeth House which appeared to be an excellent choice.

However 19 Lambeth House residents (out of about 200?) have died from COVID-19 in the past month or so and many more are ill with it. I just couldn't bring myself to live there, or even visit that facility after all this. In fact, given that many other similar facilities have been so badly impacted by COVID-19, I think Plan B has been eliminated entirely from my planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom