Can't/won't get that any more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like it could be a little risky depending on the makeup of the remnants, but interesting nonetheless.
Would probably go to a bidet first if going that route.

Still looking for an unpowered basic washlet on Amazon that doesn't have a "it leaked" in the reviews...

Cruises are off our list for sure. Probably less travel anyway, or drive rather than fly if possible.
Less restaurants, but will continue with hand sanitizer use after handling menus, as usual.
Definitely no handshaking
Most likely less in store shopping and more curb side pick up for groceries--seems to work well so far.

Travel in general will drop considerably. I just transferred 5k to Ally Bank for another CD. Sad.

This is a link to an article about the danger of being TOO clean. It says you need regular exposure to germs to keep your immune system working properly. I believe it. I'm going back to my life as it was- cruises and all!

https://health.usnews.com/wellness/...s-could-more-dirt-and-germs-boost-your-health

It actually suggests reducing use of chlorine based cleaners, skipping antibacterial soaps, and having closer interactions with people

Last edited:
We cruise every year and don’t know if I will ever feel safe doing that again. No buffets and a large gathering will have to be worth it. Definitely no handshakes.

We are getting close to "back to normal" again (around here, anyway). I was in Walmart today and the toilet paper isle was chock full of every brand imaginable. I didn't see one shopping cart with any TP in it while I was there.

Oh, and paper towels were populated the same...with mega packs of Bounty plus house brand.

Milk, eggs, chicken, beef, etc....all in huge quantities. :)

I get what people here are saying, but I'll factor in how good the vaccines and anti-viral drugs are before I come to a complete conclusion.

As for one-use plastic bags, I'd understood the big issue was their not being properly disposed, not their production & use impacts.

This is a link to an article about the danger of being TOO clean. It says you need regular exposure to germs to keep your immune system working properly.

Thanks for that ... my MIL was a home ec major. My standards are not as high.:LOL:

I’m not convinced that life will be significantly different several years from now. I assume we will eventually come up with a vaccine or the virus will just eventually be eliminated, like SARS, Ebola, MERS, and all of the others that have come and gone.

I never liked shaking people’s hands so I do hope we can get away from that. I never ate buffet food because of the sanitation issues of all those people handling the utensils.

I always washed my hands in the restaurant after touching the menus because I know how germ infested they are.

I generally avoided large gatherings like concerts or basketball games because I don’t like being around such large crowds. Although in the past it was probably more related to mass shootings. We don’t even think about those right now.

I might still go on a cruise ship some day. Probably not until we have a definite cure for COVID-19.

I’m still going to Costco and grocery stores so I don’t see that changing. But I rarely shop in malls any more. Almost everything I need now comes from Amazon outside of groceries and paper goods.

I never was interested in high density housing, but I'm even less interested now. Forget about downtown large-city livings. No high rise condos. Delay assisted living or worse as long as possible, esp. if high density and shared dining. I'm an introvert at heart and this is a good excuse as any.

The news that some places were essentially confining residents to their rooms made me anxious. I can shelter in place on my outdoor patio with a mountain view pretty much year 'round. I can also bike or walk for miles without getting close to anyone. 24/7 indefinite confinement indoors? Sounds like prison.

From a societal viewpoint I think future novel viruses will be greeted with massive testing and quarantine, maybe not so much lockdowns. But that won't keep you from dying if you get it (depending on the virus). I think the long-term trend of moving from rural to urban areas might shift backwards. More sprawl, more cars, but more safety. This might appeal to us older folk more than the young, but we'll see.

Not too long ago we decided we liked towns around the 150,000 mark or so. Good balance between urban options and size/density. It is possible we will shift towards slightly smaller population ranges.

One major issue that comes to mind with all of this is that at a certain point an area's population density can overwhelm hospitals in a pandemic. Part of the solution involves thinning the density. Part of it is probably more universally available, cheaper health care. Finding the sweet spot will be the challenge going forward.

One thing that COVID-19 has achieved is to highlight just how deadly the regular flu is, and how indifferent we've generally been to it. Hopefully we'll see a 'universal' flu shot in the near future so we can move beyond this like we have so many other viruses. Until then, masks will be common in airports/airplanes, restaurants, etc. Disposable gloves too.

Remember when people who always wore gloves and masks were just hypochondriacs? LOLOL

This is a link to an article about the danger of being TOO clean. It says you need regular exposure to germs to keep your immune system working properly. I believe it. I'm going back to my life as it was- cruises and all!

https://health.usnews.com/wellness/...s-could-more-dirt-and-germs-boost-your-health

It actually suggests reducing use of chlorine based cleaners, skipping antibacterial soaps, and having closer interactions with people

I’m in this camp so I didn’t have (and generally don’t buy) Clorox wipes, hand sanitizers, strong disinfectants, etc. And now, these things are unobtanium. I do have a little bleach on hand.

So, we are proceeding with regular hand soap, fabric gloves we had around the house and fabric masks we made. That’s it. So, we’ll see...

Thanks for that ... my MIL was a home ec major. My standards are not as high.[emoji23]
Mine either. Which is fortunate as I have teenage boys and a husband who works in the woods. They are always tracking something through the house. If I were a neat freak it would drive me crazy.

Frank and I plan to age in place, in our houses right where we are.

But before the pandemic, my Plan B was to move into a CCRC or some similar facility if/when I needed additional care. My mother did that in Hawaii, and it worked out quite well for her during her last decades. I had already researched local facilities here in New Orleans, and the facility at the top of my list to investigate further was Lambeth House which appeared to be an excellent choice.

However 19 Lambeth House residents (out of about 200?) have died from COVID-19 in the past month or so and many more are ill with it. I just couldn't bring myself to live there, or even visit that facility after all this. In fact, given that many other similar facilities have been so badly impacted by COVID-19, I think Plan B has been eliminated entirely from my planning.

That's a good point. I figured we move into a snior housing type facility somewhere down the road, but now? You have to wonder how they will be affected in the future. Some could struggle financially with lower occupancy rates.

I have to reconsider our reliance on re-use grocery bags. Ours are all from Trader Joe's. Cheap ($0.99) and they last a long time.

Love those bags.

If you have the ones that are more of a cloth material - not plastic - can you wash them in the washing machine.

No planned changes. May go on more cruises—buy one week get one month free.

From a societal viewpoint I think future novel viruses will be greeted with massive testing and quarantine, maybe not so much lockdowns. But that won't keep you from dying if you get it (depending on the virus). I think the long-term trend of moving from rural to urban areas might shift backwards. More sprawl, more cars, but more safety. This might appeal to us older folk more than the young, but we'll see.

Not too long ago we decided we liked towns around the 150,000 mark or so. Good balance between urban options and size/density. It is possible we will shift towards slightly smaller population ranges.

One major issue that comes to mind with all of this is that at a certain point an area's population density can overwhelm hospitals in a pandemic. Part of the solution involves thinning the density. Part of it is probably more universally available, cheaper health care. Finding the sweet spot will be the challenge going forward.

Massive testing and quarantine with continuing damages to the economy, or a general long term shutdown of international travel? I'll take B every time.

Exactly! And actually probably all my money back plus free future cruise.

Just saw a headline that CDC has increased the cruise ban for another 100 days. I mentioned somewhere that I thought the cruise industry might have killed itself after their bad judgement and got some pushback, but it's not looking good for them.

That's a good point. I figured we move into a snior housing type facility somewhere down the road, but now? You have to wonder how they will be affected in the future. Some could struggle financially with lower occupancy rates.

Senior housing developments were already taking a beating before this virus as more and more seniors decided to 'age in place'. Today:confused: Well, let's just say I won't be investing in senior housing builders any time soon.

We have some good friends who just moved to a CCRC and were real happy.

Until this happened.

Now they are under virtual lockdown with all kinds of restrictions. The amenities they loved (clubs, pool, hair salon, etc.) are closed. Dinners by take out. Nobody but residents and employees come in. Residents can go out, but they have been "schooled," for lack of a better term, as to what they can do when out. (Hint: don't visit the grandkids. Groceries only.)

We have some good friends who just moved to a CCRC and were real happy.

Until this happened.

Now they are under virtual lockdown with all kinds of restrictions. The amenities they loved (clubs, pool, hair salon, etc.) are closed. Dinners by take out. Nobody but residents and employees come in. Residents can go out, but they have been "schooled," for lack of a better term, as to what they can do when out. (Hint: don't visit the grandkids. Groceries only.)
All my "amenities" are closed too, and we don't live in a CCRC . :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom