Short Memories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was pleasantly surprised when the lockdowns began, people really were staying home judging by traffic and businesses did close. In essential stores and elsewhere more and more people were wearing masks, maintaining distance with/out floor marks and using hand sanitizer.

Then we started reopening phase 1 on May 8, and phase 2 on May 22. It wasn’t readily apparent at first - but it’s very clear now. We’re seeing fewer and fewer masks and over half the people don’t seem to care about distancing.

Employees are wearing masks, marks on the floor and plexiglass has gone up many places. Some businesses are seriously enforcing, some don’t seem to care at all - evidently it’s window dressing for some...

Sad.

We’ll continue to wear masks in public, wash hands/use hand sanitizer, keep our distance (regardless of others), do takeout instead of dine in and consolidate trips out.

The precautions aren’t at all difficult to observe, and there’s still plenty we don’t know about SARS2, it’s sad most people already don’t care anymore.

I've gone out almost every day since 1/1/20.
I'm glad you're maintaining your own personal well being midpack !
I try to not rely on others either.

Good luck & best wishes.

Last edited:
I agree.

I have had friends text me that they have been out shopping and to dinner. I have seen others on Facebook showing parties with many people. I had a friend call, wondering if I had changed my mind, about coming to play games at her house with two other friends.

I have not been inside a store or restaurant, since this started. We pick up our groceries and have done take out a few times.

I am praying that none of my friends don't get it.

We'll all die of something. Living in fear is no life.
Good luck to you that live your life in fear. After 40 years running and starting businesses I fear nothing at all.

Good luck to you that live your life in fear. After 40 years running and starting businesses I fear nothing at all.

Total nonsequitur. And that last part.... Sorry. Fibbing. But I hope you will be playing in traffic. Hey, ya gotta die from something right? See how absurd?

Everybody knows they will die from something but I'll bet nobody wants it to be from you. Not fear. Math.

I don't live in fear, but I do live in understanding. So I don't smoke, I use a seat belt, I use sun screen, I wear a mask when among others, maintain distance, and I wash my hands for a minimum of 20 seconds when I get home.

It's not fear.....it's common sense to manage your own well being.

Last edited:
Simply wearing a mask and maintaining reasonable distance in public is 'living in fear?'

I think too many people are equating "reopening" with "it must be safe now."

It's no safer today than it was on March 15th, or April 25th, or last week. The only thing that has changed is many areas are past the peak, and most states have data to show that their hospitals can handle the volumes. That's it.

The rest? On us - distance, masks, etc. Not fear, sensible.

Yes, we all die of something but what does that even mean. I'm not zen enough to raise the odds on sooner when I can mitigate that with some simple things, and when I'm hoping for about 48 more years, thank you very much.

As things reopen I personally see an analogy with driving. You are not guaranteed to avoid an accident, injury, or or death every time you drive. You can take every precaution necessary, but all it takes is one reckless person. But that does not leave me to cower and fear and stay inside. I simply take as many precautions as I can when I drive (though it is almost impossible to "auto distance" as we were taught during driving school :)) and hope for the best.

Each of us gauges different level of safety when driving. Few *always* obey the speed limit. Many of see the speed limit as a "guideline" and not the law. But if we are caught breaking that law, we have to take responsibility.

So I view myself, going about in my mask and social distancing and gloves and hand sanitizer, as a "virtual drive", and try to follow the same driving protocols I use to keep safe, and others on this "road" safe from me, when actually driving. Life is a risk, no one is guaranteed good health or life tomorrow, so one just does the best one can and enjoy what they can do.

We’re in the east bay of San Francisco. I’m really disappointed with how people are disregarding the wear mask in public law. Almost nobody wears one and very little distancing. It’s such a small thing to protect the sick and elderly.

Total nonsequitur. And that last part.... Sorry. Fibbing. But I hope you will be playing in traffic. Hey, ya gotta die from something right? See how absurd?

Everybody knows they will die from something but I'll bet nobody wants it to be from you. Not fear. Math.

math. illinois population = 12,000,000 (rounded). total cv19 cases so far = 120,000 or 0.01% of the population and that's not removing the % of cases in nursing homes. total deaths in illinois = 5390 or 0.044% of cases. of those 5390 deaths approx 2747 were in nursing homes making deaths in the gen population who had the virus roughly 0.022% (2.2%).

let's take this down to my county level.

total population = 923,000. total cv19 cases here = 7717 or 0.008% of the population. total cv19 deaths = 371 or 0.048% but of those deaths 256 were in nursing homes making deaths in the gen population who had the virus 0.015% (1.5%).

i've been in and out of stores here and in AZ since this started. i do our grocery shopping early saturday mornings not because i'm avoiding crowds but because the shelves are stocked better. just bought a new table at wally for our deck today. we've associated with neighbors and had an outdoor pizza party with two other couples last night. we wear masks when shopping because the stores say we have to, not because we are scared. life goes on. life must go on.

math. illinois population = 12,000,000 (rounded). total cv19 cases so far = 120,000 or 0.01% of the population and that's not removing the % of cases in nursing homes. total deaths in illinois = 5390 or 0.044% of cases. of those 5390 deaths approx 2747 were in nursing homes making deaths in the gen population who had the virus roughly 0.022% (2.2%).

let's take this down to my county level.

total population = 923,000. total cv19 cases here = 7717 or 0.008% of the population. total cv19 deaths = 371 or 0.048% but of those deaths 256 were in nursing homes making deaths in the gen population who had the virus 0.015% (1.5%).

i've been in and out of stores here and in AZ since this started. i do our grocery shopping early saturday mornings not because i'm avoiding crowds but because the shelves are stocked better. just bought a new table at wally for our deck today. we've associated with neighbors and had an outdoor pizza party with two other couples last night. we wear masks when shopping because the stores say we have to, not because we are scared. life goes on. life must go on.

Percents are hard[emoji851]

ut of stores here and in AZ since this started. i do our grocery shopping early saturday mornings not because i'm avoiding crowds but because the shelves are stocked better. just bought a new table at wally for our deck today. we've associated with neighbors and had an outdoor pizza party with two other couples last night. we wear masks when shopping because the stores say we have to, not because we are scared. life goes on. life must go on.

So you think people wear masks because they’re scared? Maybe they are wearing masks out of consideration for other people.

I don't fear it and will live life, but I'm not going to be stupid about it either, and not take all safety avenues I can.

Darwinism will take care of those not wearing masks and also not maintaining distance. The rest of us can just hope we don’t catch it from them.

So you think people wear masks because they’re scared? Maybe they are wearing masks out of consideration for other people.

i have no idea why all people wear masks but i’m certain that some do wear them out of fear based on comments in the various forums i read.

By all means, head to your nearest airport and start licking doorknobs.

When I'm in public buildings, I wear
a mask.
When I drive my car, I wear seatbelt.
I guess I'm just funny that way.

I'm gonna wear my mask for my next driver license photo.

Darwinism will take care of those not wearing masks and also not maintaining distance. The rest of us can just hope we don’t catch it from them.
Like many other ‘personal choice’ actions - I’d agree with this if we didn’t have to chip in substantially for their health care...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom