Availability of Public Bathrooms

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am interested in doing a trip by car. I can get to my destination in less than a day and I can pack my food and beverages but I will need to stop at least twice for bathroom breaks. I have made this trip many times and the usual places I stop for bathroom breaks are not open. The visitor center I normally stop at has not reopened and the fast food places are open for drive through only. There are some gas stations that are open but my experience in the past with them is not good--usually dirty. DH might be able to go behind a tree but for me (female) that is a more difficult option.

What are folks who are traveling by car doing for bathroom stops?

I got tired of going to restrooms at gas stations. So we decided to stop at a grocery store or pharmacy. We will continue to do so even tho not many trips will be made this year.

I've generally found that the Pilot and Love's gas station restrooms are pretty clean.

There are quite a few 'pee bag' products on Amazon. Some of them are really nice; they are disposable, and sealable. My wife has tried two different products, and they work well, if that's the only problem. I tried one, and it worked even better for me.

You're in NC? The Fresh Market has nice big bathrooms. 2nd to that you can always use Publix.

You're in NC? The Fresh Market has nice big bathrooms. 2nd to that you can always use Publix.

Aerides, thanks for those suggestions. We have a Fresh Market here in Chapel Hill so that is good to know if I need a stop while in town. I don't see a Fresh Market or a Publix on the route I will be traveling but I will look and see what grocery stores are on the way.

Google 1000 clean restroom stalls. Or 3000 gas pumps. Should deliver informative results.

I googled those terms and got info on how to clean restrooms and gas pumps for sale...no help to me finding a public bathroom--is there something else I should be looking for?

I googled those terms and got info on how to clean restrooms and gas pumps for sale...no help to me finding a public bathroom--is there something else I should be looking for?

I’m sorry. It was poor humor. Try googling buccees. That should provide a more direct route to information.

Or search for it in Google Maps, and I'll bet it's nowhere near where you are going from Chapel Hill in a day.

I googled Buc-ees none to be found in NC. We do have Sheetz gas stations--some of them have OK bathrooms but some are yucky.

There are quite a few 'pee bag' products on Amazon. Some of them are really nice; they are disposable, and sealable. My wife has tried two different products, and they work well, if that's the only problem. I tried one, and it worked even better for me.

I have thought of using a female disposable urine bag but I just can't figure out how to use it along a busy highway. What brands did your wife try?

At least here in Ohio, the highway rest areas are open. Haven't traveled out of state to know status in other states.

What about hotels? I usually just walk in like I'm staying there. Bathrooms are not difficult to find, usually near the elevator.

After our trip back to Indiana from Florida in April, with my taking care of these matters roadside and the Mrs. "hovering" over rest stop facilities that had the stall doors removed, we bought an RV and will be taking a bed and commode with us in the future. YMMV.

After our trip back to Indiana from Florida in April, with my taking care of these matters roadside and the Mrs. "hovering" over rest stop facilities that had the stall doors removed, we bought an RV and will be taking a bed and commode with us in the future. YMMV.

We use to own a motorhome and did I enjoy traveling with my own toilet. After 10 years we sold the motorhome because it was needing too many repairs and we could not find nice campgrounds to stay--all reservations were booked a year in advance at our favorite campgrounds.

I am interested in doing a trip by car. I can get to my destination in less than a day and I can pack my food and beverages but I will need to stop at least twice for bathroom breaks. I have made this trip many times and the usual places I stop for bathroom breaks are not open. The visitor center I normally stop at has not reopened and the fast food places are open for drive through only. There are some gas stations that are open but my experience in the past with them is not good--usually dirty. DH might be able to go behind a tree but for me (female) that is a more difficult option.

Well, you can go behind a tree too with this device -
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B083FJYTHV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here in Washington state the rest areas are open. Since COVID started they're cleaner than they've ever been.

Walmart, Safeway, and Fred Meyer (Kroger) usually have public restrooms you can use. I'm sure other grocery stores do too.

Back
Top Bottom