Availability of Public Bathrooms

Just drove to LA and back today. 600 miles. Gas stations (2) and a McDonalds worked fine, wife and step daughter had no complaints either.

In our days of traveling between MD and FL, when a state rest stop was unavailable or closed, McD's was the alternative. There is always one around, the coffee is good and the bathrooms generally clean.

In our days of traveling between MD and FL, when a state rest stop was unavailable or closed, McD's was the alternative. There is always one around, the coffee is good and the bathrooms generally clean.

Op here-- the issue around here is --McDonalds, etc are just open for drive through, you cannot go inside. I am not going on an Interstate so no rest stops. There is a nice Visitors Center I usually stop at--it is closed. My experiences with gas stations, most groceries and Walmart (ugh--nasty) is not good. I am looking into the female urine device. I will also check my route to see if there are any nice hotels I can sneak into.

Also see if there is a Home Depot/Lowes on your way. If you get there early enough, the rest room is usually clean (although it is a rather long walk to find out). Most public rest rooms get a bit nasty by day's end, or even midday if crowded.

The female urine device just doesn't appeal to me for some reason...

For us gals, we can channel our pioneer ancestors. Longish skirt (no risk of blowing up), no underwear, hand shovel and pack of wet wipes in the pockets. Locate bush, hike skirt, bury evidence, back on the road.

I have not had good luck in the past with grocery store bathroom--most are dirty. I think I would do better with a hotel bathroom.

Op here-- the issue around here is --McDonalds, etc are just open for drive through, you cannot go inside.

It just goes to show how varied these circumstances are from place to place. My neighborhood McDonald's does allow customers inside for carryout, but that doesn't necessarily mean their bathrooms would be open to the public, since their dining room is still closed. Panera Bread always allowed customers inside for carryout, but they closed their bathrooms to the public for the duration that the dining room was closed. In my area, Panera Bread is the only fast food/casual chain that is now open for dining in, so their bathrooms are also open to the public now. In case this helps, here's a list of all their locations in NC:

79 Panera Bread Locations in North Carolina

Some grocery store bathrooms are better than others. It may also depend on the time of day. I second the hotels suggestion.

My wife and daughter carry a P-Style ( that is a brand name) which allows women to urinate in a similar position as a man. I recently read sales of these types of devices are doing very well. It’s another option especially for emergencies, hiking/camping or to avoid sitting on a toilet seat.

We took a little drive Wednesday, and the McDonald's we stopped at (for the dogs plain cheeseburger) had OUTDOOR Porta-Potties. Thank heaven there was a Bucky's right next door. Exceptionally clean and fully stocked, even had cheap gas.

I just checked and the rest area bathrooms in TX and AL are open. We prefer to use the rest area bathrooms as you don’t have to walk through a store to get to them plus we often use their picnic areas for a meal.

If I don't need gas, I like rest areas best because they are direct on and off. No waiting at traffic lights or pulling out of a business worrying about oncoming traffic.

You'd be amazed how creative you can be when you are often out hunting in sub-freezing weather.

Definition of short-term thinker: someone who pees in their pants in sub-freezing weather to stay warm.

We drove from Florida to Vermont in mid-May and all rest areas were open. The visitors center in Vermont was closed but they had two porta-potties in the parking lot.

We've been carrying a bucket with a snap-on toilet seat in the van. There's also some kitty litter for solid jobs. I've have had to use it only once so far though, a few weeks ago when we went kayaking on an inter-city lake when the parks were closed.

Last week we camped in a dispersed area, and were pleased to see that the forest service had put a couple porta-potties near the main access road.

When necessary, I don't mind squatting in the bushes. Some grasses, leaves, old man's beard, or a snowball for TP, and I'm good to "go".

I do particularly enjoy the spirit of the innovative females.

I also note that restrooms will get messy quickly if you have a running bum.

We've been carrying a bucket with a snap-on toilet seat in the van. There's also some kitty litter for solid jobs. I've have had to use it only once so far though, a few weeks ago when we went kayaking on an inter-city lake when the parks were closed.

Last week we camped in a dispersed area, and were pleased to see that the forest service had put a couple porta-potties near the main access road.

When necessary, I don't mind squatting in the bushes. Some grasses, leaves, old man's beard, or a snowball for TP, and I'm good to "go".

We bring one along in our Van just in case.
We put a plastic garbage bag inside with some kitty litter in the bottom.
Haven't used it yet, but feel better knowing it's there.
Got ours at Cabela's (just the lid, as we had the pail already)

15RLNULGGBLLXXXXXCAC

If the rest areas are closed, I always look for Loves as I have found them to always be big and clean. Pilot is hit or miss.

What about hotels? I usually just walk in like I'm staying there. Bathrooms are not difficult to find, usually near the elevator.

We just got back from a trip (5-6 hrs each way) and found large truck stops with gas & convenient store products had good restrooms. We also went into a hotel as described by the person quoted.

We just got back from a trip (5-6 hrs each way) and found large truck stops with gas & convenient store products had good restrooms. We also went into a hotel as described by the person quoted.

We also carried a large pretzel container and an empty workout powder container as backup that we didn’t have to use. They have come in handy before.

Back
Top Bottom