W*rk Mail

RetMD21

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What do I do about "professional mail?" Industry stuff and a professional society subscription or two. If I change the addresses to home I will likely get a blizzard of advertising mail along with the few things I might want. Getting a PO box for a trickle of good mail seems inconvenient and well as a small additional expense. I live nearby and could come in periodically to pick up mail but coming to work post retirement seems dumb. Has anyone else faced this? Ideas?

I have a PO box that costs about $100 for the year (box size 3 so can hold a decent amount). I swing by once or twice month to clean it out. I would just have it delivered to the house, but since attorney license information (as well as mailing address) is public knowledge, I prefer to keep my home address as much of a secret as I can.

What do I do about "professional mail?" Industry stuff and a professional society subscription or two. If I change the addresses to home I will likely get a blizzard of advertising mail along with the few things I might want. Getting a PO box for a trickle of good mail seems inconvenient and well as a small additional expense. I live nearby and could come in periodically to pick up mail but coming to work post retirement seems dumb. Has anyone else faced this? Ideas?

Before I retired, I changed all mail I wanted to home address. Next, I contacted anyone that sent unwanted mail and asked to be taken off lists. It worked.

The mailroom at my Megacorp had a policy of treating any mail received at company as company property. No forwarding. I agree with that policy.

Policy also applied to email and voicemail on company telecom equipment.

I let all my memberships, professional registrations, subscriptions, etc. expire when I escaped. Don’t care what megacorp did with anything I might have received at the old address. I still get junk mail at home for continuing education once in a while, but I pass my recycle bin in the garage on the way back in from the mailbox. That stuff was never relevant anyway.

I let all my memberships, professional registrations, subscriptions, etc. expire when I escaped. Don’t care what megacorp did with anything I might have received at the old address. I still get junk mail at home for continuing education once in a while, but I pass my recycle bin in the garage on the way back in from the mailbox. That stuff was never relevant anyway.

This.
Professional society memberships lapsed when I retired because they were way too pricey for me to pay out of pocket for. Work got the memberships at a discounted price.

Didn't want to read professional journals after I retired... part of the change in mindset of not needing to stay current anymore was no longer having to read about new solutions/trends/etc.

Same here.

I did the same, except for my PE registration. MO has the option the put it into Inactive status. I would need to update CU credits to activate. Never intend to use it, but for little cost ($35 every 2 years) it made sense.

yup. i canceled everything...memberships, subscriptions. i'm retired. but even then a few mags and mailings kept coming to the office or so i was told. i declined to pick them up. for all i kmow they're still coming.

Well a #3 PO box is $150/year so I went with a #2. I was able to reserve it online. I have paid for 6 months. I am probably just kicking the decision down the road bur maybe I'll know what I want to do by then.

Last edited:
Before I retired, I changed all mail I wanted to home address. .....

+1
I did that as well.

Some things I switched electronic versions instead of paper and gave a disposable email address.

Only got a few other unwanted things, certainly no blizzard. Just tossed them in the trash and they stopped after a while.

I switched everything I could to digital. As much as people complain. I really don’t find much junk in the mail anymore, except during political campaign years. Some of the junk is actually useful coupons for local stories.

I let everything lapse except my license. I will most likely not renew it this year, as I am no longer working on call, and don't plan too anymore!

They been refusing to accept any work mail for us for years I just let it go.

All of my professional journals and newsletters have always been delivered to my home while w*orking. I figured that once I stopped paying annual dues that these would stop. But it took nearly 1 1/2 years for the journals to stop. Now, I still received a specialty newsletter once a month, nearly 2 1/2 years since retirement. It doesn’t bother me.

I did contact by email my medical specialty board and the DEA about my retirement. The DEA thanked me and said they would put a note in my file. The medical specialty board asked if I would like to pay a one-time $25 fee to put my license as “retired” rather than “delinquent.” I sent them the fee.

Back
Top Bottom