Home fitness equipment during Covid (and after)

G8tr

Recycles dryer sheets
Not retired yet, but DW and I are slowly adding to the home gym in the basement. Currently have dumbbells, bench and a spin bike that have helped us get through the past 9 months or so since we've been to the gym. Latest acquisition is a Horizon treadmill that's on its way to us in the next week or so.

If you enjoyed going to the gym before Covid, what kind of fitness equipment do you have at home? Are you adding to it for the long haul?

The great covid dumbbell shortage has been well reported.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/21396116/dumbbell-set-shortage-nordictrack-bowflex

I've slowly built out my half-garage gym from scratch, but it's not easy or fast. I have a tab open on Rogue's in-stock weight plates that I refresh every day, and snipers grab most of them and sell them at a 3x markup on ebay...

I started with only a bench, a 20lb body bar, and a pair of 8lb dumbells, that I had pre-covid.

Now, I've installed a 18 rubber floor tiles, 24" each, creating a 6' x 12' dedicated area.
Got a nice shorty oly style bar from Titan
Short squat rack from Fringe, safety arms for benching
Bumpers/Change plates from Rogue
Dumbell set from Dicks
Cheapy pulley system from amazon to make a lat pull over the pull up bar on my rack
Put some cheap mirrors on the wall
Borrowing one of DH's bluetooth speakers to listen to podcasts while I work out
Heavy duty fan - in FL, I need it 99% of workouts even with the door open.

What I still want:
Make more space in the garage. Gonna dismantle the old work bench and wooden shelving, and install nice metal storage racks (on sale now at costco) that will give me a few more square feet and clean up too.
Remove the peg board wall and replace it with nice bigger mirrors
Nice storage rack for my plate collection
More plates!

Yes, I gave up on trying to buy dumbbells 6 months ago. Learning some new exercises that don't require a lot of weight, but do require significant mind-muscle connection and control. If I want more weight, I have a dumbbell connector that allows me to double up dumbbells to create heavier ones. I also have a cheap pulley and cable system that hangs off my chin up bar. I just feed dumbbells I to the loop at the end and use a gym quality handle that I snagged off Amazon for a good price.

Just have this solid old elliptical, bought new a decade or more ago:
https://www.fitnesssuperstore.com/Precor-EFX-5-21i-Elliptical-Cross-Trainer-p/efx521i.htm

A vibration platform and a couple yoga mats.....oh, and a few small hand weights.

I felt kind of silly buying a vibration plate as it just didn't look like it would be of much benefit. But when doing all the exercises recommended it truly does get the heart rate up there. I bought it primarily for the Winter months when you can't get out as much. I've never been a gym person so this along with dumbbells, walking, biking and golf should keep me in fair shape. Just need to stay away from sweets. :blush:

I felt kind of silly buying a vibration plate as it just didn't look like it would be of much benefit. But when doing all the exercises recommended it truly does get the heart rate up there.

It was recommended to me by one of the posters here......I don't use it as much as I should, (I focus on the elliptical), but DW, especially since she can't swim right now due to pool closure, is a regular user.

The great covid dumbbell shortage has been well reported.

I've had a home gym set-up for many years so no change for me, and of course I was not aware of dumbbell shortage. Maybe I'll trade a pair of my dumbbells for some IBC Diet Root Beer.

My indoor gym consists of a 30 year old Schwinn Airdyne bike. Seldom used as it is only tolerable with a laptop in front and streaming something. I really, really hate exercising indoors, so artificial.

Outdoor gym , added a pair of snowshoes and got to use them twice this past week as we had 22 inches of new snow. But a series of 40 degree days has largely shrunk the snow pack. Back to walks and muddy hikes in the woods.

Dumbbells are almost as valuable as bitcoin these days. Then again, their current value might ultimately crash too [emoji3]
I've had a home gym set-up for many years so no change for me, and of course I was not aware of dumbbell shortage. Maybe I'll trade a pair of my dumbbells for some IBC Diet Root Beer.

I never really went to a gym, but I have a setup in the basement with an elliptical machine in front of a TV that I've been using since well before the pandemic, and I do a Zoom yoga class also on that TV, with the instructor that I used to see for in-person classes.

Dumbbells are almost as valuable as bitcoin these days. Then again, their current value might ultimately crash too [emoji3]

DW scored a couple of 30 pound dumbbells at Walmart last month, but the 15s she wants to complete our set are nowhere to be found. At least not without price gouging.

We spent our stimulus on a gym-grade spin bike. She teaches spin classes, was laid off in March, and her home gym has since closed permanently.

Never been a gym person myself. Member of multiple running clubs and I walk, hike, bike, and snowshoe. Besides an elliptical at home (get's little use), I have two products from OYO Fitness that I use 3 to 4 days a week. OYO DoubleFlex Black and now a new model the OYO Nova Gym. Not free weights or dumbell's but works for me and I can take it on vacation.

Set of 30 lb dumbbells, basic pushup bars, and a large rubber mat are all I need for a gym. Do various lifts with the dumbbells and lots of pushups. I am also a runner/hiker so aerobic exercise is outdoors.

Just got back from a 3 mile walk. DW has an eliptical, a stationary bike and I just bought her a rowing machine. Water resistance. We also have a yoga mat and some dumb bells up to 15 pounds. I stretch and do pushups in the a.m. then walk. She usually hits the eliptical in the morning. Buddy just joined Planet Fitness. Apparently they are open and for only 20 bucks/month. I may check them out.

Following knee surgery in June, my outdoor running career ended. I purchased a Peloton (yup, I know), and use it almost daily. The nice thing with it is the app. Through the app I also have started yoga. There are many other options including strength training, meditation, etc.

I might be the least flexible person alive. As a runner, I did the bare minimum stretching necessary for me to continue running. Having started yoga, I’ve decided I really like it. Really feel a difference it’s making. But I could never take an in person yoga class. In home is the way to go for me. I’m certain every pose I do is not done exactly right. I lose my balance often. I grunt and squirm trying to get in a lot of poses. I even pass gas occasionally as they move me into various poses. Yeah, nobody would want on a mat adjacent to me in a class doing yoga. My favorite pose is shivasana. I’m a yoga master at that one.

For anyone just having access to a few dumbbells at home, there are quite a few dumbbell only videos on YouTube that are quite good. Happy to recommend a few, but I didn't want to violate any forum rules by posting them first.

I use a treadmill that will be 10 years old next week, a reminder of a years ago New Years sale at the local Sears before it shut down. I pretty much wore the motor out as DGF could hear me in the basement running while she was in bed in the second floor bedroom on the opposite side of the house. I finally put a new to me, used, motor in a couple of weeks ago so should be good for another handful of years.

Was a gym member pre-COVID - took spin classes, used weights/weight machines, elliptical and rower. Stopped going in March; did not renew in May.

When COVID started - already had basic DBs/BBs, weight bench, older piston-type rower, old Nordic Track X-C machine, dog (in lieu of treadmill for walking). Began utilizing all of them instead of going to gym. Also paid for membership in collection of on-line exercise workouts - cardio, resistance, yoga, Pilates, core, etc. and have been doing them 4-5 times weekly.

Down the road: considering upgrading old rower to a Concept 2 (same type I used at the gym) OR getting a Peloton knock-off. But won’t make any decisions until after the COVID thing is over with and I’ve rejoined the gym for about a month. I’m coming around to thinking I prefer at-home workouts but I do miss the social aspect of the gym so I want to give it one more try before deciding for sure.

We bought a treadmill in early June and put a 4K TV on the wall right in front of it. Thanks to the magic of YouTube, I have been able to take a daily walk pretty much anywhere in the world. Lots of channels on YT of people just filming walks in exotic locations. So I get exercise and feel like I’ve “traveled”, too.

I just have a Concept 2 rower, a recumbent stationary bike, and some dumbbells (that I have had for years). I also have huge mirrors and a 60" TV in my home gym room. It's hooked up to a Wii so if I should ever be inspired to do so, I could do the Wii Fit or various fitness games that I have for the Wii.

I get most of my exercise from playing pickleball, cycling, walking/hiking, or kayaking. I do yoga regularly to (try to) keep flexible.

For nine months/year the only indoor equipment I need is a yoga mat. This year I put my bicycle on an indoor trainer so I can ride in the icy months and keep my saddle calluses strong. I much prefer riding outdoors but it’s not always safe.

DS has seriously upgraded our home gym in the basement and has made maybe 20k in the process buying and selling various equipment. Sadly, included in his sales was my old Vectra 1450 unit which had to go to make way for more 'serious' equipment. I still have my old LifeFitness stepper and a good stationary bike. Trying to convince the youngin's what muscle they should be focusing on is largely a lost cause of course.

We have elastic resistance bands, BowFlex adjustable dumbells, (large) workout balls, a Bosu (balance), a WaterRower and various small weights/devices. We had a Bowflex Ultimate and a treadmill, but we left those behind when we moved last year. The BowFlex just took up too much space, and body weight exercises and resistance bands are more than adequate IMO. And we can walk outdoors year round now, so no need for a treadmill, we only used it in winters up north. We've always worked out at home, which obviously came in handy in 2020. DW does tai chi once a week, no equipment required. She also does paddleboard yoga once a week Spring thru Fall.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom