Does everyday feel like Saturday?

JustCurious

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've heard the expression... when you are retired everyday feels like Saturday. Is that true?

My experience so far has been that every week has 6 Saturdays and a Sunday (because that's the day I go to church, although not since March).

I've heard the expression... when you are retired everyday feels like Saturday. Is that true?

Naah, the markets are closed and the stores are busy ('normally') on Saturdays.

Look at my signature line :)

Last edited:
Not for me. Go to a drive-thru on a Saturday around 5:30pm, and there usually isn't a problem. Try to do that during a weekday, and you're dealing with commuters when you're trying to get to and from the restaurant. Plus there seems to be *more* people going through drive-thrus on a weekday than a weekend around here. Morning and evening commuters make weekdays feel like anything other than a Saturday.

I would amend my earlier response to note that we do not usually go to stores and restaurants on normal people's Saturday/Sunday, because they're too crowded then.

Echoing Gumby's observation we try to stay away from stores and such on weekends because they're too crowded. And people bring their ill bred bratty kids with them!:(

Much more peaceful on the weekdays.

And stay off my lawn.

When I was w*rking, I would sometimes take a day off and join my wife for some shopping together in the city center, then lunch, and a nice walkabout after. Once, when doing this on a Wednesday, I said to her, "You know after FIRE, a day like this could be any Wednesday."

Somehow, that became a mantra of sorts and a reminder of how relaxing and even a little bit naughty it felt to be away from the office, while everyone else was toiling away. Now, when we are out and about (or used to be, pre-Covid), we sometimes stop and marvel at our good luck and say, "This could be any Wednesday...and it is!" The laugh we share is pure, unadulterated joy.

So, not Saturday for us. Just any Wednesday...

-BB

Not for me. I actually do more errands doing the week, when it is less crowded.
I am well aware when it is Monday, but it is because I don't have to work.

For a semi-retired, self-employed person like me, every day can seem like Friday, which is even better! Why? Well, back in my mega-corp working days the anticipation of the weekend was usually superior to the weekend itself. Now that I can largely set my own schedule, I can take 'time off' whenever I want. :popcorn:
Caveat: I can't go running off for weeks or months at a time, like some fully-retired folks on this website. Running a business is like tending a garden - it needs constant care or it will go to pot. :)

I find Thursdays are the best for me. Others not off yet for their compressed workweek and it's military discount at the liquor store!:dance:

I'm no longer a Saturday person but yeah it's like Saturday when I w*rked. Much like some other posters I leave weekends for the working folk.

No. Saturday’s always had the implicit knowledge that Monday was coming. Retirement is not like Saturday. It it is not not vacation. It is completely different. It is better.

JC, I said for over 40 years in the oilpatch that everyday was a holiday - since I/we worked 7 days per week for most of those years.

In retirement - everyday is a Holiday - and it is a wonderful feeling. For someone used to living Offshore and Oversea's and really working 7 days per week.... the feeling of the freedom of retirement is Glorious....

I don't know or care what day or what time it is - other than for the few appointments with the Quacks or Business items - otherwise I don't know nor give a Dam what Day or Time it is.....

Hang tuff - you will get there one day.....

gamboolman.....

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go

In retirement, Saturdays are now Mondays. We avoid going out on the weekends because that’s when all the working people go out. So we don’t care that much for weekends around here. We can’t wait until Monday when everyone else goes back to work and we can go to Costco without being mobbed by shoppers.

I worked in the office most every saturday and sunday. DW had weekend calls as OBG, although she did have either half or 2/3 of them off over the years....

We now keep track of weekends to avoid getting out to the stores. (And, to know that we don't have to worry about school zones on the streets near our house!)

I rarely know what day it is. I do, though, remember to avoid skiing, shopping, or (during Covid) walking downtown on the weekends.

I remember how my daily and weekly schedules changed when I switched from working full-time to part-time back in 2001. I was able to do my Saturday errands during the week, a huge improvement because the stores were far less busy on a Wednesday at 10L30 AM than on a Saturday at 10:30 AM. I had to be careful to avoid driving around beyond my local area during weekday rush hours, especially the afternoon one.

After I had some health issues 5 years ago, I had to make more appointments with doctors and other medical service providers than before. Some of them have limited or zero weekend hours. That would have been a big deal had I still been working full-time. But now fully retired since late 2008, it is no big deal to schedule these things on weekdays, making sure I avoid rush hours for anyplace I have to drive to which is further away.

Once I stopped working full-time, I could resume doing things on weeknights I had not been doing before because I was too worn out. This made weeknights seem like Saturday nights.

Simply being able to spread out my activities beyond the weekends had such a great effect on my everyday life, from errands to appointments to hobbies.

Everyday feels the same. Just gotta remember to take out the trash on Sunday.

I find that Saturday still feels like Saturday but weekdays are even better!

After I retired I developed a routine that has me at the gym at least three days a week, usually M-W-F. I consider this my “work week” and I take it seriously. I find value in staying in some sort of rhythm with the working world. Also, the WSJ weekend edition comes on Saturday morning and that is its own sort of signal that the weekend has arrived. Some people like not knowing what day it is in retirement, I’m not one of them.

That being said, what is very different is knowing that I’m in control of my days and I can do things I want to do, when I want to do them. Weekdays are generally better than weekends, as most have agreed—because there are fewer people clogging the hiking trails, roads and stores.

There have been many days when I find myself caught up in some little project or obsession that I allow to run its course with no concern at all for my schedule or the time. That is what makes retirement great—you get to do what you want!

I've almost lost the concept of 'day or the week'. I don't have anything that I do regularly, so there's no need to think about it. About the only thing I need to know the day of the week is so that I avoid going grocery shopping on Saturday or Sunday.

At six months in, I have mild disappointment on the weekends that my favorite daily podcasts and public media shows aren’t produced, the stores are crowded and there’s more traffic throughout the day during my walks. Like others, my favorite days are now, distinctly, M-F. I did not see that coming!

Back
Top Bottom