Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m buying a lake house. Why? Because I wanted a place with a pretty view sometime in my life! Now’s that time.

Since we moved 11 years ago and switched to a king-size bed, we've been using IKEA pine nightstands originally purchased for our (now adult) children's rooms. Our dressers are beautiful Scandinavian-style teak that we've had 30+ years, so it never was a good look. I've searched for something better off and on but never found anything I liked that seemed reasonable price-wise. Last week, a random ad popped up on the web with an interesting-looking teak nightstand, so I checked our two local contemporary furniture store websites and found a very promising option. Checked it out in person and ordered them immediately; picked them up yesterday (to save the $85 delivery fee - I'm still cheap even when I'm blowing that dough). They are awesome!!!
suca-81nsr-a.jpg

Since we moved 11 years ago and switched to a king-size bed, we've been using IKEA pine nightstands originally purchased for our (now adult) children's rooms. Our dressers are beautiful Scandinavian-style teak that we've had 30+ years, so it never was a good look. I've searched for something better off and on but never found anything I liked that seemed reasonable price-wise. Last week, a random ad popped up on the web with an interesting-looking teak nightstand, so I checked our two local contemporary furniture store websites and found a very promising option. Checked it out in person and ordered them immediately; picked them up yesterday (to save the $85 delivery fee - I'm still cheap even when I'm blowing that dough). They are awesome!!!
View attachment 38362

So I guess all popup ads are not worthless!

That's beautiful! I love the top pull-out 'breadboard' shelf. (I searched and found another online.) And the curved top which would allow easier access to the shelf below.

Our challenge is we now have an adjustable bed, and when it's elevated a bit, it positions us too far away to easily reach back to our night stands. I guess the pull-out breadboard would help with this. (Right now we just pull the night stands away from the wall.)

This is my first post to this thread. Normally we're pretty [-]cheap[/-] frugal but here we go...

$42k out the door, it's a 2021 Promaster 2500 with lots of options: swivel seats, electronic rear view mirror, tow package and more. Expecting to put about $30k more into it to outfit it for travelling.

We ordered it mid-January and it arrived last week. We were surprised because we were told to expect it mid-May. Promasters are in really short supply due to Amazon and the USPS buying so many for their fleets.

The little Nissan in my profile picture is for sale, lots of wonderful memories and I will be sad to see it go.

A new adventure begins!

BrianB

Attachments

• Promaster2500.jpg
    Promaster2500.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 97
View attachment 38362

Beautiful! I love teak, but nothing in our bedroom is teak.

Do you have a link (google won't "image search" on the images on this site)?

-ERD50

This is my first post to this thread. Normally we're pretty [-]cheap[/-] frugal but here we go...

$42k out the door, it's a 2021 Promaster 2500 with lots of options: swivel seats, electronic rear view mirror, tow package and more. Expecting to put about $30k more into it to outfit it for travelling.

We ordered it mid-January and it arrived last week. We were surprised because we were told to expect it mid-May. Promasters are in really short supply due to Amazon and the USPS buying so many for their fleets.

The little Nissan in my profile picture is for sale, lots of wonderful memories and I will be sad to see it go.

A new adventure begins!

BrianB

Nice van. Look foward to seeing your improvements as you move foward!

A new adventure begins!

BrianB

Congrats! I had a small motorhome based on this van 10 years ago. Loved it.

A new adventure begins!

BrianB
Very nice, I look forward to what you intend for fitting it out. I do my own custom woodwork so I would definitely have some ideas for you there. :)

While this was a BTD event, it's also a happiest moment candidate.

Decided to order a treat late last week, stone crab and Key West Pink shrimp from the place we've patronized in the lower keys on visits (they supply a lot of the restaurants as well). Haven't been for a few years.

Well, Thursday my order arrives, and it's missing the shrimp and has only about 75% of the crab! :mad: But the packer did add some smoked fish dip I hadn't ordered this time, but did last time, since they forgot my mustard sauce last time (he looked up my previous order). Sounds like they got some things out of order because I wasn't the first one to call in with an order error.

Tough to get on the phone that time of day, but I got a guy who handled the orders. Offered to give me money back or send another shipment my choice. The overnight shipping/packing is NOT cheap! I said I'd prefer to have the order, and he said fine.

So, Friday my supplemental order arrives. He threw in an extra 2 pounds of stone crab and a pound of shrimp (over my original order). And more fish dip and mustard sauce. Got about an extra $100 worth. Plus they paid the second shipping, which isn't cheap $100+. Needless to say I'm a happy camper.

Will be finishing off the stone crab and shrimp for dinner tonight (which happens to be my birthday, the reason I ordered in the first place, since it fell on Sunday I got it early). When I opened the second pack and weighed it, I told DW - "Happy Birthday TO ME!" :dance:

Have eaten a lot of shrimp and crab in the past 4 days, but not tired of it. :)

While this was a BTD event, it's also a happiest moment candidate.

Decided to order a treat late last week, stone crab and Key West Pink shrimp from the place we've patronized in the lower keys on visits (they supply a lot of the restaurants as well). Haven't been for a few years.

Well, Thursday my order arrives, and it's missing the shrimp and has only about 75% of the crab! :mad: But the packer did add some smoked fish dip I hadn't ordered this time, but did last time, since they forgot my mustard sauce last time (he looked up my previous order). Sounds like they got some things out of order because I wasn't the first one to call in with an order error.

Tough to get on the phone that time of day, but I got a guy who handled the orders. Offered to give me money back or send another shipment my choice. The overnight shipping/packing is NOT cheap! I said I'd prefer to have the order, and he said fine.

So, Friday my supplemental order arrives. He threw in an extra 2 pounds of stone crab and a pound of shrimp (over my original order). And more fish dip and mustard sauce. Got about an extra $100 worth. Plus they paid the second shipping, which isn't cheap $100+. Needless to say I'm a happy camper.

Will be finishing off the stone crab and shrimp for dinner tonight (which happens to be my birthday, the reason I ordered in the first place, since it fell on Sunday I got it early). When I opened the second pack and weighed it, I told DW - "Happy Birthday TO ME!" :dance:

Have eaten a lot of shrimp and crab in the past 4 days, but not tired of it. :)

Sounds like they blew the dough.

Saatva king mattress. The "bed in the box" foam mattress wasn't really cutting it, plus GF and I found we didn't sleep as well here on my queen size vs her king size.

Van for travel or for business?

If for travel, does it have beds or a bathroom? Kitchenette?

Otherwise, why lug a large vehicle around if you're going to sleep in motels or hotels or Airbnbs?

Van for travel or for business?

If for travel, does it have beds or a bathroom? Kitchenette?

Otherwise, why lug a large vehicle around if you're going to sleep in motels or hotels or Airbnbs?

This is the BLOW THAT DOUGH thread - not the "practical RV'ing" thread. :LOL: I did look at the Ford Transit Van as I always felt bad about hauling around kupuna in our CRV. I decided the Transit was just too big - it wouldn't fit in our parking structure.

Of course, YMMV.

I have been following this thread for a long time for some inspiration how to spend more, but never had much to report on my own, I guess I am still way too frugal and need more ideas from here. But DW in the last years discovered a clothing line that she really likes, which actually originated very close to here by a lady with the name Lilly Pulitzer (yes related to that family): https://www.lillypulitzer.com/ . They have several stores locally, and a whole bunch of online sales that the "Puli Crowd" regularly scavenges. DW likes them so much that we may soon need a new closet.

But we made a deal that if she gets these in the quantities she now does, she also has to wear them at home instead of "wearing out old work clothes" and saving the nice ones "to go out", as her own frugal instincts have told her to do for decades. So that way I can enjoy them too, and I have to say, many of their infinite variety of designs are quite pretty with their casual and cheerful tropical vibe.

On the other hand, I usually run around in "Fisherman's" shorts and short sleeved shirts from Walmart, around $10 each. They suit my fashion needs just fine, thank you. And try as I might, Lilly Pulitzer caters almost exclusively to women, talk about discrimination. :)

Last edited:
Stone Crabs - :) You Rock Baby!

Been a long time. Next up as the season will be ending soon. Much cheaper to send the crabs to me compared to sending me to Florida.

Wait, so you can't just go to the fancy food store in town and get stone crab from the fish counter, if you don't live in FL?

Stone Crabs - :) You Rock Baby!

Been a long time. Next up as the season will be ending soon. Much cheaper to send the crabs to me compared to sending me to Florida.

Where do y'all get these bad boys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom