Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the recommendation...here my (southern exposure) deck is in full sun so I picked wood again when it needed a rebuild..composite would have gotten too hot to walk on.

I picked a brick red, opaque stain since I liked that color on a neighbor's deck but it's flaking off after just a couple of years.

Yep, before I used the onetimewood product I always went thru the peeling stain issue and dreaded pressure washing/stripping but never after stripping and using their product.

Yeah, a few hundred on stuff that won't even last a week...

But hey, it tastes so good!

I think what counts is that "it tastes so good!" part. Some people might spend the same amount of money or even more, but if they don't get much pleasure out of the experience, it's money wanted IMO.

I'd say your money is very well spent! :dance::dance::dance:

I bought a Ryobi 18v tool combo kit today...drill, impact driver, circular saw, reciprocating saw, oscillating tool, and flashlight. I don't really need this as I have some older corded tools but the set is compact and everything fits in a bag so it's convenient if I want to take some tools to help someone on a project or to take to the cabin.

It had all the tools I want except for a jigsaw but I'll probably buy one separately to complete the set. It also came with a free Bluetooth speaker but I'm picky and disappointed with the sound quality so I'll just buy another speaker.

You might want to look at their 18g cordless brad nailer as well. I've been very impressed with it. It goes on sale real cheap at the Orange Place from time to time when it is just the bare Ryobi tool. I got mine for C$88

You might want to look at their 18g cordless brad nailer as well. I've been very impressed with it. It goes on sale real cheap at the Orange Place from time to time when it is just the bare Ryobi tool. I got mine for C$88

I have an air brad nailer but a corded one would be nice...right now it's $195 so I'll watch for a sale.

The jigsaw is $85 and I doubt that will drop much so I'll get that soon. I could also get a brushless jigsaw for $150 but it's not really necessary for the amount of use it would get.

We decided to spend a little bit of the new stimulas in advance. We spurged $670 and installed a set of Aqua-stairs on our dock. We had a swim ladder that worked perfectly fine, but now we can walk up steps to get out of the water instead of climbing a ladder. Did we need it? No, not really, but it sure makes life easier!

Anyone (and I mean RobbieB) ever try these?

https://sunshrimp.com/

An ad showed up in my Facebook feed and I thought of this Blow That Dough! thread. They look beautiful and expensive and have a nice story behind them.

Haven't had them. Yet...

Looks good, me thinks I'll order up a 10 pack of Jumbo peeled and deveined - :)

Ordered a new iPhone 12 Pro the other day. The box came today. Someone had helped themselves to the IPhone before it got to me. Not a good day.

Ordered a new iPhone 12 Pro the other day. The box came today. Someone had helped themselves to the IPhone before it got to me. Not a good day.

You got an empty box? Wow..

You got an empty box? Wow..

They left the accessories I ordered, and even the box and plastic wrap the iPhone itself was in. But no iPhone. It was delivered FedEx, but it was obvious when I picked up the box it had been opened.

I'm out of control.

I just bought my second new car (new to me) in one week. Bought a 2018 VW Tiguan with 6600 miles on the clock. Couldn't pass it up.

They left the accessories I ordered, and even the box and plastic wrap the iPhone itself was in. But no iPhone. It was delivered FedEx, but it was obvious when I picked up the box it had been opened.

Bummer. Hope you get a replacement quickly and easily.

Be sure to report it to Fedex, and take photos, both for the carrier and the seller.

I believe Apple can disable the phone remotely if you tell them about it.

So, $28K for a conventional wood deck w/6x6 lumber or $61K for steel and composite. I could replace the wood deck twice over during the lifetime of composite/steel. That still leaves the maintenance I was hoping to avoid.

I've seen composite decks 7 to 8 years old that look like they were installed last week. Stuff really holds up!

Skipro, just a word of experience. We build an approximately 1400 sf deck 13 years ago out of TimberTech, which was top of the line at the time. We went with hidden fasteners and the whole shmeer. And it has, for the most part, held up really well. But it's not maintenance free. We have to pressure wash it every year, at least after the first few years. They really have a tendency to get mold and mildew on them. Also, be careful dragging things across them (tables, outdoor firepits, etc.) They can scratch up, and you can't sand it out.

Having said that, they are much lower maintenance than wood, with no sanding/staining/coating needing to be done. A bit of caution and a bit of cleanup, and you're good to go.

Edit: Also, don't space your joists too far apart. It you get a lot of sun (looks you might not) they can slump a little. They still support the weight, but you end up with a little dip.

Good luck with the project. We're waterfront, so everything is mostly flat. I wouldn't look forward to your project, although I'd definitely love to see it when it's finished.

Last edited:
I like wood.

I recycled the whole redwood deck into the planter boxes and the tool shed deck. Redwood looks good, is strong, resists rot and natural - biodegradable.

Yeah, it will age and need re-staining and power washing. But when even that fails you can always paint it.

Last edited:

Too bad you didn’t catch the Fedex guy to refuse it!

I believe Apple can disable the phone remotely if you tell them about it.

I bought it through Verizon and it’s already done. They’ll be refunding the credit card so I can order a new one. This time to be shipped to the local store for me to pick up. Kudos to the Verizon representative spoke to.

Be sure to report it to Fedex, and take photos, both for the carrier and the seller.

I have the delivery on video, but it was just the driver dropping it on my porch.
ETA: Verizon is doing the investigation.

Skipro, just a word of experience. We build an approximately 1400 sf deck 13 years ago out of TimberTech, which was top of the line at the time. We went with hidden fasteners and the whole shmeer. And it has, for the most part, held up really well. But it's not maintenance free. We have to pressure wash it every year, at least after the first few years. They really have a tendency to get mold and mildew on them. Also, be careful dragging things across them (tables, outdoor firepits, etc.) They can scratch up, and you can't sand it out.

Having said that, they are much lower maintenance than wood, with no sanding/staining/coating needing to be done. A bit of caution and a bit of cleanup, and you're good to go.

Edit: Also, don't space your joists too far apart. It you get a lot of sun (looks you might not) they can slump a little. They still support the weight, but you end up with a little dip.

Good luck with the project. We're waterfront, so everything is mostly flat. I wouldn't look forward to your project, although I'd definitely love to see it when it's finished.

If you don't stain a wood deck it will gradually turn grey, of course that look is a matter of preference. But once you stain it then you have to maintain the stain on a regular basis. We like the grey look (and I'm a little lazy) so all we do is roll on some water sealer every 3 or 4 years with a paint roller which takes an hour or less.

Composite decking will sag, many companies recommend joist spacing as close as 12". A friend has a composite deck with 16" spacing and you can see a light amount of sagging, but I don't know which brand they used. My deck boards are PT 5/4" and I went with 16" spacing and there's no sagging. I also tend to slightly overbuild the structure because the extra cost is minimal...going from 24" to 16" spacing over 16 feet is just 4 extra joists, but it gives you a rock solid deck with no bounce or give.

Twenty two hundred for 4 trees trimmed. Six guys and seven hours and a chipper and 2 trucks full of chips. Tipped 'em a C note too and going to have 'em do another.

I love pros - :)

Twenty two hundred for 4 trees trimmed. Six guys and seven hours and a chipper and 2 trucks full of chips. Tipped 'em a C note too and going to have 'em do another.

I love pros - :)
Do you get to keep the chips? May make good mulch if you need any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom