Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! -2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2021-a-107327.html)

aja8888 08-17-2021 06:15 AM

I'm getting a new Bradford White water heater installed in our attic today to replace the 20 year old one that has started to leak :blush:. Cost will be $1,675 installed. That's better than $6,000 deductible (2%) on homeowner's insurance coverage I'd have to pay if the old water heater dumped its load through our 8' high ceiling.;)

REWahoo 08-17-2021 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2649824)
Cost will be $1,675 installed. That's better than $6,000 deductible (2%) on homeowner's insurance coverage I'd have to pay if the old water heater dumped its load through our 8' high ceiling.;)

SIL and DD#1 replaced their attic WH recently and spent an extra $1k to move it from the attic to their garage. Like you say, cheaper than the homeowner policy deductible.

finnski1 08-17-2021 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romer (Post 2649769)

The price tag was about $60K, but since it doesnt impact my ability to retire one bit, I decided to go for it

I love my ranch home with 6 car garages on an acre and have told my kids I plan on dying in this house. Plenty of room for our 4 cars, my Australian camper and room for projects.

I have blown money recently on a new BMW Z4, modified a 2014 Land Cruiser for off roading and restored a 1973 Land Cruiser. Pretty set on toys

Yep. You qualify. Those are some good examples of the BTD philosophy.:)

Koolau 08-17-2021 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greddy (Post 2649818)
I have been following this thread for a while to get some ideas, but I am starting to wonder if I am having a problem, and just not BTD, or even spend reasonable amounts of money. My main issue is currently cars - from normal societal expectations, I am due for one or two new ones. But there are so many things that prevent me from doing that, part of it being that the SF East Bay is not really all that car friendly about parking and endless traffic jams. But then the other thing is, in my opinion, that cars are just getting plain uglier by the year. I usually had Toyotas earlier, but the recent designs of Toyotas and Lexuses are just repelling me. I understand that Mr. Akio Toyoda said that his cars looked too "bland" in the past - but is the answer to have them look like the Creature from the Black Lagoon? I wonder how others feel about this, but the front ends of these cars tend to be downright scary and ugly to me, like a monster just about trying to swallow you.

And it's not only Toyotas, although they lead the pack: also the new BMW models aren't as gracious and sporty as earlier models, like everybody else their grills are becoming too big and angry looking. And then, most of the new LED headlights and brake lights have such strange geometries, I wonder if these engineers ever got the memo that just because the new lighting technologies including LED allows much greater flexibility in geometric design, this does NOT mean that every conceivable design is now desirable?

And don't get me started about the recent SUV and crossover craze. Everybody and their brother outdoes themselves to try to make them, but they all just end up looking like clones of each other, and I still prefer the ride of the normal sedans. And what happened to convertibles? It was so fun to drive these up and down through the hills here and the coast highway, but there are fewer and fewer of them.

I wonder if I am just from an older generation and stuck in the past, or what is going on with modern car designs? I really enjoyed looking at the recent post of one person here restoring an MG - why can't we have such car designs again? How can I BTD if I don’t like to look at what I am spending my money on?

I agree about the "aggressive" appearance of new vehicles. I'm sold on Toyota reliability, but don't care for the new styling of most of their line. Of course, I haven't bought "new" in 25 years, so there should still be some more "frumpy" cars available when the time comes.

I'm hoping maybe my '12 Toyota will last as long as I do. I just hit 90K, so should be lots of miles and smiles left. I suspect I'll have to replace my '00 Buick soon. There is no more ubiquitous and dull car out there, but I still like the comfort - if not the reliability. I once parked the thing between two others that were the same color. The only thing obviously distinguishing them were the wheels which Buick seemed to change up from year to year. Otherwise, I think the late '90s to 2005 looked virtually identical. Maybe it was THAT kind of blandness that has led to the current "radical" look of not only Toyotas but even Buick.

I looked inside a recent Buick SUV or crossover or whatever it was. It seemed downright cramped compared to my land yacht. I guess when the time comes, I'll look for something like an '05 Buick. YMMV

Dtail 08-17-2021 07:40 AM

Getting a new roof today. Only needed to pay the hurricane deductible of 7.3k instead of the full freight of 23k.
So BTD, but a good deal.

braumeister 08-17-2021 07:43 AM

Quote:

in my opinion, that cars are just getting plain uglier by the year.

I recommend a visit to your friendly local Ferrari dealer. Problem solved!

Badger 08-17-2021 07:45 AM

Quote:

... But then the other thing is, in my opinion, that cars are just getting plain uglier by the year. I usually had Toyotas earlier, but the recent designs of Toyotas and Lexuses are just repelling me. I understand that Mr. Akio Toyoda said that his cars looked too "bland" in the past - but is the answer to have them look like the Creature from the Black Lagoon? I wonder how others feel about this, but the front ends of these cars tend to be downright scary and ugly to me, like a monster just about trying to swallow you...

...like everybody else their grills are becoming too big and angry looking. And then, most of the new LED headlights and brake lights have such strange geometries, I wonder if these engineers ever got the memo that just because the new lighting technologies including LED allows much greater flexibility in geometric design, this does NOT mean that every conceivable design is now desirable?

+1 The first time I saw the newer Lexus models I thought the looked nice from the back and side. Then I saw the front. Talk about mudflap ugly! Now Toyota is doing the same. Every once in awhile car designers lose it. Remember some of those 80s Mustang designs? Or how about a Gremlin or AMC Pacer?

Cheers!

Aerides 08-17-2021 08:10 AM

I just did a reverse BTD....

Needed a new mattress, decided to upgrade from queen to king, so needed a bed+mattress. Fell in love with a bed from an internet-only co...

Ordered the new bed in March, company indicated in stock, 2-3 weeks delivery. A few weeks later I got a shipping notice, and donated our existing Queen bed and furniture via Habitat - put the queen mattress on the floor. Then find the new bed never really shipped and it's now delayed. Then it got delayed again.

By June, the old mattress was just not cutting it. But didn't want to get a brand new King mattress and put that on the floor. Since it's a no-box-hybrid, can't just put on a frame either. Bought a $339 decent wood platform king bed with slats from Costco. Figured we could eventually donate or perhaps even return...Got a wonderful new - definitely BTD - mattress from Helix.

Today I'm told the original BTD bed is now delayed again from Aug to Oct... so I'm crying uncle. Gonna have a CC fight probably as the company wants to go store credit...ugh...but I don't think they'll ever have the bed to ship at this point and I want to be done with them.

Meanwhile I'm quite happy with my cheap Costco bed! It looks nice, goes well with the rest of the new furniture that arrived quickly from Crate and Barrel. So it'll do for now. Wish me luck on the refund...

pacergal 08-17-2021 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger (Post 2649864)
+1 The first time I saw the newer Lexus models I thought the looked nice from the back and side. Then I saw the front. Talk about mudflap ugly! Now Toyota is doing the same. Every once in awhile car designers lose it. Remember some of those 80s Mustang designs? Or how about a Gremlin or AMC Pacer?

Cheers!

I loved driving the Super Pacer my folks had! Being shorter, all those windows made it so easy to see. Of course, that car was heavier than heck, but had good power.

Sunset 08-17-2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

...... My main issue is currently cars - from normal societal expectations, I am due for one or two new ones. But there are so many things that prevent me from doing that...... the other thing is, in my opinion, that cars are just getting plain uglier by the year. I usually had Toyotas earlier, but the recent designs of Toyotas and Lexuses are just repelling me. ....

DW is the same, she refuses to replace her 23 yr old toyota with another because the new car fronts are ugly.

I haven't told her that when she drives it, she won't see the front :laugh:

bltkmt 08-17-2021 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunset (Post 2649989)
DW is the same, she refuses to replace her 23 yr old toyota with another because the new car fronts are ugly.

I agree on certain models. DW drives a 2012 Lexus RX350 which looks fine. However, the newer models front grill is awful looking - like a scowling monster.

Dtail 08-17-2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bltkmt (Post 2649995)
I agree on certain models. DW drives a 2012 Lexus RX350 which looks fine. However, the newer models front grill is awful looking - like a scowling monster.

A lot of models have gone to that angry look, as if most women and many males like that look?

f35phixer 08-17-2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2649824)
I'm getting a new Bradford White water heater installed in our attic today to replace the 20 year old one that has started to leak :blush:. Cost will be $1,675 installed. That's better than $6,000 deductible (2%) on homeowner's insurance coverage I'd have to pay if the old water heater dumped its load through our 8' high ceiling.;)

Aja, if you don't mind which model did you get? Our is the RE250T6 6 year warranty. Cost for my install was 2500. My HVAC guy did it, didn't request a quote, gave 900 as deposit to get tank. when he gave 1600 due was kind sticker shocked.... especially when ours worked fine, was manufactured in 8/89 !!!

Out-to-Lunch 08-17-2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vafoodie (Post 2649789)
The BTD part comes when we tacked on a trip to Milwaukee because neither of us had been there. It was fun—much more so than Detroit. We went to a huge state fair, took a fun city tour, saw the Pabst mansion, and went to a Brewer’s game. I have some fun pictures, but I don’t know how to post them on this site.

Woo-hoo, Brewtown!

I wound up here by accident, but it really is a gem.

explanade 08-17-2021 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vafoodie (Post 2649789)
Part of why I retired was so I could be a trophy wife and go on cool work trips with my husband before his jealousy of my retirement consumes him, and he pulls the trigger. He works for the Coast Guard, so he has to go to places like Hawaii, Miami, Cape Cod for “work.” I love rust-belt towns and had always wanted to see Detroit, so when he had to go there for work I was elated. He also had to go to Traverse City and Grand Haven Michigan, both delightful towns. The BTD part comes when we tacked on a trip to Milwaukee because neither of us had been there. It was fun—much more so than Detroit. We went to a huge state fair, took a fun city tour, saw the Pabst mansion, and went to a Brewer’s game. I have some fun pictures, but I don’t know how to post them on this site.

If you really want to BTD, wait til you go to more glamorous locales, though Hawaii, Miami and maybe Cape Cod would fit that description.

Greddy 08-17-2021 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunset (Post 2649989)

I haven't told her that when she drives it, she won't see the front :laugh:

Haha, one can tell you are a man - with that logic, there's never a need for a lady's makeup, since while she walks around town, she can't see her face either :laugh:

Greddy 08-17-2021 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacergal (Post 2649898)
I loved driving the Super Pacer my folks had! Being shorter, all those windows made it so easy to see. Of course, that car was heavier than heck, but had good power.

So is that why your name is PacerGal?

Greddy 08-17-2021 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dtail (Post 2649997)
A lot of models have gone to that angry look, as if most women and many males like that look?

I really don't know if the majority of folks really like it, and I hope not since that would make me question the current state of society even more. I think it's more Akio Toyoda's coming of age: "See, I am a powerful grownup now, and I can change the face of Toyotas to whatever I want". But in all fairness, the new 86 and even the RAV4 Prime have more reasonable front ends. Maybe Akio is getting over his late adolescent phase.

RunningBum 08-17-2021 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bltkmt (Post 2649995)

Agree with this and other similar posts. That RX350 was a strong leader for my next car a few years ago, but when it came time to buy they had changed that grill and I hated it. I read somewhere that they think it's aggressive and appeals to younger buyers.

RobLJ 08-17-2021 07:54 PM

DW got back from a 10 day backpack with her homies, then went for a one week trip to Vermont with her sister in Penn.
She came back for a week to Reno, then was depressed by the smoke and heat (most days have been over 150 AQI, which is not good).
So we're in Mill Valley/Marin County hiking from Monday to Friday. Great hike today from the top down to Stimson Beach then up the Dipsea/Steep Ravine trails back to the top. I'm pounding a couple of glasses of vino to distract from my slight leg ache (1600 foot climb).

By the way, I don't think the RAV4 Prime grill is too aggressive, but then I don't pay any attention to it. I bought it for the 42 mile electric range and the 300 hp; best of both worlds. We're averaging right at 50 mpg, despite the long trips.