Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
WE got ours in Dec 20 and are very happy with it..it's the hybrid titanium and the mileage boost from the hybid is outstanding.
I haven't closed the deal yet, but I'm starting to waver on whether I should get the hybrid instead.

Just put down a deposit on Machu Picchu/Galapagos Island trip for next fall. Had to move cash around because they have a significant discount to pay using checking vs Credit card. OAT also offered $500/person discounts for booking trips for next year. Used EFT check for the deposit and will pay the balance on Monday once transfers happen and there is enough money in the account to pay it off.

It's not a new car - but it was still around $10k for 2 people. Still need to buy airfare since they were charging biz class prices for coach seats.

Their risk free deal made it easy to pull the plug - cancel for any reason and get a credit. (Would be better to get refund, but we are going to do this trip regardless.)

I failed today. I ordered a replacement keyboard for my chromebook, rather than a new chromebook. My reasoning is the one that I picked out will likely go on sale soon.

Just put down a deposit on Machu Picchu/Galapagos Island trip for next fall.

We went to the Galapagos in 2018, and it was one of the two best trips we've had in our lives. You're going to absolutely love it.

Attachments

• bfb.png
    bfb.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 298
I have to admit I thought this was a cool thread until I actually FIRED. Only 2 years in I'm still too apprehensive about spending. Maybe once things calm down a bit I'll blow some dough on an Ireland trip or something. DW would dig that big time.

I haven't closed the deal yet, but I'm starting to waver on whether I should get the hybrid instead.

PM me if you have questions. To be specific we got the gas/hybrid model...

Last edited:
WE got ours in Dec 20 and are very happy with it..it's the hybrid titanium and the mileage boost from the hybid is outstanding.

I tried to find a hybrid but couldn't find one close enough to try out. So far so good they are fun to drive.

Just put down a deposit on Machu Picchu/Galapagos Island trip for next fall. Had to move cash around because they have a significant discount to pay using checking vs Credit card. OAT also offered $500/person discounts for booking trips for next year. Used EFT check for the deposit and will pay the balance on Monday once transfers happen and there is enough money in the account to pay it off.

It's not a new car - but it was still around $10k for 2 people. Still need to buy airfare since they were charging biz class prices for coach seats.

Their risk free deal made it easy to pull the plug - cancel for any reason and get a credit. (Would be better to get refund, but we are going to do this trip regardless.)

I did that combination trip years ago as part of a cruise. The toughest part was the flight to Cuszco. After spending a week at sea level, a one hour flight leaves you at 11,000 feet!

I did that combination trip years ago as part of a cruise. The toughest part was the flight to Cuszco. After spending a week at sea level, a one hour flight leaves you at 11,000 feet!

The good and the bad: We didn't do the Machu Picchu extension, and were very glad we didn't. On the last night in the Galapagos, over half the ship got food poisoning and trying to do a high altitude trip in that condition would have been a nightmare! We were so happy that we could just go straight home to recover.

That is a real shame that you missed Macchu Pichu. For those going on the Inka Express, try to sit on the left side of the train car leaving from Cuzco. That way you will be looking down at the Urabamba River instead of an earthen bluff.

That is a real shame that you missed Macchu Pichu. For those going on the Inka Express, try to sit on the left side of the train car leaving from Cuzco. That way you will be looking down at the Urabamba River instead of an earthen bluff.

Thanks for the tip. We are doing the train up to Machu Picchu. Not doing the full hike up.

I'm a little worried about the altitude. I grew up backpacking in the Sierras as a kid (mom and dad were national outing leaders for Sierra Club - these were our family vacations.) I would always be puking and headachy for 24-48 hours. The trip we're doing (OAT) gives a day of light activity when you get to Cuzco to allow those (like me) adjust.

I expect I'll be blowing that dough some more - need new light weight hiking shoes. In the spring we're doing a cruise followed by a week in Cinque Terre... I expect to do a lot of hiking on that trip.

How long is the hike vs. the train?

How much time, distance, gain in elevation?

How long is the hike vs. the train?

How much time, distance, gain in elevation?
As I recall, and please Google it , the Inca trail hike is a couple of days. The train trip is a couple of hours, as i recall.
Altitude affects people differently. I was on a tour to Pike's Peak, and some in our group had to head down right away.
I took my wife to the top of the Jungfrau in Switzerland, which is over 11,000 feet. I was OK, and she had a headache and was short of breath.
You might look into Diamox, but is may have some side effects.

Last edited:
As I recall, and please Google it , the Inca trail hike is a couple of days. The train trip is a couple of hours, as i recall.
Altitude affects people differently. I was on a tour to Pike's Peak, and some in our group had to head down right away.
I took my wife to the top of the Jungfrau in Switzerland, which is over 11,000 feet. I was OK, and she had a headache and was short of breath.
You might look into Diamox, but is may have some side effects.

~8000 feet.
If you have issues at Lake Tahoe you will have issues there.

Lobster rolls tonight - :)

51640357478_691287a2a4_b.jpg

So I had to look what a lobster roll was. Lol It was what I thought it might be. So, Robbie you ordered the fresh lobster and then you made the rolls, right?

It would be something I would really like!

Another point of info. The bus from Agua Calientes up to M.P. goes through a series of switchbacks.

On the way down, a child will say hello at the top, the go straight down to meet you on the bus at every switchback and say hello. When you get down to the bottom, the child will come on board looking for tips.

So I had to look what a lobster roll was. Lol It was what I thought it might be. So, Robbie you ordered the fresh lobster and then you made the rolls, right?

It would be something I would really like!

Attached is our recipe . Enjoy!

Attachments

• OUR LOBSTER ROLLS.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 41
Yeah, I do the fresh claw meat warmed (already cooked when arrives) in butter, then grill the buns with a wipe of the butter the meat is warming in and mayo the inside of the buns and then stuff in the meat.

51640576993_0e3affdd57_o.jpg

I hope to officially be able to post a BTD early next week. A small miss cue on the closing this week so I hope all goes according to script next week.

Once I BTD it won't take me long to count my money any more. lol Only live once so why not BTD. Lol

Since no SORR this year,

New home generator (in reaction to Florida hurricane season): $10,500.
Master bathroom remodel: $32,000.
Happy wife (with peace of mind): priceless.

PM me if you have questions. To be specific we got the gas/hybrid model...
Thanks. I did decide to go with the gas/hybrid. Have to wait for it (it's in transit to the dealer) and it will require blowing a bit more dough, but, well, that's what it's there for. Looking forward to a new toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom