Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   So I am thinking about a new fancy watch... (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/so-i-am-thinking-about-a-new-fancy-watch-109082.html)

DawgMan 04-29-2021 04:54 PM

So I am thinking about a new fancy watch...

So, I'm struggling with being indulgent on the purchase of a new fancy watch. I have not bought a new watch in about 15 years. I think I spent $2K+ back then and really appreciated the watch. I have few indulgences (cars & some electronics) where I can get myself to "blow the dough"! My SIL is really into these fancy watches (which he hopes to have one day) and is excited about helping me shop for one. He has done a ton of research on the various brands and is pitching me on it "being an investment". Investment aside, some of these watches are $25K - $35K I am looking at. It sure feels expensive and my frugal gene is telling me "what a ridiculous purchase", yet I know this would have no affect on retirement success as I look for certain ways to BTD.

Any "watch-heads" out there? Should I BTD on such a purchase and tell my former frugal self to take a hike?!

This BTD stuff is hard man!???

Whisper66 04-29-2021 05:28 PM

Canít imagine anything a watch could offer making it worth that kind of dough. Iíd have to side with your frugal self. But hang around and youíll soon have lots of support to BTD in any way that tickles your fancy.

travelover 04-29-2021 05:31 PM

Don't be a square. Get an Apple watch like all the cool kids have.

Calico 04-29-2021 05:34 PM

I can't relate. But then, I have been wearing Timex watches (39.99) for 40 years. The only thing I need a watch to do is tell time.

If you want to BTD, and it won't affect your retirement, there is only one person you need to convince - yourself. And I suppose your SO/DW if you have one.

RunningBum 04-29-2021 05:39 PM

Make sure it's your indulgence, and not just SIL's. But it is good to know that when you pass it would be greatly appreciated by him if he inherits it.

Jerry1 04-29-2021 05:42 PM

I wanted to buy a nice watch. Not sure I would have gone over $10K, but they do draw my attention. Then I realized, since I’m not working, I’m not dressing up and the opportunity to wear it would be pretty much zero. So I have to set my sights on something else. Best of luck with your purchase. Cool that it may be something you can share with SIL.

Calico 04-29-2021 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningBum (Post 2599822)
Make sure it's your indulgence, and not just SIL's. But it is good to know that when you pass it would be greatly appreciated by him if he inherits it.

Yup, and depending on how much SIL covets it, it might be a good idea not to turn your back on him too often if you purchase it! ;D

timbervest 04-29-2021 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawgMan (Post 2599791)

Funny when I think about BTD on something fancy most of the fun is in the thinking about it and the shopping for it. I find that after actually buying most stuff having is somewhat less exciting than wanting.

Aerides 04-29-2021 05:51 PM

This thread had me at "new fancy".

I know nothing about watches, but I would say if you are going to BTD (endorse), don't get the one your SIL or former frugal self would like. Do a whole lotta looking and research. Figure out the style you like, the features, etc., this is all personal taste. Try to do all that while you ignore prices. Make a list of things you want, save links and pics. Make the hunt part of the fun of doing this.

I can BTD in a number of categories, but chances that I will love the thing that someone else thinks is perfect for me, are slim to none.

socca 04-29-2021 06:11 PM

Quote:

... Any "watch-heads" out there? Should I BTD on such a purchase and tell my former frugal self to take a hike?! ...

A relative gave me a big, bulky, hyper-masculine watch to replace the cheap Casio I had worn for years. The new watch really wasn't appropriate for my skeletal geek body but I wore it for a few years nevertheless - the price was right ;D . I was happy when the watch finally failed and I went back to a cheap Casio.

BTD decisions are highly personal so I can't imagine anyone giving you useful advice. :popcorn:

Gumby 04-29-2021 06:20 PM

If I had 10X my current assets, I would get a vintage Patek Phillipe Calatrava. But since I don't, I'll stick with my Timex Expedition that I got for $7 at Goodwill.

Edit to add: I did see some very nice watches from Shinola at an airport shop when we last flew in January 2020. Made in Detroit, I believe. While still expensive from my point of view, orders of magnitude less than a Patek Phillipe.

rk911 04-29-2021 06:20 PM

not my thing but i get your desire for one so indulge yourself! me...i haven't worn a watch since graduating from high school in '68. considered a nice aviators watch when i was still flying but managed just fine without one.

ivinsfan 04-29-2021 06:24 PM

How often would you wear it. I'd be a little afraid of making myself a target by wearing that much money on my wrist. When you are out and about you never know who is clocking you and your stuff. Now if you are going to buy it and keep it the box, that won't be an issue.

audreyh1 04-29-2021 06:29 PM

For us DH’s fancy watch was a titanium Apple Watch. We’re no longer interested in watches that can’t talk to our phones.

Jewelry as an “investment”? Hmmmm.......

Al in Ohio 04-29-2021 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travelover (Post 2599817)
Don't be a square. Get an Apple watch like all the cool kids have.

Totally agree. Buy a highly functional, high tech watch for under $500 that can text, talk and email and pair with wireless airpods.

audreyh1 04-29-2021 06:51 PM

You can spend a lot more for a fancy metal Apple Watch, but it would still be obsolete in 5 years or so and you’d want to upgrade.

RobbieB 04-29-2021 06:55 PM

I don't do watches anymore. I didn't do them when I was working. Got clocks in the car and clocks on the phone... But I'm a practical guy.

You are a jewelry guy, a Rolex plus guy. By all means, get what you want.

If the price is still too high even though you want it don't buy it.

My Pops told me "it's good to want things"

Souschef 04-29-2021 08:06 PM

When the battery in my watch died, I decided I did not need a watch!. I am retired, and do not live my life by the ticky ticky tock of the clock (Pajama Game).
I know it would impress people if I wore a Rolex on my trips to Walmart.

Gumby 04-29-2021 08:14 PM

I do not much need a watch for purposes of my daily schedule, but I do find it quite helpful when I water my plants or cook things on the grill.

luckydude 04-29-2021 08:15 PM

Quote:

So, I'm struggling with being indulgent on the purchase of a new fancy watch. I have not bought a new watch in about 15 years. I think I spent $2K+ back then and really appreciated the watch. I have few indulgences (cars & some electronics) where I can get myself to "blow the dough"! My SIL is really into these fancy watches (which he hopes to have one day) and is excited about helping me shop for one. He has done a ton of research on the various brands and is pitching me on it "being an investment". Investment aside, some of these watches are $25K - $35K I am looking at. It sure feels expensive and my frugal gene is telling me "what a ridiculous purchase", yet I know this would have no affect on retirement success as I look for certain ways to BTD.

Any "watch-heads" out there? Should I BTD on such a purchase and tell my former frugal self to take a hike?!

I'm not a "watch-head," but if you can afford it and getting the watch gives you pleasure, then tell your frugal gene to take a hike and go get that watch.

You only live once so enjoy it :)