Thinking of building a pool...what are the pro's and con's?

Franklin

Recycles dryer sheets
OK, Ive had several pools over the years and generally enjoyed them. So, naturally the thought crossed my mind to build one as DW and I are both retired. But my neighbor said to me "hey you can have mine for free". He was just kidding but he is 70 and say's its a pain in the rear. We live in a waterfront home and the pool would be used maybe 5 months out of the year. It would be beautiful but I'd need to cover the pool most of the time as their are numerous live oak trees in the area. Now, I could still make this work but now I have 2 young grandkids and my kids are insisting we include the fence for safety. All total this would be a $100K investment and the money is available but at 65 and 58 maybe we don't need this hassle. So, I thought I'd get the advice of those here who have likely been down this road. Let me hear you're advise.

We would GIVE you ours if we could! We rarely use it, and it is kinda like a Dog and a baby, it needs pretty constant attention, whether you hire it out or do it yourself. Problem is it is hard to find a nice home without one where we live.

I have just had a pool put in, and can swim probably 7 months (s. fla). Also have no GK or kid issues to worry about (you can get door alarms instead of a fence, there are more options nowadays).

Cons:
It will take forever. I had a pool with half your budget, pretty simple design, and it was 10 months from contract to water. They are still doing finishing stuff...I hate the pool company now, but I think they are all like this. It was a good company, 50 years in business, quality, all that, but the customer service and communication..so many little annoyances and aggravations throughout the process with delays.... I think most builders are over capacity right now, but they will still take your business.

You need to be there for most of the construction, you might catch little things they did wrong, or not quite to plan. I also found it helpful to be home when inspections occurred, to talk to the inspectors and get more info than they wrote on the permit. Since the same people come out at multiple phases to inspect (like the electric gets 3x), it helps to build relationships.

Your entire yard will be a construction zone for ~6 months. Way beyond the pool perimeter and deck, as they'll have to dig up a lot of pipes. You might well have to move water lines, sprinklers, etc., and re-sod after, so add that work to your budget. In our case that's been about another $3-4k.

I have a huge mango tree that I didn't want to take out. That means I will be clearing leaves and stuff from it on the regular...

Pros
Despite all that I wish I'd just done it years ago. It's gorgeous, exactly what I wanted and makes the whole house feel bigger and nicer. We can see the pool from the entryway at the front clear through the living room so it adds to the whole house. The outside area now feels like a huge outdoor living space instead of just a deck and a garden. I can throw myself in it after working out or gardening or running and just chill out. We went with a salt system which is a little more than chlorine but less maintenance at least that's what they tell ya...

... But my neighbor said to me "hey you can have mine for free". He was just kidding but he is 70 and say's its a pain in the rear. ...
What's not to like about this? Arrange unlimited use for you and your family in exchange for taking over managing the maintenance of the pool, maybe even paying or sharing the cost. If no fence, add a fence at your expense or share expense with a convenient gate from your property. Write down the agreement, at least informally, and agree on a term with escape clauses for both sides as necessary.

Keep the $100K in your pocket.

Aerides summed up the building process pretty well. We’re a year from breaking ground and they finally finished one of the last issues we had just about a month ago. I contracted pre-COVID and they built during COVID. After the pool was in the ground (fiberglass), all we heard from the sub contractors (electric, gas, fencing and landscaping) was how hard it was to get help and parts. I love Aerides line - “I hate the pool company now”. Me too.

Since you say you’ve had pools, you know the maintenance aspect. I don’t mind the work, but I didn’t mind closing the pool a little early last year either.

We love our pool but one of the main reasons is that it’s fun time with the grandkids. If it were just me and DW, we might have just got a plunge pool and/or a hot tub. Only you can decide if it for you, but we’re happy with the decision. Our budget was about the same and we thought through alternatives that we could do with the family with that money. We fell pretty good that it was the best decision for us. For example, we could have taken the grandkids on vacation every year - say 10K per year for ten years. That would have been cool, but I don’t really like to travel and the total amount of time spend would be small compared to all summer having them come over say 3 to 4 times per week.

Then there’s the return on investment. Of course in planning, you have to say it’s zero, but I’m sure we improved the value of our house by 1/4 to maybe 1/2 the amount as long as we keep it in good condition. The total budget included a back yard gathering area that looks very nice so there’s certainly some residual value. We’re 60 and 65 and our youngest grand child is 5. If we get ten good years out of it, we’ll be happy. We’ll probably be looking to move at that time too. Our house sits on an acre and at some point, the work will be more than I want to do and more than I’m willing to pay to have done.

We put one in 12 years ago. In addition to the pool installation cost, factor in the natural gas source if you don't have gas in your neighborhood, your fence, and decking. We got something called coolcrete because we live in the south. I expanded the deck area when I build so it would be more usable for entertaining. Also consider where the pump will go because you don't want to hear it at night in the winter when it kicks on to avoid freezing in sub-32 temps. Also consider the monthly pool service and repair costs. We pay a service $260 per month, plus expect about an extra $1,000 per year worth of items that need to be replaced (motors, remotes, cleaners, filters, etc).

We got the Salt Water pool, so chlorine is automatic and easy (my simple non-scientific understanding is an electric charge turns NaCl into sodium and chlorine). Imagine we have saved a bunch on chemicals over the years.

We use the back yard for entertaining, and use the hot tub fairly regularly. On the plus side, the 500 gallon gas tank we buried in the yard to heat the tub (and pool if we wanted) serves to run our grill too, which is a plus since we live on a hurricane zone and face the threat of losing power.

Last edited:
A pool is popular in our neck of the woods. Friends told 12 months b/4 local pool company will give a quote. If accepted, build would not start till 2023.

Worse yet is the largest local pool maintenance company can't get employees so neighbors are screaming because their pools are full of green algae.

Most of my friends around age 70 have pools. They look at them every once in a while and go in them very rarely. One friend had his removed and that cost quite a bit. The grandkids will love it, but for only a short while.

Last edited:
We put a fiberglass pool in last year, and had a huge patio poured between the house and the pool.

Took 2 days to install it--including getting the crane in 2x. Then the electrics took 3 days and the concrete took 2 days. (I have a friend putting in a gunite pool, and it's taking them 3 mos. to complete it.)

All the pool contractors are backed up for the upcoming year. We were fortunate to even get a pool last year as the company in Knoxville quickly sold their complete production for the entire year.

The grandkids have been in the pool all day with their neighborhood friends. I just heard my wife scolding two 9 year old girls for dripping water all over the hardwood floors in the living room.

What a complete waste of money.

I could probably point to any number of indulgences or things others spend their money on and make the same comment.

But I never would, because that's an unhelpful and discourteous response. Everyone has different tastes.

I could probably point to any number of indulgences or things others spend their money on and make the same comment.

But I never would, because that's an unhelpful and discourteous response. Everyone has different tastes.

My discretionary spend is about half my budget. So I guess I completely waste about half my money. Enjoying every minute of it! :D

We retired to Florida a couple of years ago and bought a house with a salt water pool. The pool has a cage (a screened enclosure that surrounds the pool and patio area). We also have live oaks and the cage prevents leaves from getting in the pool. This is our second pool and by far the easiest to maintain. We add muriatic acid every Monday and use the pool bottom vacuum cleaner a couple of times a week and that is about it. The salt chlorine generator is almost maintenance free. As for the fence, you can buy temporary fencing that you only need to use when the kids or grandkids show up.

We are in the pool every day after we work out and again during the stifling hot afternoons. Our pool is the best quality of life investment we have made in retirement.

OK, Ive had several pools over the years and generally enjoyed them. So, naturally the thought crossed my mind to build one as DW and I are both retired. But my neighbor said to me "hey you can have mine for free". He was just kidding but he is 70 and say's its a pain in the rear. We live in a waterfront home and the pool would be used maybe 5 months out of the year. It would be beautiful but I'd need to cover the pool most of the time as their are numerous live oak trees in the area. Now, I could still make this work but now I have 2 young grandkids and my kids are insisting we include the fence for safety. All total this would be a $100K investment and the money is available but at 65 and 58 maybe we don't need this hassle. So, I thought I'd get the advice of those here who have likely been down this road. Let me hear you're advise.

My aunt and uncle who are in their 80s will gladly give you theirs.... just letthem know when you will pick it up. When I visited my uncle last week he told me that he plans to fill it in. I doubt that they have stepped foot in it in 15 years.

What's the matter with swimming in the lake since you have a waterfront home? Even if you have to put in a special dock for access or whatever, there is no maintenance.

We have a couple our age who is rebuilding and plans to put in an in-ground pool 150' from their nice sandy beach... I don't get it.... we swim in the lake.

... All total this would be a $100K investment...

Wow, I did not know pools are getting so expensive. Could you share the size of the pool, or any special feature it may have?

But my neighbor said to me "hey you can have mine for free". He was just kidding but he is 70 and say's its a pain in the rear. We live in a waterfront home and the pool would be used maybe 5 months out of the year. It would be beautiful but I'd need to cover the pool most of the time as their are numerous live oak trees in the area. Now, I could still make this work but now I have 2 young grandkids and my kids are insisting we include the fence for safety. All total this would be a $100K investment and the money is available but at 65 and 58 maybe we don't need this hassle.

From your statements, sounds like you already know what a pain it will be.

Listen to your gut instinct---don't do it!

With waterfront already, and with a neighbor who might make his pool available for your use, use that $100k for something better, like college funds for those 2 grandkids. That will make your kids happy, keep you happy, maybe even a deal with neighbor will make neighbor happy! Win/win/win.

Wow, I did not know pools are getting so expensive. Could you share the size of the pool, or any special feature it may have?

It's not all the pool. We spent $10K on concrete instead of putting in a deck. And by the time I'm finished we'll have put in 12 skids of sod and a bunch of landscaping bushes. I'm putting a 3' wall behind the pool with landscape bushes.

I'm fortunate that my back yard had 400' of 6' wood fencing when we purchased the house last year. Substantial fencing is a building code--for safety.

Many are going with saltwater pools for ease of maintenance. And many will also spend $5K on heat pumps so they can extend use of the pool one month earlier and one month later in the year.

The trends in pools is to go with smaller pools and more shallow pools. Our fiberglass pool is 13 x 26, however it's 5' deep all over it--perfect for water volleyball. Those really expensive pools are often gunite, however they quickly get high $$$$.

I swim in the in-laws pool almost every weekend. I (and they) feel like we need to use it. And its been in the ground at least 20 years.

My FIL says its his version of a sports car, with similar maintenance cost but it doesn't move as fast. They replace the heater every couple of years. They turn it off when they are having a party without swimming and on before we swim.

They have always steered us away from buying a home with a pool.

They now took over the maintenance as its more convenient and more reliable to DIY. Has nothing to do with costs. Plenty of dough to blow.

On second liner. Lord knows how many pumps...original power cover with multiple motors replaced for the cover.

It's a labor of love. They love watching their kids and grandkids use the pool and continue to pour money into it and the surrounding areas.

Add a Koi pond, waterfall, attached hot tub...a gazebo divided into thirds, one third cabana wet bar, one third storage, one third sauna. Think BIG!

My gunite pool is a good-sized 16'x36'. It's also a diving pool with the deep end at 12' deep. I wonder what it costs to build now. The home is 35-year-old.

Last edited:
We put in a pool when we lived in Scottsdale and we have very fond memories. Of course there you never have to close the pool. Even though I was working probably 70 hours a week in a startup I did the cleaning and it was really no big deal.

There, pools add value but this varies. And they sure have gotten a lot more expensive, especially during Covid.

Here in Virginia we have community pools and too many leafy trees to make it logical to add one. But we do dream of having one again.

Here in Virginia we have community pools and too many leafy trees to make it logical to add one.

^ ^ ^

OP, yes, why not look into community pools near your new location? Here in Oregon some neighborhoods have membership community pools. Pay the dues for as long as your grandkids/kids/you want to use it. When nobody goes swimming anymore, drop/resell your membership. A lot cheaper and a lot more convenient than building/maintaining/paying for your own pool.

I am a swimmer, and would love to have a pool assuming it was large enough to actually swim in. Most aren't. But I've been a lifeguard, and I've owned a home with a decent sized pool, So I know what's involved with taking care of a pool. I don't think I ever would do so again. There's a lot of maintenance involved, and if it's just a cool off pool I don't think it would get used very much. Also, depending on where you are the usage months can be pretty limited. In VA (where I owned a home with a pool) we were lucky to get 5 months of use. I've been in neighbors pools in FL, but they're very small and after March of so become bathtubs with water temps in the 80s or more.

I've considered doing an indoor infinity pool, or whatever you call those things that blow the water at you so you never need to do a turn. I might do that if we ever get to the owning one house stage. But to each his own. A pool for me is for swimming. If I can't swim, I don't see the use of it. The kids have neighborhood pools. As a matter of fact, DGD1 is starting her first job this week lifeguarding at their neighborhood pool. Pretty much what I was doing 50 years ago. I was thinking of going over and running around, to see if she'd blow her whistle and throw me out.

... I've considered doing an indoor infinity pool, or whatever you call those things that blow the water at you so you never need to do a turn...

I have seen videos of these. I wonder what kind of pump you need to have a decent flow of water. The pool tends to be narrow. It would have to be, else the pump would be huge.

We love having a pool. DW and I get in 3 or 4 times a week, often just to cool off and relax after working outside in the Texas heat. When our kids were here, they were in the pool nearly every day, May through Sept. Now our grandkids use it when they come over. It's great for holidays, family gatherings, etc. It's also a beautiful part of the landscape, which includes decks, planting beds, stone walkways, and lots of other features. We enjoy sitting out on the pool deck in the morning with coffee while the waterfall is trickling.

We're out there multiple times everyday. So maintenance is just a normal part of our daily routine, like checking the skimmers whenever you walk by. We have a Polaris cleaner that vacuums and brushes every day. All we do is empty the bag every 2 weeks or so. We never close the pool or cover it. In the off-season, I reduce the run-time on all the equipment and check chlorine maybe once a week. In summer, I check and adjust water chemistry more frequently and more thoroughly, but it's still no more than 10-15 minutes per week.

The only maintenance I dread is cleaning the filter. About twice a year, or whenever the pressure gets to a certain level, I have to break it down, hose down the cartridges, and then put it all back together. It's a messy job and takes about an hour.

We've had a pool for the last 22 years, starting when the kids were 8 and 11. Now... I can't really imagine living in Texas without one. It's great for cooling off, entertaining, and it's a beautiful part of the landscape.

x2.
I splurge and spend a lot of money of vehicle gas in a years time. It is one of my things I enjoy doing, so I don't care what it costs but I go and drive. In my country to do or get anywhere you have to drive miles and miles to get there thou.

We had ours put in about 12 years or so ago here in central TX and we love it. It also includes a built-in hot-tub that we use during the winter. I probably spend less than 5 minutes on it a day, mainly just to check skimmers. On weekends, I'll check Ph & Chlorine levels & maybe bring in a sample to the local pool shop for a deeper chemical check probably once a month. Maybe once a month or so I'll shock & backwash. Twice a season I have my repair guy come out and clean the grids as I decided that the small cost of doing that is worth it on my back.

It really only gets to be a pain when leaves drop. We have two seasons for that: autumn for most leaves (mainly Cedar Elm here) then again in the late winter/early spring when the live oaks do their thing with leaves followed by pollen stalks. Those are the times where I really have to stay on top of things. We wanted ours to look somewhat natural so all of the decking is limestone.

Things we'd do differently
1. I hate dealing with DE. I would go with a sand filter next time, even if the filtration isn't as good as DE.
2. We used a plaster that was too dark. The pool gets really warm in the summer. We bought a cooling unit (swamp-cooler type of unit) that we'll run overnight if we know we have guests coming over. Works like a champ. Will replace the plaster with a lighter color when the time comes.
3. I would have provisioned for a cover for the leaf seasons.

Somebody else mentioned a fence. In many municipalities, this is code - required. Even outside of that, it's just a good idea for safety purposes.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom