Car Batteries - They Don't Make Them Like They Used To?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Came home yesterday to find DW stranded at home with a dead 12V battery on her 2019 Honda Accord Hybrid! After jumping the car, I got it replaced at the Honda dealer for free under warranty.

I have replaced car batteries proactively at about 4 years without being confronted with a dead batt for decades, never expected a battery failure after 2 years 9 months. Is that normal for OEM batteries these days or just bad luck? I read a couple of Honda and Subaru forums with lots of posts about how crappy OEM batteries are these days, but for all I know there are thousands of owners who haven't had (premature) battery failures. Some of the posters had replaced their batteries with much better after market batteries shortly after buying their new Hondas/Subarus - seems like a waste.

Now I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about my Subaru with a 3 year 6 month old OEM battery...:blush: I may buy a battery load tester, or at least a shop/parts store that has a loaner.

Last edited:
I think it is true that they don't make them like they used to. Also, I found out that the Interstate battery sold at Costco is inferior to the same size Interstate battery sold at a garage. The garage tried to replace the Interstate battery that I bought at Costco under warranty and Interstate told them that they couldn't.

... Most automotive batteries made in America are manufactured by one of two companies: Johnson Controls, Inc. or Exide Technologies. The dominant replacement market brand names, Interstate and DieHard, are both Johnson Controls products, as is the Optima brand. Exide Technologies markets batteries under the Exide, and NASCAR Select brand names, and has manufactured the Champion brand, as well. However, Champion batteries are now manufactured by Johnson Controls. The other large domestic battery manufacturer, Delphi Corporation, sold its automotive battery business to Johnson Controls in 2005. ...

Is DW driving less frequently because of the pandemic?

Seems more folks (myself included) are finding batteries dying on them due to lack of use. To be fair, I didn't move the car for about 3 weeks.

I had to opportunity to just my new portable jumper a few months back. know that the jumper works now at least :).

I have one of those battery testers (tells the state of charge and state of health). If I can rely on the results, found that just by driving the car around the block and put the state of charge back from about 40% to 100% (on a good battery, of course).

Last edited:
Is DW driving less frequently because of the pandemic?

Seems more folks (myself included) are finding batteries dying on them due to lack of use. To be fair, I didn't move the car for about 3 weeks.

I had to opportunity to just my new portable jumper a few months back. know that the jumper works now at least :).
Yes, but she's still averaging over 9K year and uses the car almost every day, so I'd like to think lack of use isn't a significant issue?

I think it is true that they don't make them like they used to. Also, I found out that the Interstate battery sold at Costco is inferior to the same size Interstate battery sold at a garage. The garage tried to replace the Interstate battery that I bought at Costco under warranty and Interstate told them that they couldn't.

Costco will replace battery under warranty. I heard somewhere, Costco,
gets "special" interstate batteries.

... Most automotive batteries made in America are manufactured by one of two companies: Johnson Controls, Inc. or Exide Technologies. The dominant replacement market brand names, Interstate and DieHard, are both Johnson Controls products, as is the Optima brand. Exide Technologies markets batteries under the Exide, and NASCAR Select brand names, and has manufactured the Champion brand, as well. However, Champion batteries are now manufactured by Johnson Controls. The other large domestic battery manufacturer, Delphi Corporation, sold its automotive battery business to Johnson Controls in 2005. ...
Thanks for the background. I was leaning toward an Optima battery for my Subaru as it's just out of warranty, IF I replace proactively soon. I had no idea most brands were basically Johnson or Exide.

Up north (mid Atlantic), I could count on 5 years and was almost clockwork. When I moved to FL, the heat and different chemistry for this market gave about 3 years like clockwork. My new car is a 2019 built in 12/18 still on the OEM battery... it's been mostly garage kept so the battery might last a bit longer. Built in Germany so no idea what climate it was optimized for but some day will be surprised no doubt... been parked for 2 weeks so hopefully it starts for me on Wednesday when I finally have to drive!

Thanks for the background. I was leaning toward an Optima battery for my Subaru as it's just out of warranty, IF I replace proactively soon. I had no idea most brands were basically Johnson or Exide.

My folks have an Outback.. there is apparently an issue with battery drain (not sure if model specific or all Subarus) and a class-action lawsuit regarding the issue. My dad keeps a trickle charger on it now otherwise it won't start. Not sure if it's useful information or not but might be a car curse vice battery.

IMHO. New vehicle's have many "electronic" computers. (which older cars did not
have).
So even if car is off. Many components are still drawing a small current.

I change my cars batteries, every 4 years. Costco.

Also, check out "capacitor" portable battery charger. Can use a "dead" battery
to start your car. Also, you do not have to worry about your portable battery
charger being "dead", when you need it.

And on the flip side, on September 23 it will be 9 years since I bought my 2012 Ram. Still on its original battery, and never a bit of trouble. Of course, now that I've bragged about it... :p

My folks have an Outback.. there is apparently an issue with battery drain (not sure if model specific or all Subarus) and a class-action lawsuit regarding the issue. My dad keeps a trickle charger on it now otherwise it won't start. Not sure if it's useful information or not but might be a car curse vice battery.
Thanks! Mine is a 2018 Outback Touring 2.5L (smaller battery than the 3.6L I read), so I may be in the same boat.

And on the flip side, on September 23 it will be 9 years since I bought my 2012 Ram. Still on its original battery, and never a bit of trouble. Of course, now that I've bragged about it... :p
I assume it varies by carmaker if not model. Carmakers undoubtedly cut costs to differing degrees and in different areas and not others. Wish there was a way to predict what to expect for a given car/OEM battery.

She didn't complain, but I felt like I let DW down letting her get stranded (at least it was at home but she missed a tai chi class). No biggie if I'm stranded, but I try to make sure it doesn't happen to her. New batts every 4 years has worked - until now...

Last edited:
I'm in a colder climate and get 6 or 7 years out of a battery. 2014 Camry battery lasted 6+ years. It wasn't dead, but it was on its way.
I have a local place that sells only batteries. Mostly car, but all kinds of batteries. They usually have blemishes or used almost new batteries. This time my replacement was a 5 month old used that cost $40. Last was a battery that the case was double printed.

I've used only the Walmart EverStart Maxx (yellow) batteries and once they've been replaced, never needed replacing again.

EverStart is also manufactured by Johnson Controls.

I've noticed that even though the "security system" on my cars is the cheapo factory model, it seems to run the battery down pretty quickly. My "dormant" car on the mainland doesn't always make it between monthly starts by good buddy. He's taken to pulling the battery terminal to prevent the drain. The old battery (I had to eventually replace) in the car DID last between starts.

Longest I have kept a battery going since I moved to a hot climate is 28 months. It sucks.

Thanks! Mine is a 2018 Outback Touring 2.5L (smaller battery than the 3.6L I read), so I may be in the same boat.

2016 Outback here and every once in a while the battery is inexplicably dead. I bought a jump battery unit from Costco and that works well.... I had wanted to get one anyway.

I turned off the light that goes on when the hatch is open and that seems to help... dead battery is pretty rare these days.

Longest I have kept a battery going since I moved to a hot climate is 28 months. It sucks.
Guess I'm going to have to adjust my expectations, 4 years won't work anymore, didn't realize moving south would be a factor. Found this on CR:
Car batteries typically last from three to five years, according to AAA, spanning from 58 months or more in the furthest northern regions of the U.S., down to less than 41 months in the most southern regions. Inspections should be part of an owner’s routine maintenance, but it is especially important to check before taking a long road trip.
My Outback battery is 42 months old, though it started life up north. Wife's Honda battery was 33 months old...

Hopefully a top quality battery with higher CCA will last as long as the AAA stats where DW's OEM battery didn't make it anywhere near the AAA numbers.

Last edited:
My Highlander is nearing 4 1/2 years and I dread replacing the battery as it has a special $300 Enhanced Cyclic Mat battery due to the stop / start feature. Since I have disabled the stop/start, I may just buy a conventional battery.

Costco will replace battery under warranty. I heard somewhere, Costco,
gets "special" interstate batteries.

Yes, Costco has a very good warranty.

The downside, which is very strange, is that while they sell batteries they don't test batteries or install batteries.

I ended taking the tools that I needed with me, bought the battery, replaced it in their parking lot, and then returned the old battery to get a refund of the core charge.

They install tires that they sell, so why not batteries that they sell? One of those mysteries of life things I guess.

Though it's our third hybrid automobile, and we didn't have any battery problems on the first two, just dawned on me that hybrids are probably harder on 12V starting batteries since they start/stop the ICE more often than a standard ICE car...

A good reason to always keep a portable jump starter in your car, fairly inexpensive, takes up very little space, never know when you'll need it.

The 2 year, 9 month old original battery in my 2018 Ram 1500 went bad. Replaced under warranty. I guess they don't make them like they used to.

OTOH, my wife's 2016 Charger has the original battery. However, just to be safeI will be replacing the battery before the weather gets cold.

Last edited:
I hate to tell you, but there are just three major battery companies in the U.S. Their batteries are often sold under many different names and in domestic built automobiles/trucks.

I consider batteries to be generic, and they seem to go out as soon as the replacement warranty expires. They're also wear items like tires and brakes. Replacements are just part of owning a vehicle.

My diesel pickup has two big, expensive batteries. How'd you like to shell out $400 every 3-4 years?

Back
Top Bottom