Car Batteries - They Don't Make Them Like They Used To?

Ah, the benefits of an old car! My '56 MG had zero parasitic draw on the battery when parked. No radio, no clock etc. Just the self discharge of the battery itself which is about 1 year.

My '99 Buick's battery lasted more than 11 years and was still going strong when the battery's terminal rotted off. Not the cable clamp, the battery post itself.

I now have a small device that measures the battery capacity (health) so I don't arbitrarily replace the battery based on time. I have chosen to replace batteries when the capacity (not voltage) drops below 70%. Time will tell if this method works. If batteries last >10 years, I may not have enough time on this side of the grass to test this over the life of several batteries to know for sure.

Yep. All the new cars have something that is always draining the battery...so it's a pain. Even the door locks/transponders are always draining the battery.

I had largely ignored this thread until I went out this AM to start up the lawn tractor and nope...dead battery. Seems odd to me...last week it started right up. When I put the charger on it, the test showed 10% charge. Oh well, if it does it again I guess it'll be time to hit up the battery store.

Ah, the benefits of an old car! My '56 MG had zero parasitic draw on the battery when parked. No radio, no clock etc. Just the self discharge of the battery itself which is about 1 year.

My '99 Buick's battery lasted more than 11 years and was still going strong when the battery's terminal rotted off. Not the cable clamp, the battery post itself.

I now have a small device that measures the battery capacity (health) so I don't arbitrarily replace the battery based on time. I have chosen to replace batteries when the capacity (not voltage) drops below 70%. Time will tell if this method works. If batteries last >10 years, I may not have enough time on this side of the grass to test this over the life of several batteries to know for sure.

Reminds me of my '91 Mazda. I left it untouched in the backyard of the old homestead when we moved to the Islands. First time I returned was 9 months later. The battery turned the engine with no problem and it started within 5 seconds. It did sound a bit like a diesel for 30 seconds, but the battery lasted like that (9 months off 3 months on) for another 4 years. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom