Tesla to start charging customers for a "connectivity" fee going forward

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
Ugh, here it comes, fee based driving after you shell out big bucks for the car.

While the standard connectivity package has always been free for the vehicle's lifespan, Big T is now saying that's only going to be true for the first eight years of ownership. The rationale here is that automotive companies have to continue supporting connectivity services and that there needs to be something to help offset that ongoing financial investment.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/c...ubsription-for-connectivity-services-44496388

I've wondered about this, and was part of the inquisition I was giving my buddy who took delivery of his Model Y a couple months ago.

Because the vehicle is so tied in and connected to Tesla, I was very inquisitive if the car "required" connectivity to operate? If you wanted to disconnect from Tesla and not have any connectivity to the company, aside from possibly firmware updates, could you do it? I was extremely paranoid of the vehicle being so intertwined with the company, feeding all of its data and how that effects privacy now and in the future. Do I want Tesla to have the ability to know where I am all the time and my driving habits? Have the ability to hand that data over to my insurance company if they simply pay for it? So I'm going to pay Tesla to take all that data from me, and then it's available for sale? Count me out.

Now, clearly with this 8 year drop dead date, it will certainly decrease resale value further as any buyer will need to account for future subscription costs.

It's now given me yet another reason not to go to EV...especially if it's becoming standard across the industry.

I've wondered about this, and was part of the inquisition I was giving my buddy who took delivery of his Model Y a couple months ago.

Because the vehicle is so tied in and connected to Tesla, I was very inquisitive if the car "required" connectivity to operate? If you wanted to disconnect from Tesla and not have any connectivity to the company, aside from possibly firmware updates, could you do it? I was extremely paranoid of the vehicle being so intertwined with the company, feeding all of its data and how that effects privacy now and in the future. Do I want Tesla to have the ability to know where I am all the time and my driving habits? Have the ability to hand that data over to my insurance company if they simply pay for it? So I'm going to pay Tesla to take all that data from me, and then it's available for sale? Count me out.

Now, clearly with this 8 year drop dead date, it will certainly decrease resale value further as any buyer will need to account for future subscription costs.

It's now given me yet another reason not to go to EV...especially if it's becoming standard across the industry.

Another thing to remember is that there have been instances of buyers who bought used Tesla's getting options removed electronically once the sale went through (even though the previous owners paid for those options). Things like Auto Driving mode, Ludicrous Mode, etc.

From what I read elsewhere (including another thread on this forum) it's not just EV's going to it, maybe all or most vehilcles will.

For now though I'll plan on keeping my 2003 GMC 4WD pickup for as long as I can. I can't think of a thing that a new truck would do that would make it worth $50k+ to me.

From what I read elsewhere (including another thread on this forum) it's not just EV's going to it, maybe all or most vehilcles will.

For now though I'll plan on keeping my 2003 GMC 4WD pickup for as long as I can. I can't think of a thing that a new truck would do that would make it worth $50k+ to me.

Yes, BMW has announced it will start charging for things like heated seats. And I am keeping my 2005 Mustang convertible that just turned 65,000 miles.

Ditto - my 2011 Chevy HHR is going to stay with me so long as I can keep it operational. When we purchased DW's VW almost 5 years ago, we purchased the 2014 instead of the 2015 not only for the somewhat lower price, but because it didn't have more additional unnecessary "stuff".

Another thing to remember is that there have been instances of buyers who bought used Tesla's getting options removed electronically once the sale went through (even though the previous owners paid for those options). Things like Auto Driving mode, Ludicrous Mode, etc.

Wow, that would just infuriate me. That's just greed, pure and simple.

Note to self: Never, ever, even think about buying a Tesla.

Well, these car makers think they have enough followers who wait for years to buy their cars, they don't need no stinkin' cheap car owners who just posted on this thread. ;)

If you are that cheap, you do not deserve these special cars. :LOL:

My blood pressure was doing well. Then I read this thread.

Well, these car makers think they have enough followers who wait for years to buy their cars, they don't need no stinkin' cheap car owners who just posted on this thread. ;)

If you are that cheap, you do not deserve these special cars. :LOL:

My blood pressure was doing well. Then I read this thread.

LOL! :LOL:

Lots of cheapskates here, and that's how we got here!

Yes, BMW has announced it will start charging for things like heated seats. And I am keeping my 2005 Mustang convertible that just turned 65,000 miles.

Ditto - my 2011 Chevy HHR is going to stay with me so long as I can keep it operational. When we purchased DW's VW almost 5 years ago, we purchased the 2014 instead of the 2015 not only for the somewhat lower price, but because it didn't have more additional unnecessary "stuff".

My 2020 GM car is driven 4,000 miles/year. And I have a 2003 Nissan SUV with 35K miles. These 2 cars will last me a long time.

My 2020 GM car is driven 4,000 miles/year. And I have a 2003 Nissan SUV with 35K miles. These 2 cars will last me a long time.

There has probably never been a time in modern history to hold the good vehicles as what's coming forward will be like you see in the restaurants, grocery stores and other service costs (price increases, added fees, subscription adders, etc).

In addition, your older, well taken care of vehicle will hold its value or maybe just retain a baseline value if it is kept in good condition.

Seriously, what I hate about these "deals" is that you are a captive customer. What happens if they jack up the price to the point that you don't want to pay?

Does it turn your car into a brick if you don't like the price? You don't have the option of going to a competitor, like you do with Internet, cell phone, or video streaming subscriptions.

PS. I just learned Tesla cars do not have Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. Without their subscription, you will not have map display or access to music.

I enjoy the map display and navigation from my smartphone, which is passed to the car display via Android Auto. And the YouTube music too.

Last edited:
Wow, that would just infuriate me. That's just greed, pure and simple.

Note to self: Never, ever, even think about buying a Tesla.
Some of the best advice, I've ever seen you give!

That has bothered a lot of people. I recently read a story about a guy in Poland who came up with a rather elaborate hack to get CarPlay in his Tesla.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/06/27/apple-carplay-hack-works-with-any-tesla-model/

Here's part of that link:

Despite the preponderance of **CarPlay** on many electric cars, Tesla does not offer official support. Hints in 2020 that Tesla was planning to support Apple Music never came to fruition, and Tesla CEO Elon Musk doesn't respond to requests on Twitter for the company to bring **CarPlay** to its vehicles, despite it being one of the most-requested features among Tesla owners.

At the Worldwide Developers Conference 2022, Apple previewed the "next generation" of *CarPlay* for compatible vehicles. The next-gen *CarPlay* experience will support multiple displays within a vehicle, offer built-in climate controls for adjusting the temperature of the A/C or heat within the *CarPlay* interface, and more.

Apple said the first vehicles to support the new *CarPlay* experience will be announced in late 2023, with committed automakers including Ford, Lincoln, Mercedes-Benz, Infiniti, Honda, Acura, Jaguar, Land Rover, Audi, Nissan, Volvo, Porsche, and more.

There has probably never been a time in modern history to hold the good vehicles as what's coming forward will be like you see in the restaurants, grocery stores and other service costs (price increases, added fees, subscription adders, etc).

In addition, your older, well taken care of vehicle will hold its value or maybe just retain a baseline value if it is kept in good condition.

I bought a Jeep Wrangler 13 months ago. The dealer contacted me and wanted to know if I wanted to sell it. They had a buyer.

Speaking of "connectivity". I had the Jeep Sirius Guardian Uconnect for the first year. It has now expired and I didn't renew. I suspect that all car companies are going after subscription services.

Seriously, what I hate about these "deals" is that you are a captive customer. What happens if they jack up the price to the point that you don't want to pay?

Does it turn your car into a brick if you don't like the price? You don't have the option of going to a competitor, like you do with Internet, cell phone, or video streaming subscriptions.

PS. I just learned Tesla cars do not have Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. Without their subscription, you will not have map display or access to music.

I enjoy the map display and navigation from my smartphone, which is passed to the car display via Android Auto. And the YouTube music too.

No Android Auto would hurt. I have to make a 4-hour round-trip drive pretty much every week, and enjoy listening to the Spotify playlist (via AA) I'd put together the day before.

In general this is just another form of big brother. Might not be big brother government, but instead big brother car companies. Yes they have profit motivation, but it also allows them to know about your driving, your maintenance, your locations, and more.

How many of you have put the insurance company sensor plugged into your OBD port, where the insurance company says it is to reward good driving with lower rates? Welcome to big brother insurance if you did.

How about the black box built into your new car computer that records all sorts of data prior to an accident; or maybe by the warranty center to deny something? "Sorry you drove too fast and therefore you caused the engine failure, warranty work denied." More big brother that you aren't even told about.

Yes I am quite distrusting of govt and big companies prying into my life. My tin foil hat doesn't help.

That has bothered a lot of people. I recently read a story about a guy in Poland who came up with a rather elaborate hack to get CarPlay in his Tesla.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/06/27/apple-carplay-hack-works-with-any-tesla-model/
No big deal. My phone is connected via Bluetooth and I play music and podcasts from it all the time while driving. I have quite a bit of control of the phone from the Tesla UI. Music/podcasts, phone calls, messages/texts all go through the Tesla audio/video system. Navigation is built into Tesla and takes into account charging needs and automatically routes through charging stops as needed. The Tesla navigation is excellent, map and route super visible on that big display, and handles routing through multiple stops, something that Apple Maps still can’t handle. So basically CarPlay would be redundant and not sufficient for navigation.

Last edited:
Toyota has had paid subscriptions for all of their new vehicles for a number of years now, they kick in after ~1-3 years depending on the function. Nothing critical that will brick the car, if you have built in Navigation you'll lose map updates, lose the ability for remote start, destination assist, safety connect, etc. I didn't renew any of them when they expired on my Toyota.

us as well. we weren't interested in an EV to begin with...range, time needed to re-charge, cost of the EV and installing charging equip. at home...but this just puts a lock on it. we'll stay with our '03 and '10 jeeps.

Can I ask why you picked such a biased headline? I read the article and it says anyone that bought a Tesla before July 1 has lifetime free
connectivity. Anyone buying after that date will have will have 8 years. I don't see a reason for your outrage..it was pretty transparent information

So in reading the article in the OP.... I have a question. Do existing, legacy, early adopter tesla owners have to start paying in 8 years? The wording was a bit ambiguous - does this only apply to new buyers (post July 20) or all tesla owners after july 20, 2030?

The article also suggested Tesla would probably start charger sooner than the 8 years....

After years of having Tesla envy... This whole subscription thing has ended that. When I go EV it will be with another manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom