Tesla to start charging customers for a "connectivity" fee going forward

Maybe this is for Model S and Model X? My Model 3 Performance came with one year of free connectivity and it was clear at purchase that I’d pay after that. It provides Internet access to the vehicle and, as far as I know, in my case it keeps Maps, Browsing, and Spotify working. It’s $10.40 a month with tax in Wisconsin. I’m fine with paying it.

Buying the car was great. Picking up the car was effectively “It’s over there. Drop the papers in the box on the side of the building on your way out.” While this surprised me, I didn’t care because I don’t need a party at the dealership at time of delivery.

Owning it has been great. The color of the plastic body panels doesn’t exactly match the color of the metal body panels and the panel gaps are definitely not BMW-class but we allow Tesla these deficiencies because the rest of the car is so good.

It’s hard to describe the experience of ownership and driving one and why it’s so good. I’d suggest you don’t knock it until you’ve driven one. It’s the best car I’ve ever owned and I’ve had some good ones like BMW M3s, a VW Golf R, etc.

Good as any car is, I would not be good with paying monthly/yearly fees to keep key features (or the whole car) turned on. Something like ONSTAR is okay as you don't need it - especially since everyone has a cell phone. Buy it if you like it. Don't buy it if you don't need it. But I'm not buying a car that has fees to keep normal function of the car. Period. Fortunately, I'll be gone before the last of the "old" cars are no longer available. Heh, heh, my 2000 may be my last car.:LOL:

Good as any car is, I would not be good with paying monthly/yearly fees to keep key features (or the whole car) turned on. Something like ONSTAR is okay as you don't need it - especially since everyone has a cell phone. Buy it if you like it. Don't buy it if you don't need it. But I'm not buying a car that has fees to keep normal function of the car. Period. Fortunately, I'll be gone before the last of the "old" cars are no longer available. Heh, heh, my 2000 may be my last car.:LOL:

Tesla’s connectivity is much the same as OnStar.
The car’s main functions work just fine without them.
Perhaps if you defined exactly what “main functions of the car” means I could better understand?

When I read that, I infer you mean turning the wheel, moving, windshield wipers, HVAC and such. If you mean something else, please clarify. :flowers:

There has probably never been a time in modern history to hold the good vehicles as what's coming forward will be like you see in the restaurants, grocery stores and other service costs (price increases, added fees, subscription adders, etc).

In addition, your older, well taken care of vehicle will hold its value or maybe just retain a baseline value if it is kept in good condition.

When we went to buy our first Corvette in 1972, I looked at the 1968 & later unofficially called "Shark" or the 1963-1967 original "Sting Ray".

Besides lots of quality problems, the Shark was longer, wider, and heavier. Bigger on the outside but smaller on the inside. Poor visibility, smaller trunk. It just had nothing to entice me, and the emissions/economy-strangled engines were pathetic. So we bought a used 1967 and loved it. Sold it later when we needed space for kids. Glad we kept the kids but sorry we sold the car.

We now have a 7th generation Corvette (C7) and it will probably be our last one. The 8th generation is following the old pattern- longer, wider, heavier. Poor visibility, smaller trunk. The only place where DW, walled off from me in her right seat, could reach her purse would be to keep it on the floor between her feet. Ugh.

Tesla’s connectivity is much the same as OnStar.
The car’s main functions work just fine without them.
Perhaps if you defined exactly what “main functions of the car” means I could better understand?

When I read that, I infer you mean turning the wheel, moving, windshield wipers, HVAC and such. If you mean something else, please clarify. :flowers:

The article and things discussed here mentioned "potential" things like heated seats and performance package. I didn't read closely, but if ANY thing I didn't have to pay for when I bought the car and was not WARNED that it would cost in the future, it's a deal breaker with the entire company if they should do such a thing. I mentioned ON STAR because it was often offered "free" for a year with the understanding that if you wanted to continue using it after 1 year, you would pay a fee. I'm okay with that. But if I buy a Tesla and they won't allow me to use something that I used to be able to use unless I pay a fee, that's a problem. As I said: A deal breaker. YMMV

(emphasis added)

I agree with what you say, but I believe that many EV enthusiasts don't stop to consider that "many" is not the same as "most".

There are still a lot of us old fossils around who actually enjoy the process of cross-county driving. Here is an example from my own experience:

I recently did a long driving trip (three days) and had to stop for gas six times. About five minutes each time at a gas station, so half an hour or so total.

I looked at the Tesla routing and tried the same trip. I would have had to stop more than a dozen times for a total of nearly six hours sitting at superchargers.

That just isn't acceptable to me. Interestingly, I rented a Tesla last year for five days and didn't like it. The ride was extremely harsh compared to my regular car, and the road noise was so loud it was horrible. Admittedly, I learned later that it had been a "performance model", but that couldn't excuse everything.

No argument that many of us would be happy with a BEV, but as long as folks like me are around, that does not mean most.

Since this thread has drifted into EVs-
A nearby suburban couple we are friends with bought a Tesla last year. They like it for local trips. They also drove to the coast in South Carolina and back and said they'd never do it again. Too many problems with charging stations being hard to find, occupied, broken, off their route, shady neighborhoods, etc. Plus the long times for charging.

We drove back roads through west Texas two years ago and had to plan carefully just to to buy gasoline for our car with 400+ mile range, an EV would be hopeless.
Like jets replaced propellers, EVs are the wave of the future. But not this year, or next.

A nearby suburban couple we are friends with bought a Tesla last year. They like it for local trips. They also drove to the coast in South Carolina and back and said they'd never do it again. Too many problems with charging stations being hard to find, occupied, broken, off their route, shady neighborhoods, etc. Plus the long times for charging.

We drove back roads through west Texas two years ago and had to plan carefully just to to buy gasoline for our car with 400+ mile range, an EV would be hopeless.
Like jets replaced propellers, EVs are the wave of the future. But not this year, or next.

In '94, I drove from San Antonio to El Passo. There were times I was concerned I wouldn't find gas, though I did. I doubt there are "fully working" chargers along that route (I-10??) though I have no data - would be interested if anyone has taken a Tesla/Leaf, etc. through that area.

Yes, I believe one day we will see EV use for the consumer on a 'subscription' basis. Simple math will reign for corporations and government alike to sway consumers this way, whether it be for vehicles alone or charging stations.

Not as long as there are "dumb" cars left for me to buy. My 2012 is dumb as a post (as is my 2000). My guess is the smartest cars are EVs. I don't think the subscription requirement will help sell EVs but what do I know?

Maybe this is for Model S and Model X? My Model 3 Performance came with one year of free connectivity and it was clear at purchase that I’d pay after that. It provides Internet access to the vehicle and, as far as I know, in my case it keeps Maps, Browsing, and Spotify working. It’s $10.40 a month with tax in Wisconsin. I’m fine with paying it.

Buying the car was great. Picking up the car was effectively “It’s over there. Drop the papers in the box on the side of the building on your way out.” While this surprised me, I didn’t care because I don’t need a party at the dealership at time of delivery.

Owning it has been great. The color of the plastic body panels doesn’t exactly match the color of the metal body panels and the panel gaps are definitely not BMW-class but we allow Tesla these deficiencies because the rest of the car is so good.

It’s hard to describe the experience of ownership and driving one and why it’s so good. I’d suggest you don’t knock it until you’ve driven one. It’s the best car I’ve ever owned and I’ve had some good ones like BMW M3s, a VW Golf R, etc.
This is about basic connectivity.

New car buyers after July 20 get 8 years of basic connectivity. After that it becomes a subscription.

The Models X and S currently come with 1 year of premium connectivity which supports stuff like music streaming and live traffic updates, watching video and internet browsing on the large display. After that it’s like $99 a year or the monthly equivalent.

Fortunately the color matching on my bright red Model X is perfect. Some folks who have noticed an issue on delivery have gotten it corrected.

Last edited:
In '94, I drove from San Antonio to El Passo. There were times I was concerned I wouldn't find gas, though I did. I doubt there are "fully working" chargers along that route (I-10??) though I have no data - would be interested if anyone has taken a Tesla/Leaf, etc. through that area.
Yes, I-10 is fully covered with well spaced Tesla superchargers: Leon springs, Junction, Ozona, Fort Stockton, Van Horn, Fort Bliss. These are regularly in use, ha ha.

Last edited:

Too bad for your friends. That has not been our experience so far with longer trips and we bought our Tesla specifically for long distance trips. We felt that the Tesla charging infrastructure was sufficient to support distance driving, and many more supercharger facilities have been added and are permitted/under construction. During charging stops we often barely have time to go to the bathroom or grab a cool drink, and the break is greatly appreciated by the driver (me).

This is about basic connectivity.

New car buyers after July 20 get 8 years of basic connectivity. After that it becomes a subscription.

The Models X and S currently come with 1 year of premium connectivity which supports stuff like music streaming and live traffic updates, watching video and internet browsing on the large display. After that it’s like $99 a year or the monthly equivalent.

Fortunately the color matching on my bright red Model X is perfect. Some folks who have noticed an issue on delivery have gotten it corrected.

That seems reasonable - especially since it is known up front. (I don't like surprises AFTER I buy something though YMMV.)

Back
Top Bottom