Driving

Moparguy392

Recycles dryer sheets
I hate driving at night, so I don't. I find that driving during the day can be challenging due bad drivers we encounter. We drove across town the other day on the interstate and was frankly appalled at the driving antics I witnessed such as janky lane changes without signaling (apparently a thing of the past), tailgating, inattentive drivers. We will not do that again anytime soon. We will have to find another way to our destination. I once had a tailgater who was stopped by the police and cited ('bout time!). We carefully try to choose the time of day and route to minimize our exposure. It has definitely become worse in our area and suspect it has become ubiquitous. Another reason I am thankful to be retired.

P.S. I have become that guy...Get off my lawn! Sad but true

Avoiding rush hour was one of the very first behavior changes made when I retired.

You’re free to punish yourself. We just don’t drive at rush hour when we can avoid it, easy once retired, and don’t take the roads we know back up from past experience. We live in a metro area of over 2.5 million and traffic is completely manageable with the above.

Do you by chance live in Houston? Sounds as if you described the traffic conditions and driving tactics perfectly. Of course I can think of a few other (actually more than a few) big cites "almost" as bad.

Last edited:
Some really bad drivers around here! Not generally aggressive though. And we’ve had way too much interstate construction here too lately. But we just try to avoid busy times and at least here there is enough road capacity to accommodate the cars unlike many other metropolitan areas of the US. Other than construction constrictions, there isn’t much in the way of traffic jams.

You may not expect it but I have heard a large number of people say Wisconsin drivers are among the worst in the country. Milwaukee is the worst but they are bad everywhere. I try to never drive during rush hour if avoidable and just don't drive much in general. From the excessive speeding, lack of turn signals, tailgating, texting it just is not worth the risk to be out any more than absolutely necessary. Sad but true.

Hello Moparguy, Welcome to the forum.

We fixed that by moving where there is almost no traffic.

That can raise other problems. I don't like driving at night anywhere - even out in the boonies. Came across a herd of elk a couple of weeks ago at night. And deer almost nightly at our rural home. So I always try to do my driving in daylight.

Growing up in the Vehicle City, I’ve always been a fairly aggressive driver. Years ago, first time taking my Montana born wife back there and witnessing a police chase up the burrow pit between the interstate, then later a guy zipping a block and a half past us the wrong way up a one way street to get into a restaurant, and almost everyone driving like they’re in the Indy 500 swooshing between lanes, she exclaimed, now I understand why you drive the way you do. Everyone here drives like a maniac. Lol.

But I think I’ve mellowed with age. Now my biggest pet driving peeve is people who block traffic driving in the passing lane when they’re not passing. But I don’t tailgate and flash my brights at them like they do in Europe. :eek::D

I've mellowed out, some with age, also with FIRE. I'm rarely in a rush. I walk/bike when I can but just leave extra time and bring a book or play on my phone if traffic isn't as bad as anticipated and I arrive early. I am also a bit of an optimizer and I can optimize my mental health and save gas by setting cruise control at the speed limit (or over if speeding is necessary to not disrupt the flow) and "parking" myself in the right lane.

When on longer trips I may go 5-15 over if safe based on conditions in order to optimize travel time over economy. (I'll aim to be 80-90th percentile so the real speeders can flush any speed traps and I won't weave through heavy traffic)

Unless at a night event, I avoid night driving.
The drivers in this area can be fairly bad at times. Have seen lots more accidents in FLA than up North.
I also mainly avoid rush hour and shop in the less busy hours.
Works well enough, as we will not live out in the boonies.

Two words for you "defensive driving." Years ago I rode a motorcycle and took the MSF test plus read more than my fair share of motorcycle safety books, all of which made me a better vehicle driver and gave me an appreciation of the physics behind driving. On interstates around Chattanooga you pretty much have to go with the flow, 10 mph or more over the posted speed limit or get run over. And yes there are idiots lane swapping constantly causing accidents. Throw in inclement weather conditions and can bet there will always be an accident at the 24/75 split and the 24 ridge cut. Try to do most of my driving between rush hours and very seldom drive after dark. Again, defensive driving and never get in a hurry are keys to avoiding accidents, at least in my way of thinking.

Last edited:
There is no rush hour here. Traffic is only during tourist season when they're working on the roads.

However, driving at night is not for the faint of heart. Too many deer, elk, bear, and the occasional moose make it challenging. I hit a deer a couple of years ago at 70mph, and I can still see it flying.

You may not expect it but I have heard a large number of people say Wisconsin drivers are among the worst in the country. Milwaukee is the worst but they are bad everywhere. I try to never drive during rush hour if avoidable and just don't drive much in general. From the excessive speeding, lack of turn signals, tailgating, texting it just is not worth the risk to be out any more than absolutely necessary. Sad but true.

I used to live in Wisconsin and I remember everyone driving excessively slow. Throw in all the folks heading north from Chicago and fun times had by all.

Worst drive I can remember lately is the stretch of interstate from Las Vegas to LA. There are some long uphill stretches filled with trucks and RVs going slow. Cars darting in and out or worse, just sitting in the left lane going right at the posted limit. Hairy the whole way.

I used to live in Wisconsin and I remember everyone driving excessively slow. Throw in all the folks heading north from Chicago and fun times had by all.

Worst drive I can remember lately is the stretch of interstate from Las Vegas to LA. There are some long uphill stretches filled with trucks and RVs going slow. Cars darting in and out or worse, just sitting in the left lane going right at the posted limit. Hairy the whole way.

One of my guilty pleasures is police body cam videos. Wisconsin never disappoints. I really think Wisconsin Man should be above Florida Man in the rankings of bad life decisions.

One of my guilty pleasures is police body cam videos. Wisconsin never disappoints. I really think Wisconsin Man should be above Florida Man in the rankings of bad life decisions.

Likely because Wisconsin is one of the booziest states.

I calmed down on my driving in my 40’s. I realized that I’d pass people, weaving in and out of the lane string to get ahead, and the people I passed would pull up next to me at the next light. On the freeway, I did some math and figured out that going faster really didn’t get me there much sooner, certainly not enough for the risk.

At 62, driving is not a problem but I do prefer to drive during the day. Around town where I’m familiar with the roads and path home, night driving is not bad but when I take a trip, I do all my driving in the daylight if at all possible. As for bad drivers, I find life a lot easier if you just get out of their way. Sure, there’s no reason someone should be tailgating me when I’m doing 10 over in the left lane but whatever, I just move over and clear the tension.

In general, me and DW do try to stay home when it’s not retiree’s hours. Unfortunately, since COVID, traffic has changed and much of what used to be off hours now has a significant increase in traffic. Maybe all those people working from home aren’t.

Big rig Truck drivers are getting worse. We just got home from driving I-10 Arizona to Louisiana. Twice I almost got run over while passing an 18 wheeler who decided to come into my lane before I was past him. Close meaning only a foot kept him from hitting me. Then this other 18 wheeler was tailgating me through a construction zone while following a pilot car. 5’ from my rear bumper! Then after the construction zone the same idiot passed me and nearly took out my front end pulling back in, missed me by a couple feet. No way could he judge just how close he was from his mirrors. Then watched him run 3 oncoming cars onto the shoulder as he tried to pass others. Unfortunately this was in a remote area with no cell service. Otherwise I would have reported him.
I usually drive with the traffic but mostly about 5 over on highways. Other times at the posted limit. But geez guys stay off your phone!
And what is it with people who can't keep a steady speed? Don't cars come with cruise control anymore? Can't count how many times someone zips up to me in the left lane, slows down and matches my speed for a mile or 2 then finally zips ahead. Then I catch up to him, pass him and he repeats this stupidity again and again!
Guess I need to order another dash cam, left the other one in the RV.

It's surprising how many drivers don't use their turn indicators. Some put them on at the very last moment, as if they were purposely trying to "get one over" on their fellow drivers, by springing their decision on them at the last possible moment. In fact, I think that is exactly what is going on. Too many drivers think of driving in terms of them against everyone else, instead of thinking of it as us all collectively trying to get to our destinations, with help from each other.

I don't care much for driving. Like frayne, I used to ride a motorcycle, and felt much more in touch with the environment I was traveling through. Nowadays, I ride a bicycle for all my local trips, and enjoy the sense of engagement. Four-wheeled transport is much safer than two-wheeled transport but, for me at least, it comes at the price of making me feel disengaged from my surroundings.

We prefer not to drive at night, avoid it as much as we can.

Welcome to the forum, Moparguy! Hope to hear more about your retirement journey.

I have been driving in Wisconsin for over 25 years and don't remember a time when people drove slow here. Maybe the occasional "Sunday driver" but that's it. It has gotten worse the last 5 years or so but it was always bad IMO.

Back
Top Bottom