Any one ER'd or otherwise in Branson?

JPatrick

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DW and I have tossed Branson, MO, into the hat containing places that look good for retirement.. We know about the world class traffic, but figuire we can engineer around that with experience.  Looks like a waterfront home is still quite possible for under $250K.
Taxes appear to be no worse than middle of the road and a 4 season climate(mild) is a plus.
Anyone got any thoughts on this place??

Cheap and go if you like the honky tonk scene

Columbia is better but a bit further from the Ozarks and lakes; popular retirement spot for some Midwestern people

Will be there the first week of August on a trip through the area east of Branson looking at farms for sale. I think Branson is going to be crowded and pushy like most boom towns :p. I'll take in a show and have dinner and move on the next day to quieter pastures  :D

I am looking for someplace rural, quiet, slow, easy going, no traffic, no industrial noise, when you hear gun fire you know the fox has been trying to get into the hen house again not somebody robbing 7-11 :eek: again....
Kitty

wildcat said:
Cheap and go if you like the honky tonk scene

Columbia is better but a bit further from the Ozarks and lakes; popular retirement spot for some Midwestern people

Columbia is a nice smaller city, but in my mind not much else.
I've got to have the water and the recreation out the back door. Tonky tonk once a month is OK also.

Kitty said:
Will be there the first week of August on a trip through the area east of Branson looking at farms for sale. I think Branson is going to be crowded and pushy like most boom towns :p. I'll take in a show and have dinner and move on the next day to quieter pastures  :D

I am looking for someplace rural, quiet, slow, easy going, no traffic, no industrial noise, when you hear gun fire you know the fox has been trying to get into the hen house again not somebody robbing 7-11 :eek: again....
Kitty

Kitty, what attracted you to this general area?
I'm hoping that some of the lakside communities are private enough that the tourist action doesn't get into your lives unless you choose.
That 7/11 stuff really hits home too. Hey I've got stock in the parent company. :(

JPatrick

If you want to be on a lake I strongly encourage you to look at Table Rock Lake.

Kitty said:

Kitty

Well Kitty, your ideal place sounds just like mine. Regarding Branson,
I go right by there on my way back and forth to Texas. I have never stopped as I picture it as very touristy. I also avoid Disneyland/Disneyworld
type areas. For you midwestern residents, The Wisconsin Dells is on my
"avoid list" also.

JG

JPatrick said:
Kitty, what attracted you to this general area?
I'm hoping that some of the lakside communities are private enough that the tourist action doesn't get into your lives unless you choose.
That 7/11 stuff really hits home too.  Hey I've got stock in the parent company. :(

I have driven through Arkansas and Missouri several times. I have never had the time to stop and enjoy the area. Some of the things I like are the farms, small towns, and the looks of the land. I also like the lower taxes, lower cost of living four seasons and rural life style.
I am not an experienced farmer by any measure, but I love to garden, would like my own home flock of hens, raise a calf to beef and let my grand kids play in the barn and fish in the pond, ride a horse.
A long walk every day to the mail box with my dog would be a treat even when it is cold or steamy hot. I like the country wave when you pass someone on a rural road. If you know them and want to you stop right there and have a gab.  :D
The slower less hectic pace, less stress compared to urban life is something I want. I want to be around folks who do the same things I like; garden, raise animals, etc.

Kitty

The Eastern-half of the North shore of Table Rock, say from Kimberling city over
to Branson, is very "touristy:" From Kmberling West on the North shore, and
basically the entire South Shore, is "boonies."   If you want a lakefront house,
be sure to buy exactly what you want, as you do not own to the water's edge:
you own to the 'government take line," usually to a certain elevation.  If you
want a private boat dock, buy a house that has one; you will never be able to
add it later.  If you want grass mowed to the waters edge, be sure to buy it;
if you have large trees on the government land blocking your view of the lake,
you will never be able to trim them.  I don't know if the shoreline rules are
posted online for Table Rock, but they are for Bull Shoals lake (nearby and another you may wish to consider) and the rules are all similar:

http://www.swl.usace.army.mil/parks/bullshoals/pdf_files/shoreline.pdf

You might also want to consider Truman Lake, also a "Corp of Engineers"
lake with similar regs.

I chose Pomme de Terre lake, a much smaller lake (7,800 acres water vs.
50,000 + acres) located between Table Rock and Truman and bought
7.5 acres of land overlooking the lake and butting-up against the government
property with about 100 feet of woods between me and the water.
A county-maintained gravel road along one boundary line gives me
(and the public) "drive to the water's edge" access.  No way to have
a boat dock, but then I play with little home-made boats that i would not
leave in the water anyway.

I hold ownership of this land within one of my IRA accounts and maybe, someday, I will be able to retire to it.

capricious said:
The Eastern-half of the North shore of Table Rock, say from Kimberling city over
to Branson, is very "touristy:" From Kmberling West on the North shore, and
basically the entire South Shore, is "boonies."   If you want a lakefront house,
be sure to buy exactly what you want, as you do not own to the water's edge:
you own to the 'government take line," usually to a certain elevation.  If you
want a private boat dock, buy a house that has one; you will never be able to
add it later.  If you want grass mowed to the waters edge, be sure to buy it;
if you have large trees on the government land blocking your view of the lake,
you will never be able to trim them.  I don't know if the shoreline rules are
posted online for Table Rock, but they are for Bull Shoals lake (nearby and another you may wish to consider) and the rules are all similar:

http://www.swl.usace.army.mil/parks/bullshoals/pdf_files/shoreline.pdf

You might also want to consider Truman Lake, also a "Corp of Engineers"
lake with similar regs.

I chose Pomme de Terre lake, a much smaller lake (7,800 acres water vs.
50,000 + acres) located between Table Rock and Truman and bought
7.5 acres of land overlooking the lake and butting-up against the government
property with about 100 feet of woods between me and the water.
A county-maintained gravel road along one boundary line gives me
(and the public) "drive to the water's edge" access.  No way to have
a boat dock, but then I play with little home-made boats that i would not
leave in the water anyway.

I hold ownership of this land within one of my IRA accounts and maybe, someday, I will be able to retire to it.
I've been looking online at Kimberling City for the most part.  All I really want is a house with a view of hills or water, both would be nice.  Plan to boat, but I think a dock is just one more thing to mess with. Perhaps a community marina or good old trailer.
Could you give me a ballpark guess as to what the real estate tax would be on say $240,000?  Also the personal property tax is new to me, what would you guess a couple of vehicles (say 45,000 for the 2) and a boat valued at $20,000 would run?
I've noticed that there are several methods used for heat there, propane,  heat pump and one other I can't recall- - -Which do you think is the preferred system given the fact that we are facing some energy challenges?

Kitty said:
I have driven through Arkansas and Missouri several times. I have never had the time to stop and enjoy the area. Some of the things I like are the farms, small towns, and the looks of the land. I also like the lower taxes, lower cost of living four seasons and rural life style.
I am not an experienced farmer by any measure, but I love to garden, would like my own home flock of hens, raise a calf to beef and let my grand kids play in the barn and fish in the pond, ride a horse.
A long walk every day to the mail box with my dog would be a treat even when it is cold or steamy hot. I like the country wave when you pass someone on a rural road. If you know them and want to you stop right there and have a gab.  :D
The slower less hectic pace, less stress compared to urban life is something I want. I want to be around folks who do the same things I like; garden, raise animals, etc.

Kitty

You know Kitty, both versions of the proposed energy bill include requirements to expand the use of ethanal which ought to give a boost to farmers.  Perhaps you could grow corn for the cause.  I was going to suggest refining the stuff and putting a gas pump on your property, but then we'd be talking 7/11, holdups etc.  Bad idea.

JPatrick said:
You know Kitty, both versions of the proposed energy bill include requirements to expand the use of ethanal which ought to give a boost to farmers.  Perhaps you could grow corn for the cause.  I was going to suggest refining the stuff and putting a gas pump on your property, but then we'd be talking 7/11, holdups etc.  Bad idea.

I will leave that stuff to the big boyz. I don't plan to run to town all that much. I will keep a list on the Fridge and when I get low enough on supplies and long enough on errands I will go to the town that I can do most of the "stuff". Buy a big sluppy  for the trip home :D and be on the farm before dark so I can do chores in day light. These days one can do so much through the net that it will save me trips to town. 8)

As far as fuel goes to heat a home there in the Ozarks one uses either LP, electric, wood, or a combination. Outside wood furnaces are being used more and more, folks that have 'em like 'em and have LP as a back up in case it gets to cold to heat the house well.

I have lived in house using an LP fired furnace and it worked well, cooking with it is fine also-I like it better than electric.

In some places well water is problematic, bad taste or contaminated; rural water (water is piped from treatment plants)is common in some communities. Other places water is good or excellent.

Kitty

Kitty said:
I will leave that stuff to the big boyz. I don't plan to run to town all that much. I will keep a list on the Fridge and when I get low enough on supplies and long enough on errands I will go to the town that I can do most of the "stuff". Buy a big sluppy  for the trip home :D and be on the farm before dark so I can do chores in day light. These days one can do so much through the net that it will save me trips to town. 8)

As far as fuel goes to heat a home there in the Ozarks one uses either LP, electric, wood, or a combination. Outside wood furnaces are being used more and more, folks that have 'em like 'em and have LP as a back up in case it gets to cold to heat the house well.

I have lived in house using an LP fired furnace and it worked well, cooking with it is fine also-I like it better than electric.

In some places well water is problematic, bad taste or contaminated; rural water (water is piped from treatment plants)is common in some communities. Other places water is good or excellent.

Kitty

Your plan sure sounds good to me. I am not able to do much "choring"
otherwise, I would probably have bought a small ranch or farm.
Need to cut back on the "heavy lifting" now.

Re. well water, it's kind of a crap shoot. I used to live 10 miles
downstream and the (private) well water there was just awful (see my
pickle juice pancake post). Where we are now the well water is
excellent.

JG

MRGALT2U said:
Your plan sure sounds good to me.  I am not able to do much "choring"
otherwise, I would probably have bought a small ranch or farm.
Need to cut back on the "heavy lifting" now.

Re. well water, it's kind of a crap shoot.  I used to live 10 miles
downstream and the (private) well water there was just awful (see my
pickle juice pancake post).  Where we are now the well water is
excellent.

JG

I take it easy myself I use every back saving device I can. There is no point in putting yourself in pain just to say you did something.
I can't wait to hear my own hens cluck and the wind in the trees. Right up there with fresh from the garden corn and tomatoes.  :D
Kitty

JPatrick said:
I've been looking online at Kimberling City for the most part.  All I really want is a house with a view of hills or water, both would be nice.  Plan to boat, but I think a dock is just one more thing to mess with. Perhaps a community marina or good old trailer.
Could you give me a ballpark guess as to what the real estate tax would be on say $240,000?  Also the personal property tax is new to me, what would you guess a couple of vehicles (say 45,000 for the 2) and a boat valued at $20,000 would run?
I've noticed that there are several methods used for heat there, propane,  heat pump and one other I can't recall- - -Which do you think is the preferred system given the fact that we are facing some energy challenges?

You can find a "view of the hills" real cheap; a "view of the water" will cost more.

In fact, you can buy one heck of a hill view for $240,000.00, assuming you do not
need to be near civilization.

Kimberling is a fairly "upscale" area; something on the south shore would be
way cheaper, and further from the traffic, but Kimberling is not
far from the southern edge of Springfield, the 3rd largest city in Missouri,
and probably the best as well, if that matters.

Can't guess on real estate taxes; depends on county, school district, etc.
The taxes on my 7.6 acres of vacant land are $40.00/ yr

Personally property tax will probably be about $500.00 or so a year, unless
you go to the south shore in Arkansas; can't speak to Arkansas taxes.

Info on well regulations here:

http://www.schroederwaterwells.com/infoed.asp

Pay atteention to the "sensative area" map; wells cost more
in sensative areas.

Missouri Septic tank regs get more onerous if you have less than
3 acres; lots of places for sale with bad septic systems and not
enough ground to install a good one.

Plenty of marinas to "dock" a boat in on Table Rock, but not necessarily
cheap; some subdivisions have "community docks" that you can buy
a "slip" in, which saves you from having to pay someone to watch
your dock when you are out of town (Corp regulations require a local
registered "agent" who will be responsible for your private dock when
you are not there). Keep in mind that the water level on Table Rock
can vary over a range of, like, 30 feet or so.

If you "dock" your boat over in Arkansas, you may be required to register
it in Arkansas, and so you may avoid Missouri personal property tax on
it. Don't know if Arkansas charges personal property tax. Most states
require the boat to be registered in the state where the boat is; not the
state where the owner of the boat is.

Lots of Corp of Engineer boat ramps; most have a $3.00 launching
fee. Highway 13 public use area, @ Kimberling City, is supposed to
be the most heavily-used public use area on the lake.

You have probably seen this photo of the Highway 13 bridge @ Kimberling
City, after the new bridge was completed but before Table Rock Lake
was filled:

http://www.themessagetree.com/specialeditionfebphoto1.htm

Thanks capricious!  Lots of good info in your post. 
Life for a boater doesn't sound like it is all that simple, but I think I can cope.
I had no idea the lake level changed that much on table rock. Thats got to be a little bothersome for some dock owners.
Thats a very impressive picture of the two bridges.  Puts things in perspective.
I was checking out some view homes on realtor.com and found that most of them seem to be clinging to the side of a hill.  Impressive, but the first thing that came to mind was watching the view deck sliding down the hill after a freak rain. I guess most don't have far to slide, but when you are talking sliding 20 feet is not much different from 200 feet.
Thanks again for the info and websites. Hope to be there to kick some tires in August.

JPatrick said:
Thanks capricious!  Lots of good info in your post. 
Life for a boater doesn't sound like it is all that simple, but I think I can cope.
I had no idea the lake level changed that much on table rock. Thats got to be a little bothersome for some dock owners.
Thats a very impressive picture of the two bridges.  Puts things in perspective.
I was checking out some view homes on realtor.com and found that most of them seem to be clinging to the side of a hill.  Impressive, but the first thing that came to mind was watching the view deck sliding down the hill after a freak rain. I guess most don't have far to slide, but when you are talking sliding 20 feet is not much different from 200 feet.
Thanks again for the info and websites. Hope to be there to kick some tires in August.

We too just have to be on the water, and now own three (3) boats
which can be a problem (expense-wise). Anyway, earlier this year I bought
a small boat for my wife to use for fishing near our home. She can operate
it herself if she wishes. I also put in a small boat dock to tie it to.
Right now the dock and the boat are sitting on dry land (formerly
river bottom). As an old fishing buddy observed when his boat's
steering wheel fell off 2 miles out in Lake Michigan, "Ain't boating
grand?" :)

JG

Just a "quickie" re. "view of the water". When I bought the
Texas condo, I bought the only unit in our building with a water view.
I thought at the time this was very significant resale-wise.
My realtor agreed.

JG

capricious said:
Lots of Corp of Engineer boat ramps; most have a $3.00 launching fee.

Better deal is to buy an annual pass for $30 which allows you to use all Corps of Engineers ramps and day use areas in the country.

MRGALT2U said:
Just a "quickie" re. "view of the water".  When I bought the
Texas condo, I bought the only unit in our building with a water view.
I thought at the time this was very significant resale-wise.
My realtor agreed. 

JG

I agree with that.

Attachments

• retire here.jpg
    retire here.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 37
sailor said:
Better deal is to buy an annual pass for $30 which allows you to use all Corps of Engineers ramps and day use areas in the country.

Very true, but keep a couple of things in mind:

The fees generally apply to "improved' access areas:
sometimes there are Corp access areas with gravel
parking lots and no pit toilets and the fees do not
apply at those locations.

Also, state facilities (as opposed to Corp facilities) will
have a different fee schedule: for example, in Missouri
and Illinois you can launch at a state park for free whereas
you pay the fee at a Corp of Engineers ramp.

In Indiana, however, the state rips you a "new one" with all
of their various fees, and one is ahead to deal with the
Corp of Engineers in that case.

capricious said:
I agree with that.
Now that's what I'm talking about!
Living in that pickup could get a little cramped, but that lot is looking great 8)

Back
Top Bottom