Bad Spellers

T

TromboneAl

Sorry, I can't hold it in any more.

There are some really, REALLY bad spellers around here.

Snpellig is hghily orarevted. Sudties hvae swhon taht if teh fsirt and lsat ltteres of a wrod are in their pporer pclae we can understand the word.

Spelling is highly overrated. Studies have shown that if the first and last letters of a word are in their proper place we can understand the word.

TromboneAl said:

Thanks for sharing, Al, but if it's that much of a problem for you (and, yes, I believe that it is YOUR problem) then you should really consider a discussion board that includes a spell-checker.

And don't look at me-- I, personally, know how to use a spell-checker am too appreciative of Dory's & BMJ's efforts to complain about it...

What's next-- punctuation? Grammar?! Dangling participles & split infinitives?!?

Nords said:
Dangling participles

Hey...quit that filthy locker room talk right now mister.

And go drink a beer. Als just not that high strung. Theres a punchline coming...I'm sure of it...

With spellcheck now, who cares?  That's like saying, there's a bunch of people around here that can't do long division (if you knew that).   Or 99% of the population can't use a slide rule and gripping about it.

Does this forum not have spellcheck?  If not, what's up with that? (yeah i asked that in another thread too).

I'm with Al, it bugs me too.  Just not enough to say anything  :D

Now if I had a way to fix my transpositions that wasn't manual, I'd be happy.  

There is another site I visit that has spellcheck, but apparently most pepole don't use it....

Poor spelling:confused: That seems pretty far down on the list of issues with a lot of the posts on this board. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Did you here about the dyslexic who entered a spelling competition?

He came SALT.

Some of us do it deliberately and with malice aforethought.

Not to mention bad grammer also.

And I ain't going back to school or work!

So there.

Heh, heh, heh.

It's not that we are bad spellhers, its that it is hared to tipe wild holding the beer.

The reason is because it seams that the advise to use a spell checker won't fix all there mistakes.

Yes, I must say that I got VERY lazy the last few years with the spell check always there. I have been looking some words up in the dictionary, but maybe I've missed some things.

BTW, my name, Shiney although it seems to be a mis-spelled (misspelled?) form of Shiny, is really based on my initials/my nickname that my grandfather called me.

The Wikipedia entry on English spelling is interesting to read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_spelling

English has irregular and complicated rules for spelling, resulting in having to learn much by rote.

From the entry:

English spelling (or orthography), although largely phonemic, has more complicated rules than many other spelling system used by languages written in alphabetic scripts and contains many inconsistencies between spelling and pronunciation, necessitating rote learning for anyone learning to read or write English.

Throughout the history of the English language, these inconsistencies have gradually increased in number. There are a number of contributing factors. First, gradual changes in pronunciation, such as the Great Vowel Shift, account for many irregularities. Second, relatively recent loan words from other languages generally carry their original spellings, which are often not phonetic in English. Inconsistencies in the Romanization of languages using alphabets not derived from the Latin alphabet (e.g., Chinese) has further complicated this problem. Third, some prescriptionists have had partial success in their attempts to normalize the English language, forcing a change in spelling but not in pronunciation.

Maybe it is time to change the rules to make more sense.

Also from the Wikipedia entry:

It has been shown that regular alphabetic spelling systems make languages easier to learn. Indeed, the concept of learning "spelling" seems very strange to literate speakers of languages such as Finnish or Spanish, as those languages' spelling systems are extremely regular.

I grew up in a Finnish community. I can pronouce most any Finnish name by following this rule: Accent the first syllable and pronouce all the vowels.

I say it is not our fault for being bad spellers; it is the problem of having a language with a set of rules designed to trip up those who wish to join the ranks of the elite. How's that for a political response? :)

I agree.

And the whole system could be changed so that no one ever has to worry about spelling: just have one letter for every phonem. Every word is then spelled as it sounds.

Any board with a high % of engineers and analytical types will also have lots of poor spellers.  Some of us started with Dick and Jane readers, we figured it all out before phonics came back in vogue. 

Thank God for spell checkers.  When my draft posting looks bad - even to me - I paste it into a document and run it past a spell checker.

Some kind soul on this forum pointed us to a spellchecker extension
for Internet Explorer that checks spelling in "boxes" like this
one. Here is the link:

http://iespell.com

Cheers,

Charlie

Just testing out the iespell program. It works (told me iespell was misspelled), thanks for the link. Now if I could just find a program to eliminate my malapropisms, Al would be happy with me. :)

I am not a native English speaker and often see myself type a word I know must be wrong - but as long as the message gets through I do not really care..... :D

ben said:
I am not a native English speaker and often see myself type a word I know must be wrong - but as long as the message gets through I do not really care.....  :D

I am a native English speaker I still can't spell worth a darn. Although in my defense, I did grow up in Southern Illinois, bible belt country -- hundreds of miles from the nearest city. Spelling -- and even reading -- wasn't high on the list of abilities valued by the community. I'm sure I am among the worst offenders of poor spelling on these boards.

Sorry, Al. I'll try harder. :D :D :D

Having been brainwashed by years of public school and the University of Washington - long ago and far away - I actually used good spelling and proper grammer once apon a time.

Years of aerospace slang, practice and hard work can overcome a handicap like this - you don't have to live that way.

Webtv with a sticky keyboard was a great help. Avoid spell checker. Try some Cajun flipping of noun and verb positions for effect. Pick up a tad of internet slang. Practice some 9th ward New Orleans 'talk rite's.'

Stick with it - proper spelling and 'Good English' - can be eridicated in our time.

Back
Top Bottom