Give me your inspiration

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
As some of you know I am planning to retire in May of this year. For the others - I'm 50 with enough money and a job that is very easy and pays well. But, with all that I know working is not life... (see my quote below).
I've sold the house.
I've had all the medical test.
I've had all the dental work.

There are only two major items I have not done.
1. Fully invested my money the way I wanted - I'm waiting for the markets to comply with my wants. :LOL:
2. Given notice that I'm quiting.

I feel as if I am rock climbing; I can not see the next hand/foot hold to get going again. I'm comfortable and safe where I am on the rock face. I could stay here for months or years. I look below and see many who would like to be where I am. I fear giving up the position that I've worked so hard to obtain. I fear staying where I am and failing without reaching the summit. I can see the summit and know once I get to the top I will look back with a smile on my face for what I accomplished and the life I attained. I also know that what I saw as the summit is only the rim of a plateau. Another journey and will begin and other challenges will arise.

So what is your inspiration you would give a friend to move and RE?

I think you have to ask yourself. Are you happy?

What would you do if you were not working? - IOW - Is working keeping you from doing what you want?

If you don't know the answer, you are better off staying where you are.

Most of us here were so sick of the everyday grind that we were running for the door. - I like the freedom of not having to be anywhere everyday! :)

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
Let go of that rock.

We'll catch ya.

Swear!

:)

O.K. you take him, hell the winds caught him,
back off, I got him.

Oooops!

:D

dex said:

I'd tell my friend that if he didn't go ahead and pull the trigger he will miss out on a lot of living between now and the time (all too soon) the following will hit very close to home:

--- I feel like my body has gotten totally out of shape, so I got my doctor's permission to join a fitness club and start exercising. I decided to take an aerobics class for seniors. I bent, twisted, gyrated, jumped up and down, and perspired for an hour. But by the time I got my shorts and shoes on, the class was over.

--- Reporters interviewing a 104-year-old man: "And what do you think is
the best thing about being 104?" the reporter asked. He replied, "No peer pressure."

--- The nice thing about being senile is I can hide my own Easter eggs.

--- Just before the funeral services, the undertaker came up to the very elderly widow and asked, "How old was your husband?" "98," she replied. "Two years older than me." "So you're 96?" the undertaker commented. She responded, "Hardly worth going home, is it?

--- I've sure gotten old. I've had two bypass surgeries, a hip replacement, new knees. Fought prostate cancer and diabetes. I'm half blind, can't hear anything quieter than a jet engine, take 40 different medications that make me dizzy, winded, and subject to blackouts. Have bouts with dementia. Have poor circulation; hardly feel my hands and feet anymore. Can't remember if I'm 85 or 92. Have lost all my friends. But, thank God, I still have my driver's license.

--- An elderly man decided to prepare his will and told his attorney he had two final requests. First, he wanted to be cremated, and second, he wanted his ashes scattered over Home Depot. "Home Depot?" the attorney asked. "Why Home Depot?" "Then I'll be sure my sons visit me every week."

Do it NOW!!!

DEX:

I am in a very similar position to you. The money side is covered, The working life isn't too bad.

So I can really relate to what you posted.

You just have to ask yourself - "what is the best use of my time" ? Is it to keep working so that I can live larger ? Is it to quit working and get on with the next phase ? Are there big things that I want to do that work is preventing me from doing ?

For me, since work isn't so bad I think I'll keep on working away, at least for the near term. One thing that I really noticed is that as I approached and became FI my attitude changed alot about work. The boss wasn't such a jerk anymore. The co-workers were more tolerable. They weren't any different, It was my attitude that changed.

I've been all over the world so my wanderlust isn't all that high. I have almost all of the material things that I need and then quite a bit more. There are some retirement/medical incentives that induce me to stay but that's really not what's keeping me working. What I am concerned about would be to retire early and then be bored. I am concerned about being responsible for my own entertainment all day/ every day. Some people retire and then go home to sit around and die. I'm not quite ready for that yet.

One thing about work is that it gives people purpose. Although this concept may not be popular on this forum I believe it to be true. People need to find their little thing whether that is in work, or travel, or hobbies, or whatever. People need to have purpose in their lives.

- Good luck finding your thing, and good luck finding purpose in your life  ;)

In my case, the politics in management gives me all the inspiration I need to retire. Board members trying to buy out other board members, board voting based on who you work with therefore not necessarily whats best for the company........I'm just tired of it. A larger portfolio would be nice, but the crap that goes with it is just not worth it.   :p

Here is a list of reasons for retirement:
http://www.retirement-4-u.com/reasons.htm

* Our number one reason to retire is; spend more time with your family and friends.
* How about this! Reduce your stress – live longer and happier.
* Have more time for travel. See the world, experience different cultures, meet new friends.
* More time for your favorite hobby(s) like hiking, golfing, fishing, boating, etc…
* Spend more time in the garden.
* Sleeping in. I know, not a very productive reason to retire, but what-the-heck, you deserve it!
* Stay up late.
* Having the time to enjoy a good book.
* Kicking back and listening to your favorite music.
* Experience the saying, “Every day is Saturday.”
* Volunteer – use your wisdom and talents to help others.
* Be your own boss.
* Wouldn’t it be nice to not have to commute and fight the traffic anymore?
* Take up a new hobby.
* Start that second career - Work a new job that doesn’t pay much but “its something you have always wanted to do.”
* One of the biggest reasons to retire is having more time to do what you want to do.
* Explore new interests.
* Rediscover past interests.
* Start your second childhood.
* Spend more time doing healthy things – long walks, hikes in the parks and mountains.
* Get into politics – but only if you want to................
* Overall – do what you want, when you want

dex said:
1. Fully invested my money the way I wanted - I'm waiting for the markets to comply with my wants.

I'm doing the same thing, I don't think there is enough reward for the current risks.  I wish we'd just crash so I could move back to a balanced asset allocation.

I feel as if I am rock climbing; I can not see the next hand/foot hold to get going again.  I'm comfortable and safe where I am on the rock face.  I could stay here for months or years.  I look below and see many who would like to be where I am.  I fear giving up the position that I've worked so hard to obtain.  I fear staying where I am and failing without reaching the summit.   I can see the summit and know once I get to the top I will look back with a smile on my face for what I accomplished and the life I attained.  I also know that what I saw as the summit is only the rim of a plateau.  Another journey and will begin and other challenges will arise. 

It sounds like you are very goal oriented (I believe most of us on this board are).  I would list out the reasons why you want to retire and what you would do with your time.  You need to set new goals.

For me, I want to travel and I want my freedom.  If I discover that I don't like it once I get there, I can always go back to work doing something.  Once a person reaches FI they can afford to take risks; the opportunities are endless.  The great thing about FI is choosing to do things that give us joy as opposed to doing things that brings in money.

Keep us posted !

-helen

(edited for formatting)

MasterBlaster said:
DEX:

For me, since work isn't so bad I think I'll keep on working away, at least for the near term. One thing that I really noticed is that as I approached and became FI my attitude changed alot about work. The boss wasn't such a jerk anymore. The co-workers were more tolerable. They weren't any different, It was my attitude that changed.

- Good luck finding your thing, and good luck finding purpose in your life ;)

Thats the attitute I want...
looking forward to RED traffic light on the way to work rather than try to beat the light.

dex said:
There are only two major items I have not done.
1. Fully invested my money the way I wanted - I'm waiting for the markets to comply with my wants.  :LOL:
2. Given notice that I'm quiting.

I feel as if I am rock climbing; I can not see the next hand/foot hold to get going again.  I'm comfortable and safe where I am on the rock face.  I could stay here for months or years.  I look below and see many who would like to be where I am.  I fear giving up the position that I've worked so hard to obtain.  I fear staying where I am and failing without reaching the summit.

Congratulations, dex!  

Holy cow, if you had to see the destination before you left your starting point then it'd be a miracle that you made it this far.  You could "hang out" where you are until the storms blow you off the face or until your arms cramp up and you fall.  Or you could rig a sling, get comfortable, make yourself a snack, and rest up before you finish the climb.

We can't help you with the market timing.  I guess you're on your own there...

There's no need to file your notice until the last possible required moment.  One of the other ERs was mere days away from giving notice when he was laid off with severance & unemployment benefits, and you might get similar buyout offers out of the blue.

If you're planning to buy a house, it's probably better to make a leisurely move to your destination, rent for a few months, and buy when everyone else is desperate to sell-- for example in January.  It's not like when you were working and had to blow into town, start the new job, and squeeze the home search into the next few weekends.  You have plenty of time to get to know the area or to even decide that you'd rather be somewhere else.

It looks like you're doing great where you are.  Enjoy the view!

I agree with NORDS on waiting to give notice.  Keep your options open, publicly.  Some kind of financial windfall might be denied to you because you had applied, so don't burn any bridges.  But, in your mind, make the decision and then do it. You will have doubts (I did), but you will overcome them. Oh, and make a plan for the first six months. Something that will get you completely out of your present routine; a trip, a move, a hobby, something a little involved that will keep you busy.  Read Chapter 3 of Terhorst's book, "Cashing In On The American Dream". Terhorst's recap at the end of the chapter reads:  Make a to-do list; Remember that work was just talking on the phone; Go for responsible pleasure; Modify the work ethic; Live without guilt; and Do what you wish but you must do something.

Dex, I am in the same boat. DH retired in October. I am still working full time taking it day-by-day these days. My lunch bud at work keeps asking me daily when the heck I am going to retire. Not sure what is holding me back -- so I keep plugging along until I know in my heart to give notice. My husband is supportive of me to jump ship and join him. Must be a process to finally say 'enough is enough.'

Cut-Throat said:
I think you have to ask yourself. Are you happy?
What would you do if you were not working? - IOW - Is working keeping you from doing what you want?
If you don't know the answer, you are better off staying where you are.
Most of us here were so sick of the everyday grind that we were running for the door. - I like the freedom of not having to be anywhere everyday! :)

Thanks all for the comments. I was hoping for that one phrase or story that would move me to take action. There is still time. When I read the post about someone dying who is younger or a bit older than me I think that is it I'm going to do it.

Inspiration......!!!!!!:confused:?

While Cut-Throat's advise is not inspirational; it does lead me to another aspect of myself - we all have plenty.
Are you happy? - no - I do have a high threshold for unhappiness and pain. I grew up poor and in a disfunctional/divioreced family so I'm not sure I would recognise happiness or expect it. That sounds strange as I write it. (Let's not have any comments about depression; if that was the issue I it would encompass my whole life.)

It is more that I know we only have one life and as Threau said "The mass of men live lives of quite desperation." I don't have to live that life.

This make me think that we all live in prisons of our own making - who said that?

Nords,
I haven't given a definate date but it is either this summer or next spring - I don't like the winter.

Dex,
I'm afraid you're looking for the magic words that just aren't there. I feel the same as you in a lot of ways. For a long time ER was just a "young dreamers" indefinite thing for me. Over the past year or so, it's become closer and closer to reality. Now that I'm actually in shouting distance, it's very confusing.

Part of me is saying WOOOHHOOO. The other part of me is saying, What the HECK are you thinking?? You can't just QUIT!!!! Are you out of your mind:confused:

I am letting the S.O. go first - he's older. Once I see how much fun he's having it will probably be easier.

Dex,

DW has 18 more months to her pension and medical so we both continue to work. I have moved sideways in my career to remain employed but with less total responsibility and stress. That has not worked out as well as I planned but is better now than a couple of years ago.

Knowing I can leave whenever I want to is liberating. I can handle the BS levels easier and stress and mis management of the business rolls off my back like a duck. I do the minimum it takes to get the job done but some days that is even a lot. Other times it is not so bad........so I continue to cash the checks they give me while building my FIRE accounts paying off debts and helping out the kids.

Inspiration to quit will come and when it does you will know when it is time. I ER'd once already and I knew it was time for me to go. The current job is a bridge to a second ER. I may have several more before I am done but each job from now on will be because I want to do it; not because I have to do it.

We are looking at starting a small business next year and if it looks do-able will run that for a few years and see how it goes but the goal is still to only do what we want to do. We don't need the money so there is a lot less stress to work 24/7 and our kids want to help out with it too so someday they mght take it over....who knows?

Don't over stress on when to get out. Do what you feel you want to do and when you want to. You will know when it is time.

I'd listen to Spanky. There are planty of reasons to retire. Pick one, or come up with a new one. If you can do it financially, and you don't need the job for other, emotional etc, reasons, I'd hit the road.

Back
Top Bottom