Can You Waste Money?

boont

Recycles dryer sheets
Let's say that your crazy rich uncle slipped you 10 to 15 grand with the proviso that you had to waste it. I had an uncle like this and he would demand that I not save it but spend it on something.

Of course this was years ago and not that much money, more like a couple of thousand, but to update for inflation lets use a bigger number.

What would you waste it on? I know this is a difficult assignment for some but try.

boont

Myself and DW tend to limit each other whenever we feel like splashing out, but if we were given 10 - 15K that we had to spend then I think it would be on vacations. We love going away to exotic and/or interesting places so I guess that is what we would do.

If if it was me only, I would spend about 95% of it on wine, women and song, then think of something frivolous to spend the rest on.

I would go away to a SPA and get lots of massages, pedicures and other wonderful treatments. I admit though...I usually save any extra money that comes my way.

boont said:
What would you waste it on? I know this is a difficult assignment for some but try.
How about a tax-deductible charitable donation?

I'm sure all of us can scheme up ways to invest by spending, like buying needed home improvements.

But I would have to say I would travel if I had to blow it in a big hurrah.

Unfortunately, this is kind of what I expected, we can't splurge, my self included. Not sure if that is good.

Blowing money is not in my nature. Can't seem to do it.

I am certainly not saying that wasting money is a good thing. However, I seek balance and when I can't even imagine how to dump a little money I get worried.

What would I do? About four years ago I found a ghetto kid that I could sponsor. I thought it was a big brother deal. But it turned out to be something else.

He had family but was failing in school so the wife and I threw some money at that.

Not the wasting money that I was trying for but the best I could do given my background.

boont

I could do it. I could spend it. :D For example, I have a loose diamond that I would find a match to it and set them into a pair of beautiful earrings. I would treat the family to a really, really nice vacation. I guess I would be kind of selfish with it but I wouldn't feel guilty about it. We already help out those in need throughtout the year by using our budget money to do so.

I'd have a new deck installed. But if I were really going to have fun with it, I'd take a nice overseas vacation.

Given the proviso was that you had to spend it to get it, it would be an exotic vacation at a 5 star resort for my family for 2-3 weeks and electronic toys with what is left over.

Nothing wrong with self-indulgence.

I'd probably use it as a downpayment on a chunk of country property (land) or a second hand RV. Could easily blow it.

If I have to totally blow it, it would be on vacations. DW and I love travel, it's how we spend and plan to spend all our fun money. Rolex etc. holds no interest to me. If I could sneak an investment in like Brewer, I would think property or home improvements.

6 custom made suits, 2 overcoats and a dozen custom shirts.

If necessary one of each purchased at a good store on sale will serve the purpose.

when i didn't have much money i could easily have fulfilled crazy uncle's requirements. but frankly, now, since i've already inherited from crazy rich uncle, he's gonna have to up the ante so i can get that maserati i have my wasteful eye on.

Attachments

• spyder.jpg
    spyder.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 174
  • spyder.jpg_thumb
    34.7 KB · Views: 0
This sounds like a scaled down version of Brewster's Millions with Richard Pryor. Anyway, I think I would go to Greece with the money. Been there before and absolutely loved the country. Much nicer than Macedonia and with no war. 8)

Nice month-long vacation somewhere. Or a new car.

Ah, so...Japan...views of mt Fuiji and cherry blossoms, traditional country inns, silk kimonos, kobe beef and squeaky-fresh sushi, cold soba noodles with shredded seaweed and edamame, Japanese language lessons and cooking classes...can I go now?!

Yes, when I've relied on my investment skills. :-\
Travel, new cars, expensive dinners and wine can be a waste of money, when they weren't worth anywhere their cost.

Used Harley ... bought right, wouldn't be an investment, but depreciation wouldn't be bad. Loads of chrome, and fun.

Let me count the ways: a new used pickup truck, travel, remodeling ( high class Sauna or something like that), etc. etc.

How about a period of fasting - following by an eating tour of New Orleans?

heh heh heh heh heh

unclemick2 said:
How about a period of fasting - following by an eating tour of New Orleans?

heh heh heh heh heh

Sounds like a wash to me. ;)

Eagle43,
if it's the real deal Thai body massage, you could get about 300 or so in Bangkok.

But I doubt you would live past the 150th. A very pleasureable way to go though.

Back
Top Bottom