Part time w*rk with medical insurance.

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Any ideas of employers offering medical insurance to part timers , even if employee pays most of the cost ? 

Could not find any recent posts on this subject.

Any advise is apreciated  :).

Off the top of my head, I know Costco and Starbucks both offer benefits to part timers. No doubt there are others...

I saw a TV show saying Starbucks offers full bennies starting at 20 hours a week. Part of the reason a cup if coffee there costs so much.

Bimmerbill said:
I saw a TV show saying Starbucks offers full bennies starting at 20 hours a week.
Yes, but every day you work there you have to wake up and smell the coffee...

Starbucks offers full bennies

The term "full benefits" is often bandied about as if everyone listening knows exactly what it means. Here's a message for you: everyone has a different idea what "full" means.

I used to work in the employee benefits arena and this term was the most misunderstood of them all. The employers all understand whet it means as they negotiated the plan and are paying dearly for it but most employees and prospective employees usually have a much different idea what "full" means.

To an employer, "full" may include vacation, holidays, flex time, casual dress code, reduced fee parking, sick pay, discount on employee purchases, casual Fridays and other "non cost" items. 

To most employees these items are not benefits.  Benefits are no-cost health insurance/Rx benefits, free group life insurance, employer match 401(k), pension plan, LTD benefits that employer pays or heavily subsidsed, etc.

We all understand what "full" means when we eat a Thanksgiving meal at grandam's house, but few of us will agree with the meaning of the word when it refers to employee benefits.

I thought I'd overused that line, but Martha deleted the last couple of posts where I used it... :-X

There's been some stuff online about Starbucks. While they do provide health insurance for those who work 20 hours or more, some former and current employees report that many managers make sure that workers are usually not scheduled for 20 hours. Managers are evaluated on the bottom line and naturally there are profits when less health insurance is paid, so many managers will make sure they schedule workers 19 hours or less so they don't receive health insurance.....

Starbucks allows part timers who work 20 hours a week to get health insurance, but I understand that the employees have to pay the full cost.

Have you looked at what your current employer offers. I know many have reported being able to drop down to 50-60% time and still get full health insurance benefits. Seems better getting a professional wage for part time work rather than a retail job :-\

I am now working 21 hours a week. I get to be in the group plan, but while for full time employees the company pays 75% of their premium, they only pay 37.5 of mine. It is still a good deal and one of the reasons I went back to work part time. A group policy was far cheaper than what I could get as and individual policy and I have some pre existing conditions that an individual policy pernamently disallowed. This way those things are covered.

UPS too, I believe only 20 hours a week to qualifiy.

Vic

If you're seriously looking for w*rk, do consider the physical requirements for some of these j*bs  ... UPS's Web site says its part-time package handlers are expected to move/lift packages up to 70 lbs.
   Had a friend who worked at one of their hubs -- when the planes and trucks came in, they had a very short time to get everything off the line and sorted ...  not exactly the place for someone with back problems... 

You could look into Citigroup. Their handbook says >= 20hours/week is benefits eligible.

Maddy the Turbo Beagle said:
Have you looked at what your current employer offers. I know many have reported being able to drop down to 50-60% time and still get full health insurance benefits. Seems better getting a professional wage for part time work rather than a retail job :-\

A few years back the municipality I work for had a 4 day 36 hour option, hour for hour reduction in pay and every friday off, with full benefits , no reduction in retirement credits.

Wow , Great ! , I submitted the paperwork. 8)

First level management sent me up one level for a "Chat" with middle management :confused:

I was told the short week was to reduce the cost of worthless employees who could not be fired, and I would not be granted the request.  :eek:  He also tore-up the form in front of me. I could have complained , but I pick my battles carefully :-X

Maybe if the offer comes up again , I may strive to meet management's criteria !

Lakewood90712 said:
A few years back the municipality I work for had a 4 day 36 hour option, hour for hour reduction in pay and every friday off, with full benefits , no reduction in retirement credits.
Hawaii tried a similar system for its police officers. It was a combination of 3-4-day workweeks for the rank & file, mostly in response to the threat of those unscrupulous recruiters from Washington state who kept luring away Hawaii's finest with offers of more money & cheap living.

But the concept was scrapped this year, apparently for their own good and for the public's benefit.

"Police spokeswoman Michelle Yu said that when an officer is off four days a week, 'their ability to respond to a follow-up or a request from the public' is delayed. Also, police chief Correa said 10- or 12-hour days can leave officers fatigued and 'not as alert as they should be,' potentially putting themselves and others in danger. In at least one instance, he said, fatigue contributed to a car accident involving an officer. 'We know we have the best officers in the best department, but we have to maintain our relationship with the community,' Correa said.

In a seemingly unrelated story, the Navy's submarine force says it sees no end of opportunities for its submariners to continue to suck up their 12-hour days. "It's a target-rich environment!" one retention spokesman was quoted as saying with satisfaction...

I was told the short week was to reduce the cost of worthless employees who could not be fired, and I would not be granted the request. He also tore-up the form in front of me. I could have complained , but I pick my battles carefully

hmmm, interesting motivational talk :LOL:

Maddy the Turbo Beagle said:
hmmm, interesting motivational talk :LOL:

Later , one of the seinor clerical staff members , (you know, the ones who know where all the bones are buried)  took me aside and told me the "Motivational talk" was not out of malice, and it was because they expected me to be" moving up soon". I always learn how things work, sometimes a little late.

Most of the jobs listed are those which most FIRED folk would not want to do. I really do not see myself working in Home Depot, a Supermarket, or UPS for 21 hours a week for healthcare. May as well be back at work full time doing a job one enjoys. This implies I do not enjoy shelf stacing or lugging around parcels. Now if I could get a nice gig doing something I like to do for 20 hours a week that may be a solution.

JMHO

SWR

Lakewood90712 said:
told me the "Motivational talk" was not out of malice, and it was because they expected me to be" moving up soon".
"Please don't sue us"...

ShokWaveRider said:
Most of the jobs listed are those which most FIRED folk would not want to do. I really do not see myself working in Home Depot, a Supermarket, or UPS for 21 hours a week for healthcare.  May as well be back at work full time doing a job one enjoys. This implies I do not enjoy shelf stacing or lugging around parcels. Now if I could get a nice gig doing something I like to do for 20 hours a wekk that may be a solution.

JMHO

SWR
If I could just find a private employer who would let me work low hours , I would not mind paying 100% of the group rate for insurance.  $300-$400 is ok $650 for the california guranteed issue coverage is just too high.

Maybe if I started a business and only hired young healthy people and got a group plan , uh oh , I guess that's good business illegal .

Another thing I am thinking about , is getting a high deductable policy in a state that allows exclusions for pre existing conditions, and travel for medical care if something big happens. It appears that coverage is much easier to get in a state that allows the exclusions. I'm ok with the risk on my known broken parts .

This thread is a reminder of how lucky I am. I am working 60 to 80 hours a month (in months when I am working) and I am able to be covered by our health insurance plan at a relatively small cost to me. Sometimes <gasp> working isn't so bad!

Back
Top Bottom