Ringing.......Help?

Sheryl said:
Report from my partner's doctor visit. Is loss is in the high-frequency range, and there is a hearing aid available that will help - for $4,000.
I have Resound Air hearing aids that cost in that neighborhood for the pair. I recently read an article about a version Costco is offering that sounds very similar for half that. Costco are good guys - the Ben and Jerry's of discount. I would first check them out before I would go for another ultra-high priced hearing aid.

I've had the condition for 30 years. I have found the best way to deal with it is to ignore it. I consider it only a very minor inconvenience.

I have found the best way to deal with it is to ignore it
I have found the best way to deal with it is to ignore it pick up the phone. (very sorry!)

d said:
I have found the best way to deal with it is to ignore it pick up the phone. (very sorry!)
There always has to be a wise guy... :LOL:

IMHO 90% of all hearing aids are simply audio amplifiers. If you can afford tousands of dollars for something that will STILL wind up in your sock drawer in a few months, go for it. Otherwise spend a few hundred bucks on a Ebay cheapie and hear what you've been missing. I did. No buyers remorse here.

Mine started a couple of years ago after a really nasty throat infection. It got into my ear and killed off some of the cochlea hair cells. I have high to mid-high frequency loss of over 50% in the same ear and a loud high frequency series of tones that is pretty much constant all day and night...it never stops.

My ENT says there is no cure and I believe him based on all the research I have done on the topic. He did suggest that sometimes the hair cells that are stuck in the "on" position can be tired out by listening to white sounds that include a wide spectrum of sound in and around the same pitch as the ear tones. I have a number CDs I have recorded on my Ipod. The sounds are like wind, serf, rain, streams, and some acustical music. I don't know how well it helps but so far is is no worse (and yes I do listen at moderate volumes).

Caffeen makes it louder. Some TV shows with a too loud backround music (most of them) all sound shrill after a short time and I have to change the channel. A fever makes it louder too. Too much aspirin, too much alcohol. Being in crowds of noisy people also make the tone more shrill. Something about the collective noise of many many people talking on cell phones etc. seems to do it.

Good luck and if you find a cure let us know.

Had it, too, for years. It was worse when I had a bout of 'sudden deafness' ear infection brought on by some bad flight/cold combinations once on the way to Tokyo. When I think o f how my ears would ring after any high school dance or college party or rock concert now I cringe.

The hindus say it is actually the sound of the universe humming, so maybe just listen to it and see if you agree. Otherwise it is also known to drown out inconvenient yammering from spouses and young children. "Excuse me, I didn't hear you' is now my most commonly spoken sentence when I realize someone is expecting an answer from me.

Not to make light of it -- if it's really loud it can become a real pain. I did have acupuncture for it years ago and it did seem to help, but that's real anecdotal.

LIke you, I lost some hearing through shooting, without hearing protection. I was told that the tone of ringing that you hear is the tone / pitch you no longer hear.

Based on the responses here, tinitus must be universal. We should have a poll to find out how many DON'T have it.

From the responses on this forum it seems to be something that more men than women seem to be afflicted with.

I wonder if some people who say they don't have it, just haven't noticed it. I can go a long time without noticing or paying attention to it, but it's always there.

Of course everytime I read this thread it gets me listening to the ringing. I stop counting after about 200 concerts and many other live performances.
They do make maskers . A hearing aid that does a noise that supposedly helps cover the ringing. I have concidered it as well as a regular hearing aid for my hearing loss.
http://www.hearusa.com/hearing/index.asp?m=1&sb=004&p=003

as mentioned earlier: if you hear ringing, pick up the phone; but if you hear voices, there's no need to.

What always gets me is days like today when the ringing is lower. Makes me wonder what I did different....
Of course I had forget it was there did I saw this thread again.

Back
Top Bottom