Outsourcing

OH YEA... where have you been.. (I did not read the article... yet..)

Our company has sent a lot of our finace overseas.... it is what they like to call a double dip..

The finance guys are able to work during the day over in India.. run the GL, AP, etc... when it would normally run overnight here... and they sit in the same seats that the call center people will occupy when they come in a night, which is daytime over here...

Only half the cost for real estate!!

I didn't read the article, but did it quote "The Earth is Flat" by Friedman? That was required reading in my MBA program. Basically you need to be irreplaceable (Michael Jordan), immovable (plumber), or continuously improving to avoid the situation of your job getting outsourced.

2Cor521

SecondCor521 said:
I didn't read the article, but did it quote "The Earth is Flat" by Friedman? That was required reading in my MBA program. Basically you need to be irreplaceable (Michael Jordan), immovable (plumber), or continuously improving to avoid the situation of your job getting outsourced.

2Cor521

Which means that most in the U.S.A. will not be - and hence there goes the middle class!

SecondCor521 said:

2Cor521

Well plumbers are definitely immovable...every time I call them they *never* even get off their @ss to come to my house :LOL:

yes, plumbers, electricians, doctors and nurses, jobs that can't be outsourced. of course doctors don't make as much anymore thanks to hmos. the middle class is disappearing and anyone who thinks they can depend on social security is a fool. so sad what is happening to the world. slavery is alive and well, it just changed its cover a bit.

newyorklady said:
and anyone who thinks they can depend on social security is a fool.

I don't think so. - I heard people say this exact same thing in the late 1970's that have been drawing SS for 10 years now. We live in a Democracy and Bush Jr. found out even in his hard core 'Red States' that this was a third rail in American Politics.

Actually S.S. is pretty easy to keep solvent. Just a few minor tweaks. The Nations Healthcare? - That is a real can of worms!

Corporateburnout said:
Ok I know that manufacturing and software jobs have been moving overseas for sometime but HR and financial audit..............

http://www.boston.com/business/glob...utsourcing_expands_to_cover_all_but_the_core/

I'm really in favor of HR being outsourced because these were the people always have the stats saying how we should move jobs overseas (when I (a) cared and (b) had a significant management position).

In the future some SOB I would have just of soon cut up and fed down my garbage disposal will not only not be able to speak coherent English but will also be on a conference call that I can accidently disconnect. That's not as good as the disposal but I guess it would work.

Of course, I will never be a significant manager again so it really doesn't matter.

Note to forum: If there are any former VPs of HR that are currently in Chapter 11, living on earthworms and their spouses have left them for younger, better looking replacements, I am really not sorry for you.

2B said:
Note to forum: If there are any former VPs of HR that are currently in Chapter 11, living on earthworms and their spouses have left them for younger, better looking replacements, I am really not sorry for you.

2B.... I can't quite figure out what you are saying.... stop beating around the bush and tell us what you REALLY THINK.... :LOL:

2B said:
. . . Note to forum: If there are any former VPs of HR that are currently in Chapter 11, living on earthworms and their spouses have left them for younger, better looking replacements, I am really not sorry for you.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

My own rule of thumb is this:

If you don’t have to touch someone (dentist, physical therapist, for example) or something (for example, air conditioner repairman, plumber, etc) that is located in the states, that job can be offshored.

Also, for information technology jobs, the last I heard was that the cost of offshored labor was approximately one fifth to one quarter of the cost of American labor.

John

SecondCor521 said:
...Basically you need to be irreplaceable (Michael Jordan), immovable (plumber), or continuously improving to avoid the situation of your job getting outsourced. 2Cor521

Actually... I'm using the "save like there's no tomorrow" method.

Here's to hoping that it works. Working in Finance... and keeping my fingers crossed.

I've been in manufacturing for most of my career and we still manufacture in the US but not for long. We have started to look offshore and I'm hoping the transition will take 3 years or so.....Meanwhile the strategy is to max out 401K IRAs taxable contributions and hope for the best.

Corporateburnout said:
I've been in manufacturing for most of my career and we still manufacture in the US but not for long. We have started to look offshore and I'm hoping the transition will take 3 years or so.....Meanwhile the strategy is to max out 401K IRAs taxable contributions and hope for the best.

From what I have seen and read (and I have not checked this out)... the US manufactures more than it ever had... the difference is that there are a lot more machines involved and the productivity of the people are a lot higher.. therefore, the total employment is down drastically!!!

johnlw said:
If you don’t have to touch someone (dentist, physical therapist, for example) or something (for example, air conditioner repairman, plumber, etc) that is located in the states, that job can be offshored.
And there has to be an economic component in there as well as in the offshoring can be done on an aggregate cost basis for less money then to keep it here.
Having said all that, then why oh why can we not offshore the Politicians jobs, and gain some efficiencies and cost reductions - oh yeah, cause they mandated that they have to be physically located in their district. We thought that was a ploy for empathy with the electorate - turns out it was the best way to avoid losing their job. Perhaps that should be a contract mandate for future negotiations, to avoid that risk of being offshored. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Back
Top Bottom