I had to put my dog down

Helen

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
on Saturday. I was so hard. Lucy was a Great Dane that my partner and I adopted from the pound five years ago. She was either 9 or 10 which is old in Dane years. She was a sweet and beautiful girl.

We lost our other Dane a little over a year ago. It's so heartbreaking to lose a pet.

We have a 6 - 8 year old spaniel mix and we aren't going to adopt any more dogs. We have six years till we retire and we want to be able to travel. It's going to be hard not to get another.

Helen,
Very sorry to hear about Lucy. Even when you know puting an animal to sleep is the right thing to do, it is very tough.

I am so sorry for your loss. Pets are family. I can't imagine life without dogs.

Sorry for your loss Helen. I know how painfull it is to put a pet down.

DW and I put our Shihtzu down in Nov. and DW still cry's often over the loss. I have a hard time getting another one because it is so hard to say goodbye. I think I'll wait a little while longer when I think I'll go before the pet.

Helen,

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Our "Fur Kids" love us unconditionally and we become so attached to them. The fill a part of our lives that nothing else seems to touch.

i sometimes stumble over a few words to be polite or out of a sense of obligation but inside i feel there is never quite anything i can offer in condolence. such loss is so personal. any words or deeds of mine might temporarily divert or mask the pain. but only time can bring you peace.

Helen, I'm so sorry about Lucy, my heart breaks for you.

Their lives are so short.

It's always painful.

I am sorry to hear that but you did the best thing.

I'm so sorry, Helen. We had to do the same for our cat and the one we have left means so much to us. It's very hard to lose them.

Helen,

Sorry for you loss. There are many pet lovers here and we know how hard it is. Each one has their own personality and each one fills a unique spot in our lives and when gone is dearly missed.

You may know that we went through this 2 months ago with our dear Sophie. It aches bad.

Condolences, and don't hold back your grief - it's not "just" a dog.

Helen.. so sorry for your loss. Can't imagine what will happen when Oscar leaves us--he's the first dog I've ever had and the only pet in my adult life..

I agree with Chris wholeheartedly. You could make some middle-aged pooch really happy and I'm sure giving him/her a second chance with a loving family for a few years would make the house feel less empty in the meantime.

Big hug & a kiss.. :-* take care.

Helen, I'm sorry. Give your other dog some extra loving today!

Helen, you have my sincerest condolences. I know how it feels to lose a friend like that. As Rich said, Lucy was NOT “just” a dog.

I don’t believe in this rainbow bridge crap at all, but every time I read it I feel better and cry at the same time.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

very sorry for you, Helen

my dog's getting kinda old, and already I wonder how we will cope when his time has come.

Aside from the pesky decision of whether I'll need to change my username after he goes...

I am sorry for your loss. It is definitely not easy. Remember the good times.

I wanted you to know you're in my thoughts...I'm sorry for your loss! :'(

Helen, I'm so sorry about losing your beloved Lucy. My Charlie died four years ago and I think about him every day. Take care. -kate

Rich_in_Tampa said:
... it's not "just" a dog...

Absolutely not! Somebody else said it best, "our furry kids". I grieve for you, Helen. I'm seconding Chris and ladelfina, pound puppies are eternally grateful, especially the middle aged ones that nobody wants 'cause they aren't cute little puppies.

I got my dog 6 years ago and she is the first one I have owned since I was a teenager. I sure hate the thought of having to put her down one day. Sorry for your lost.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom