Health Insurance, yet again (Martha are you out there?)

Sheryl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm sorry. Although I'm sure there is one, I couldn't find a relatively recent thread, so I'm starting a new one.

Last week I found out our really good group plan at work is increasing cost by about 13%. We can't keep paying this. Since I have the most at stake, I've been tasked with researching the options.

The plan that appears to be the best would involve changing carriers. It also requires that everyone fill out a health questionaire.

I have recently had some serious health issues that would send up lots of red flags with underwriters.

My concerns are:

1. Even though they claim the form will stay within the underwriting company only, I fear my health issues would be put into the national insurance database, screwing me forever. (Or is my info already there, from my current company?)

2. My issues may drive up the cost of the plan to the point where we might just as well have stayed with the old one - but we won't know until I fill out the form.

3. Our current plan is covered by COBRA. (We are less than 50 employees, but are part of a larger group). The new one would not be (because we would be our own "group;"). WA law says that if you exhaust COBRA, companies must offer you an individual plan without Health Screening. I don't know if this policy would apply to the alternative plan. The languange from the state seems to imply this, but I'm not SURE.

I'm freaking out about this, as my future insurability for the rest of my life seems at stake. (Yes there is always the state high risk pool, but I've heard it stinks).

Any advice from those who know about these issues would be welcome!

Back
Top Bottom