Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Recreational - less than 3 months/yr

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Interested - thinking about buying one in the next year

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Not for me

Votes: 23 35.4%

• Total voters
Cool thread - great idea Dex - I'm in the "interested" catagory, and very interested to see what everyone has. I know I have RV envy of both Martha and Rich. ;)

We're fulltime RVers, and have been so for nearly fifteen years now. It's hard to even remember what it felt like to have a fixed base home.....until we visit friends with houses and see how much work they are! ;-)

Dex, I'm not sure if I fit in any of your categories.

We have a 25' 1999 Mobile Scout travel trailer that I bought used two years ago. We've only taken it to a state park once, deciding instead to lease a spot on the banks of the Guadalupe river and keep it there basically full time. We share the cost of the RV site with our kids and use it for a family gathering place.

That arrangement has been great, but I'm growing itchy feet. When (and if) DW decides she doesn't have to personally attend to the daycare requirements of my three grandsons, I hope to buy a pre-owned Class B or C and do some traveling. I don't think I'll be able to convince DW to stay on the road more than a couple of weeks at a time, but hope springs eternal. :)

We camp in a 5th Wheel trailer. It has a bunkroom in the back with 4 beds and TV for our daughter and friends. It has 2 slide-outs. One in the living room and one in the master in front.

Pulling our summer home behind us this year will allow us to see Custer State Park in SD along with Mt. Rushmore, Glacier Nat'l Park in Montana and Yellowstone in Wyoming.

Going to Myrtle Beach, SC on Saturday for a week. :D

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b86/ijuba75/Sara/camping10-05001.jpg

For 2007, our goal is to be away from our stick built house at least 200 nights. Through today we are at 70 out of a possible 85, not too bad to start out the year.
We still travel by air on occasion and we dont always stay in our motorhome, 12 of those were spent in hotels ie...Key West, San Antonio and South Padre Island.

Dave

Might consider a used class B when we retire... but that is still several years away.

My wife and I are planning ahead - We think we'd like to buy a used RV and hit the road for a while after we retire. But there are a couple of things we're wondering about.....

We like to exercise - bike, hike, swim, weights, etc. So we wonder if driving endless hours tooling around the great areas of the US will make us feel twitchy about not getting a good sweat-session in every day? Anyone here else like to keep fit, but also have a sense of wanderlust?

Also, we are thinking of a Class B/B+ RV because it's so easy to deal with for the 2 of us. If we don't want to tow a car behind it, what are other people's experiences with using a motorcycle, bike, etc. to tool around after you've set up a longish-term camp not real close to any town? Do you have to break camp and run around in the RV, and then reset everything up again when you get back? We might or might not be towing a small closed trailer for our bikes and backpacking gear and other stuff, so should we plan on putting an open-air motor scooter rack on a back-end of the RV?

cfcf said:
We like to exercise - bike, hike, swim, weights, etc. So we wonder if driving endless hours tooling around the great areas of the US will make us feel twitchy about not getting a good sweat-session in every day? Anyone here else like to keep fit, but also have a sense of wanderlust?

If we don't want to tow a car behind it, what are other people's experiences with using a motorcycle, bike, etc. to tool around after you've set up a longish-term camp not real close to any town? Do you have to break camp and run around in the RV, and then reset everything up again when you get back? We might or might not be towing a small closed trailer for our bikes and backpacking gear and other stuff, so should we plan on putting an open-air motor scooter rack on a back-end of the RV?

I jog routinely when we camp. In fact, it is a pleasure - usually on paved or at least gravel roads deep in nature. As to resistance exercise, weights would obviously be impractical but the various "big rubber band" devices could serve well for toning and moderate resistance stuff.

As for local transportation, one of the great things about a well-designed class B (mine is a Sprinter) is that it doubles as a car even in the city. It takes about 5 minutes to unplug the electric and hose, maybe take down the awning it if happened to be up, and drive away. Bikes are great for in-park transportation.

Class B's are small even when well-designed. But to be able to simply hop on and drive away in and out all day with little fuss, they really shine. We did all of Charleston, St. Augustine and other pretty congested places in our B, including parking in public lots or on streets. Run into town for a nice dinner, drive back to the park, plug it in again and you're done.

In our first year of ER, we had plans to buy a truck camper. I needed a truck anyway, and I liked the idea of being able to leave the camper behind on jacks when we weren't using it.

Wifey decided she didn't like any of the camper bathrooms or the idea of a short shower. So, that ended our short-lived RV fantasy. No regrets. The truck still comes in handy. :)

Not sure if the poll is meant for me to answer. Probably not, as we are campers, not RVers. My trailer is nothing more than a tent off the ground and a shelter from the rain and cold.....nothing more. Now that the boys are 8 and 10, I've introduced them to more realistic camping.....backpack into the woods.

But we will take the trailer on several trips each year, usually one long 3 week trip out into the Midwest from PA.

RE2Boys

chinaco said:
Might consider a used class B when we retire... but that is still several years away.

I am the same... no answer for me in the poll.... a few years away..

We are just starting out in the RV world. Who knows how much time we will spend on the road? With kids and grandkids very nearby it makes it hard to get away for long periods. If we really like it we may snowbird this winter to see how we do for that long in such close quarters.

Here is a link to the newer models of our coach.

http://www.bornfreemotorcoach.com/products.php?id=14

Back
Top Bottom