Why not me?

Caroline

Full time employment: Posting here.
I just got a flyer in the mail from Pacific Gas and Electric. It offers humongous rebates for switching to a more energy-efficient washer, dryer, fridge, air conditioner, etc. etc.

But... what about me?

I already HAVE an efficient washer, I use a radical new invention called a "clothesline" to dry with, and I don't have an airconditioner, though there's a month every year in this town when I could sure use one.

Shouldn't there be some incentive to not have these things at all? Or am I wrong-headed here?

Caroline said:
I just got a flyer in the mail from Pacific Gas and Electric. It offers humongous rebates for switching to a more energy-efficient washer, dryer, fridge, air conditioner, etc. etc.

But... what about me?

I already HAVE an efficient washer, I use a radical new invention called a "clothesline" to dry with, and I don't have an airconditioner, though there's a month every year in this town when I could sure use one.

Shouldn't there be some incentive to not have these things at all? Or am I wrong-headed here?
But PG&E won't make any money that way. They want to manage usage at present levels, not decrease it since they have already built generating capacity.

I remember that my friend had cousins in Berkeley that we visited. There was a water shortage and the utility asked everyone to conserve. They did so with a vengance. I think that I heard that usage dropped 40 to 50%. Then the utility raised their rates so that they could continue to get the profit that they were "entitled" to.

Back
Top Bottom