How long should the "edit window" be?

How long do you want the "edit window" be?

• No editing necessary. I'm always right.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Keep the current 15 minute limit.

• 1 hour

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • 2 to 5 hours

• 6 to 12 hours

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 1 days

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • 5 days

• Forever. It's my post after all.

Votes: 20 42.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After further thought I realized I was wrong in closing it, the more feedback we have the better. Please note that the results will not determine the settings but they will be used as guidance in making the decision.

I wanted to apologize for closing the poll for the last 2.5 hours.

I think that the 2 - 5 hour option would be a good choice and long enough to edit. I belong to other forums and have seen good threads scuttled by members going back and removing the meat of their posts. The subsequent posts become less relevant.

BTY - thanks for opening the dialogue back up. :)

Irony? You are too kind CFB.

Subtlety is of course, my strong point.

I'd like to see people being able to sleep on something, and then fix it after reconsideration. Or fix a big boo-boo that made them look dumb.

I think one day is the bare minimum. Five is too long.

After further thought I realized I was wrong in closing it, the more feedback we have the better. Please note that the results will not determine the settings but they will be used as guidance in making the decision.

I wanted to apologize for closing the poll for the last 2.5 hours.
Thank you, Andy.

Coach

Since you realized you were wrong in closing the poll, I assume you realize that comments or polls about how this forum is run should not be censored. Thus I will repost a poll about democracy and free speech in forums. Please do not delete it again.

Andy, you may find that you have less control over the forum than you think. Realize that it is, no matter what you think, a democracy, since forum members can vote with their feet. The forum is only as good as its members, and there are plenty of other forums out there.

This is one of the best not because of its policies or its forum software, but because of the quality and quantity of its threads. If the top ten posters decide to start posting in a different forum instead, your revenue will drop significantly.

So I suggest you tone down the "This is not a democracy" crap, and the "you can have all the polls you want, but I decide how things are run" crap.

Last edited:
Ditto to what T-Al said.

AndyR, you probably won't get this, but trying to control something or someone you ultimately have no control over will ultimately backfire. Just ask my ex-wife.

If they had courses in diplomacy, maturity, and good judgment, I would suggest you take one.

2Cor521

Now, now, lets not get our undies in a wad, guys. I'm sure the management will act in good faith and already has started to do so, now that people have expressed their dismay.

This is what it must feel like to be an employee in a company with a boss telling you how to live your life on and off the job.

We first removed complete abilities to delete when OAP deleted entire threads he had started. At that time, if you started a thread you could delete the thread, even the posts you did not make. People were very irritated at the thread deletions.

We removed the ability to delete threads, but you could still delete posts. However, that ability continued to be a problem. OAP went through and deleted many many posts. Other posters upon leaving the forum would delete all their posts and "unregister" from the forum.We stopped the ability to do a full delete and people went to using "nm" as our ever creative OAP started using. Some people have removed many of their posts for ambiguous reasons and when others have searched for what was good advice to them could no longer find it. Other people on occasion would edit their original posts quite some time after posting, which would make responses look inappropriate. One poster was edited by a moderator to remove abusive language and that poster edited it again to put it back in.

Hence the move to limiting the ability to edit forever. I agree that 15 minutes is too short. I trust we will have a compromise in place soon.

The edit window has been increased to 6 hours.

Now can we get back to trashing annuities and spendthrifts? ;)

Now can we get back to trashing annuities and spendthrifts? ;)

Eventually. I don't think that some of us (myself included) have quite managed to bite 50 cents of hamburger out of our new corporate overlord's ass yet...

From 15 to 360 minutes in about 24hrs. That's 2,300% daily return. Anyone cares to calculate the annual return? Don't forget compounding.

I guess the good question is how much momentum does it have, and what the closing price will be tomorrow...

That's not enough time to sleep it off. My vote is for no time limit at all, but if we can't have that, at least make it no shorter than one day.

OAP went through and deleted many many posts.

Regarding that incident, my take was that OAP was, at the time, facing a death sentence, with perhaps only a few months left to live. Upon grappling with his mortality on this board, he decided that his soul-thrashing had left aural traces that he didn't want to have to look back on from the afterlife, so he decided a cleansing was in order.

Or, perhaps he was more like Camus's protagonist at the end of L'Etranger, embracing the essential nothingness of the universe and becoming one with it while facing his own execution.

Either way, I would have to respect the right of someone to perform such a deeply personal/philosophical ritual.

'Course that's just me.

Please do consider at least making it longer. I don't think I have ever caused any problems or dissension on the board, and the only content I have ever removed has been a couple of sentences that sounded too antagonistic when I re-read them after posting and had cooled down, and before they were answered.

I frequently edit due to grammatical and spelling errors, or to clarify my posts. Maybe I am slow, but usually I only get about half done with my editing before the time lapses on me. I have tried writing my posts in MSWord and then posting by copy/paste, but if I do then other posts will make mine obsolete before I ever get it posted. I haven't got "caught" by the time limit much this week so maybe you have increased it, or maybe I am getting faster! But I sure hope you decide to increase the time.

Is this democrazy in action, a protest, or the equivalent of an internet RIOT?:2funny:

I will admit, I was a bit dismayed when I could not edit a earlier post to amplify a point... I was unaware a change had been made to limit the time to edit.

I will admit, I was a bit dismayed when I could not edit a earlier post to amplify a point... I was unaware a change had been made to limit the time to edit.
Just to set the record strait on this, the no changes were made to shorten the length of time that people could edit. On the contrary, the edit time was increased to 6 hours (from the previous 15 minutes).

Back
Top Bottom