How long should the "edit window" be?

How long do you want the "edit window" be?

• No editing necessary. I'm always right.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Keep the current 15 minute limit.

• 1 hour

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • 2 to 5 hours

• 6 to 12 hours

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 1 days

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • 5 days

• Forever. It's my post after all.

Votes: 20 42.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sam

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
"Forum Management" might be considering changing the 15-limit for editing YOUR OWN post. Now is the time to throw in your 2 cents.

The poll will close in 3 days.

I meant to say:

The poll will close in 5 days. But I cannot edit my original post.

Last edited:
Why close the poll at all? After all, it's your own poll.

Friendly, cheerful moderators are standing by to assist you. Just ask. :)

Yeah, right. Be prepared for:

Dear REW, can you please change line 187 from post #675 from 'I are' to 'I am'. Also can you change "loose" to "lose" for me. I don't know which line number it's on, and don't have the time to count as the whole thing is over 10 pages long.

I really appreciate your help. I hope it won't take you more than a few hours to make the modification.

Respectfully yours,

Yeah, right. Be prepared for:

Dear REW, can you please change line 187 from post #675 from 'I are' to 'I am'. Also can you change "loose" to "lose" for me. I don't know which line number it's on, and don't have the time to count as the whole thing is over 10 pages long.

I really appreciate your help. I hope it won't take you more than a few hours to make the modification.

Respectfully yours,

Sam, I wouldn't do it for just anyone, but for you... ;)

Thanks. I will take you up on the offer.

I don't know how democratic decisions are being made here. But the poll, at this moment, is showing a median at 5 DAYS.

I voted "No editing necessary. I'm always right." I screwed up though, can a mod "un-vote" me?

I have closed the above poll. The reason the edit timeout is in place is because we have issues with members going back and removing content. It's often an issue when a thread gets out of hand and someone starts some heated discussion and then goes back to edit their old posts.

I know this sucks and it's a case of a few apples ruining the bunch. Trust me, I would like to enable you all to be able to edit for a longer period. I will look into solutions that I have in mind but I cannot guarantee anything.

This limit has been in place for a long time but we will consider making it a little longer. If it is abused then we will be forced to make it shorter. Please not the mod team is discussing this issue right now.

I have closed the above poll.

Andy, you are truly a [edited by moderator] owner. Your decision demonstrates an [edited by moderator].

This is one post I know I will never edit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy, this is simply unacceptable censorship. Morally, even though you own the forum, you do not have the absolute right to control the content.

Moderators, I am disappointed that you find this OK.

Coach

We are not censoring you in any way. We are only preserving what you post. How in the world is that censorship?

I would also like to take this time to thank our moderators. They have worked very hard over the years to make sure E-R.org is a friendly place to exchange information. It takes a lot of work to manage a forum and they deserve a round of applause.

Hey Nords,

Andy is a [moderator edit] owner. This is not the first time either. Last time he MODIFIED my post and DENIED it using some STUPID excuse.

The only way you can prevent me from stating my opinion is to convince him to act properly, or ban me.

Until then Andy is what he is:[moderator edit].

Last edited by a moderator:
I did indeed stop the poll. The reason I closed the poll is because the policies of this forum are developed by me and a group of trusted advisers (the admins and moderators). This is not a democracy.

Look, we are discussing this subject now. If you could please hang tight while we determine the best way to set the settings that would be great. Your passion is noted and if you would like to be part of the team that helps manage this site (mods) please send me an email and we will consider you the next time we are adding people.

We are not censoring you in any way. We are only preserving what you post. How in the world is that censorship?

I would also like to take this time to thank our moderators. They have worked very hard over the years to make sure E-R.org is a friendly place to exchange information. It takes a lot of work to manage a forum and they deserve a round of applause.
Andy, closing the poll is censorship.

And you are quite correct about the enormous contributions of the moderators, both as posters and as moderators. But I remain disappointed that they would sanction this censorship.

Coach

This is not the first time either. Last time he MODIFIED my post and DENIED it using some STUPID excuse.
Would you please post a link and more details about this? I don't recall doing any such thing.
The only way you can prevent me from stating my opinion is to convince him to act properly, or ban me.
We are not trying to prevent you from stating your opinion, I don't understand your statement?
Until then Andy is what he is: DUMB.
I am rubber you are glue, whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you.

This is all pretty disappointing.

It seems someone has forgotten that the community is made by the contributing body, not by the governors...or the guy who paid for it.

You're welcome to do what you wish with your property. But the community and its contributions are not something thats owned.

Closing the poll shows poor judgment. The responses to the concerns raised are even worse.

A day or two to make a few changes to spelling or mistakes is perfectly reasonable. So is making the proposal.

Last edited:
I started a new poll on whether this forum should be run as a democracy. It was 75% for "Yes" before it was deleted.

In case I am soon banned, then know that I enjoyed my time here, and thanks for all the fish!

I started a new poll on whether this forum should be run as a democracy. It was 75% for "Yes" before it was deleted.

In case I am soon banned, then know that I enjoyed my time here, and thanks for all the fish!

I voted on your poll, just second before it disappear. But don't worry, it'll be back, and then when someone mention this incident again in the future, we'll see a query:

"Can you please point me to that thread, I don't recall it", or some similar bullshit.

Banned? I'll be the first one.

Anyone else find the irony in someone saying they want to preserve our contributions for posterity, while concurrently removing our contributions...? :2funny:

Back
Top Bottom