Are people thirstier than they used to be?

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
I just read that McDonald's now has a 42 ounce soft drink called the Hugo (currently under $1, over 400 calories). When they first opened in 1955, the largest size soda was 7 ounces! Now a small is 16 and a child's size is 8!

Are people thirstier than they used to be? I'm really wondering! Years ago, people didn't walk around with water bottles everywhere they went. You took a few sips from a water fountain and that was about it. Can this increased thirst be blamed on global warming? :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with being hydrated (although I would have some doubts that massive amounts of soft drinks, whether diet or regular are healthy).
And inquiring minds want to know: have bladder capacities expanded over the years with the increased liquid volume? (Might be TMI, but I have to ask it as someone who would spend all the day in the restroom after a 42 ounce drink!)

Cost of drink to MacDonalds maybe .04 for the cup, .03 for the drink, .01 for the labor .99 for the drink plus .06 or .07 for the Governor and .91 for Mr. Mac.

I guess we are getting thirster, just look a people walking around the mall or the streets and driving cars. Cell phone in one hand, drink in the other -- sometimes I wonder what they are steering the car with.

And this bottled water is getting really expensive; can almost get a case of beer cheaper than a case of water. Soft drinks for about $4 to $5 a case of 24 some of the water comes as high as $38 for 24 bottles -- don't people know how to multiply any more?

Lots of trips to the bath rooms and/or panic attacks trying to find one.

42 oz is 3.5 12 oz beverages. hmmm 3 times a day, one for each meal that is 126 oz.

Then a couple during the day and evening. Hey! Don't criticize, what do you expect! America can't go without their mega slurpy. :eek:

Were up to 210 oz or 1.6 gallon of soft drink or 17.5 12 oz cans. If that is regular (sugar) and Pepsi (9.46 tsp per can) that equal 165.55 tsp of sugar or 3.45 cups of sugar. 1 cup of sugar weighs 1 pound. 3.45 pounds of sugar. Hmmmmm.

Well 365 days in a year. That is 1258 pounds of sugar in a year. Ok Ok... let's cut it in half. 629 pounds of sugar from pop in a year. WOW! 1.7 pounds of sugar from pop a day. :p

Sugar in Soft Drinks Results

Diet soda please! :D

I think someone at McDonalds has a sense of humor in calling it the Hugo ("You go").

i was struck by the fact that in asia you don't have 2 liter bottles, you have 1 liter bottles...made me have an instant reaction that the 1 ltr wasn't enough?

my boyz would definitely look at the 1 liter as a personal size drink...

also, w/ the box discount stores like costco etc. people are drinking more pre-packaged type drinks...

In my working, Diet Coke guzzling days I drank 1-2 2 liter bottles a day. Often I
did not use the restroom until I was getting ready to bike home, especially if that was
the first time I stood up since arriving (mini-fridge in the office).

Retired, I drink over a gallon a day (of refrigerated tap water) in the summer, probably
half that in winter. My fridge starts each day with two 1/2 gallon pitchers and two
24oz cups of water, which all disappears before night on hot days.

In my working, Diet Coke guzzling days I drank 1-2 2 liter bottles a day. Often I
did not use the restroom until I was getting ready to bike home, especially if that was

Retired, I drink over a gallon a day (of refrigerated tap water) in the summer, probably
half that in winter. My fridge starts each day with two 1/2 gallon pitchers and two

Super Bladder??

I think I drink more liquids than most Italians.. I don't know what's different about them.. if they come over for dinner, I'll offer, right off the bat "something to drink?".. I always offer 1.) water 2.) softdrinks like juice or iced tea, sometimes soda if we have it 3.) low-alcohol aperitifs like campari or martini on ice 4.) wine/beer 5.) cocktails. But they quite often refuse any/all and wait 'til we are at table, even if this means an hour or more of chatting and prep beforehand. I feel odd "drinking alone", even if it's not alcoholic.

That said, I can't deal with gallons of soft drinks either. When I've been at McDs I've always gotten the smallest avail. to wet my whistle. I usually throw about 2/3 away, of the small. When I drink juices or something like Snapple I usually add 1/2 plain water, otherwise they're too sweet and not "refreshing".

I often have a drink in my hand...
trink40.gif

My favorite watering holes dole out beverages by the pint!

I plead guilty :(

I'm a nervous drinker. I've been a fidgiter all of my life. Now that I'm at a desk most of the day I just drink to keep my hands and mouth busy. I try to limit myself but on a bad day I can drink a 12 pack of diet pop easily plus a couple glasses of water.

when we moved offices a couple years ago, my coworkers joked that they were going to put a urinal in my office.

I plead guilty :(

I'm a nervous drinker. I've been a fidgiter all of my life. Now that I'm at a desk most of the day I just drink to keep my hands and mouth busy. I try to limit myself but on a bad day I can drink a 12 pack of diet pop easily plus a couple glasses of water.

when we moved offices a couple years ago, my coworkers joked that they were going to put a urinal in my office.

:eek:

there is something seriously addictive about diet soda...there are a lot of people who can't go w/out it and who overindulge too...

saluki - isn't that a LOT of caffeine:confused: :eek:

ever think that is what made you fidgety and nervous?!

And you wonder why diabetes is rampant.

The fast food industry has poisoned you with glucose-fructose in soda and transfats in the fries and breaded sandwiches.

I used to drink 8-10 sodas a day at work because they were free. I started cutting down because of the caffeine, and went I started telecommuting I cut down to just one can at lunch, and usually another w/o caffeine at dinner. Went through a bit of withdrawal (minor headaches) and knew it was a good idea. Now I drink a lot of chilled tap water, and tea in the winter. Plus the occasional beer or mixed drink. ;-)

:eek:

saluki - isn't that a LOT of caffeine:confused: :eek:

ever think that is what made you fidgety and nervous?!

Strangely no, the caffeine doesn't bother me at all. I'm one of those strange people who become calmer with stimulants, the downside being that caffeine doesn't wake me up any more.

I'm actually getting less caffeine than I used to. I gave up drinking 5-7 cups of coffee in the morning because it was doing a number on my stomach.

I used to drink 8-10 sodas a day at work because they were free. I started cutting down because of the caffeine, and went I started telecommuting I cut down to just one can at lunch, and usually another w/o caffeine at dinner. Went through a bit of withdrawal (minor headaches) and knew it was a good idea. Now I drink a lot of chilled tap water, and tea in the winter. Plus the occasional beer or mixed drink. ;-)

My college cross country coach used to suggest we all drink some caffeine BEFORE practice, then wanted all of us to take one bayer aspirin after practice. Since we had one of the most successful Div III teams in the country, we followed his advice........:)

Maybe I got my addiction to Diet soda due to him.......:D

I drink differently based on the season. In Florida it is HOT all summer. Even if I am inside all day, I need to sip water contantly or I get dehydrated. I hate drinking water in the winter, because I get cold so I switch to hot tea, but watch the caffine.

Never drink soda. When I was a kid I only got soda to settle an upset stomach, so soda reminds makes me think I am ill.....

7-up? That's my "ill" drink from my youth.

7 up and coke. Never touch either (or all of their permutations and cousins) About 1-2 times per year I get a root beer or cream soda, since they were not contaminated, but I find them too sweet to relieve thirst.

Cycling Investor, it occurred to me the other day as I was schlepping 50 lb bags of dog food into the trunk--how do you transport ungainly stuff without a car? I see from the above that you don't have to buy bottled water, but what about the dog food? Inquiring minds....

Boss buys us diet soda and water, but nags if we don't drink enough water. Like Saluki, I am immune to caffeine, thanks to growing up in the tea business.

I don't think we're any more thirsty than we used to be. I do believe that we've been told over and over again that we need our 8 cups of water per day and some people think that water = Pepsi or Coke. Also, many people ignore the fact that you consume water not only by drinking it but water is in the food we eat as well.

Maybe there's a direct correlation between larger drinks and larger waistlines.

Cycling Investor, it occurred to me the other day as I was schlepping 50 lb bags of dog food into the trunk--how do you transport ungainly stuff without a car? I see from the above that you don't have to buy bottled water, but what about the dog food? Inquiring minds....

My roommate has an SUV, which I borrow as needed - once or twice a month maybe,
for Costco / Petco runs. I also rent a car maybe once a month or so for pleasure trips
or whatever.

I am often thirsty, and am guilty of usually having a water bottle on hand, but lab results have ruled out any medical issues. Fortunately, I am not a soda or sweetened beverage person. Good ol water is my standby...and do not prefer it iced or overly chilled. Has been this way all my life. (several glasses of water with dinner, before dinner, etc...)

Maybe there's a direct correlation between larger drinks and larger waistlines.

a big theme for weight watchers is "don't drink your calories"...

they say that each additional can of soda per day increases a child's risk for obesity by 1.6 times...even diet soda no good for them because of the artificial sweeteners and it makes them have a taste for super sweet stuff...

Back
Top Bottom