The SUV Full size Pick Up issue..

dumpster56

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I hear all the time well its america I have a right to drive what I want...

BUT wasting gasoline in these large wasteful vehicles screw EVERYONE else.

Sorry, Time to change the fleet!

Yes, that's my full-size pickup and, no, I won't help you move.

GOD BLESS :angel::angel::angel:

Dodge Dakota 4x4 16/20 mpg I tow a travel trailer sometimes then about 15 mpg. I love that wherever I travel in the USA I can find gas, a Walmart, good food, a cell phone signal and whatever else I might want.

I suspect that high fuel prices will correct the problem just like low fuel prices drove the market in the first place...it might take a few years though since few replace vehicles often...

I have a Toyota Tundra at the house in Cali, 5.7L 381hp, will tow 10,000#. Love this truck, and the gas mileage was not too bad for 381 horseys...and about the same as a 4L Tacoma. (Paid less for it too, than a Tacoma...let's see, more horseys, more torque, more payload, about the same mileage, better price....Boy that was a hard decision).

All of that said, we drive the Tundra only when we need to drive it (picking up loads of stuff at Home Depot, the rock place, firewood...etc). If you drive it when you need it, then drive your Prius or other more economic (mileage wise) vehicle for general getting around, then there is no shame it that. What I cannot figure out is the guys who commute 60 miles each way in a big pickup or SUV, jacked up with huge tires...getting 10 or so mpg...that is craziness, unsafe in my opinion, and really does screw everyone else.:rant:

R

I suspect that high fuel prices will correct the problem just like low fuel prices drove the market in the first place...it might take a few years though since few replace vehicles often...

Bring back the Vega!!!

I'm going to buy a 2500 HD in a few years.

However, at that same time, I'll be making my own biodiesel.

Can we still be friends then?

Big old Sequoia to tow the RV and for DW to take her clients around looking at real estate. Love driving it, but do so sparingly and as needed only.

My daily ride is a 2006 Prius: 30 mile round trip commute averaging about 58 mpg. That's about the same as my old motorcycle (a large tourer from Germany) used to get. Living in the city, our average non-commute trip is maybe 5 miles. Between the two of us we put on about 15k miles a year, all in, both cars.

'98 Ford F-150 extended cab with a smallish V-8. On the road maybe 18-19 mpg. I drive it to work every day, 18 mile round trip. Sure, I'd like to get better mileage but I can't see spending $$ for another vehicle before I retire, 4.9 yrs from now, and also I do need a truck specifically once in awhile. Also, how the heck would I tow the boat:confused: OK, that's when I buy another boat!

Ok, for real, my loaded with supplies '93 525it BMW work truck, chipped so it get's better gas mileage but has to run on premium - perkier though and just shy of 24mpg overall. Thriftier, though not as much fun as the '83 533i BMW it replaced: 19mpg. Neither a patch on the 1985 Chevy Sprint the '83 BMW replaced - a used 10 YO three cylinder Suzuki product i bought that would give 50mpg in tune and 40 mpg if you did NO maintenance and flogged it like a mule. Almost a quarter century ago and cars today are hard pressed to equal it in economy. OTOH, got rid of mine because i figured if i got in an accident they would have to just bury the wadded up ball of tinfoil that would result.

I'm tall, but some of those big pickups are so big that I would have to have a ladder to get into them! Thanks, but no thanks. To me, they are grotesque.

If I have to move something really big once or twice a year, I can rent a bigger truck from U-Haul and my cargo won't even get wet. Really, a task like that doesn't come up every year (at least in my life). When it does, I think it's a whole lot cheaper for a day's truck rental than it would be for even one week's gas in one of those big pickups, not to mention all associated expenses.

I suspect that the biggest I'd go is a Highlander. That's not very big. No ladder required.

My daily commute is a city bus. But when I need to drive around town, I have a gas guzzling old pick up truck. I figure I'm being responsible and "green" enough with the public transportation and generally keeping the number of trips down. Plus, if I had to trade the vehicle in, I'd be in the market for something big and heavy to replace it anyway. I'm more than willing to pay for the extra metal and extra gas to haul it around based on my experiences with other drivers. Been hit while stopped at a red light, by someone driving the wrong way on a one way street and by a guy who "wanted to see how far his car would skid" in a parking lot. In case you're interested, a car will skid a long long way on wet pavement.

My daily commute is a city bus. But when I need to drive around town, I have a gas guzzling old pick up truck. I figure I'm being responsible and "green" enough with the public transportation and generally keeping the number of trips down. Plus, if I had to trade the vehicle in, I'd be in the market for something big and heavy to replace it anyway. I'm more than willing to pay for the extra metal and extra gas to haul it around based on my experiences with other drivers. Been hit while stopped at a red light, by someone driving the wrong way on a one way street and by a guy who "wanted to see how far his car would skid" in a parking lot. In case you're interested, a car will skid a long long way on wet pavement.

G.O. - I think you can keep your truck. Anyone who has been hit by a dumb*** like that...twice, can keep the heavy metal if for nothing more than protection. As for those dumb***es who hit you...:bat:

R

That and the uncertain economy. Anyone noticing more big and expensive toys in Craigs list or parked in the local "For Sale" lots...

I can still fill the MC for less then $10 every 2-3 weeks...

DD

Lots more used toys for sale. Check out the used boat market. It's full of inventory!

Big trucks definately have their place. As Rambler said, it is the people driving the big SUVs or trucks as status symbols that really don't haul/tow things around that seem like the idiots.
And as mentioned above, higher prices at the gas pump should help solve that issue. Either that or they will continue to work to support their habit, paying into SS for a longer period of time;)

I think big SUV's and trucks serve a purpose if used for work and/or towing applications but seem to be a waste of resources and money if used as just a single occupant daily driver.That said if you want to spend all that extra money to drive something thats considered a gas guzzler its your money and i'm sure the gas companies,government and foreign oil producers thank you for your patronage,I fill up my Toyota Yaris once every 3 weeks for $25,it averages around 40mpg, it seems to me in these days of high gas prices its a sensible and economical way to get around.

Last edited:
Let's see.....

A 95 Monte Carlo that gets 17 mpgs.... not good either

Just bought a 04 Explorer.... for family... gets about 16 to 17... so the same as the car, but can haul a lot more....

And a 04 TL that gets about 24 to 25, but uses premium....

As someone else said... way back when I had a Mazda GLC that got 35 MPGs... but had something like a 75 to 80 hp engine.... people will not buy a car with less than 100 today (IMO)... believe me, it is not just the SUVs that are the problem...

Take a look at the new Civic. The sport one has about a 200 hp engine and only gets something like 20-27... for a CIVIC!!! Even the ones with less HP only get in the high 20s... because they have a lot bigger engine than years ago...

And why does the 4 cyl car (such as the Accord or Camry) only get 2 mpgs better than the 6? Something is up here....

Back
Top Bottom