Managed Payout Funds

bentley

Recycles dryer sheets
Looking for opinions (we all have at least one) on splitting up a retirement portfolio into the Vanguard managed payout funds. Say 33% into each category of growth vs payout.
So, with a 1mm ira, put $330k +/- into each fund.

What's the downside? What am I missing?

b

There's no guarantee that the payouts or investment objective of these funds will be met. Poor investment performance will result in the payouts being reduced. Higher returns will result in additional income being available. They are not annuities theoretically guaranteed by an insurance company.

Please, let's not start another annuity thread. :angel:

I would recommend a diversified portfolio similar to a version of whatever Couch Potato portfolio you are comfortable with. You're a new member to the forum (welcome!) so if you aren't familiar with these please google Scott Burns and read some of his articles of Couch Potato investing.

Looking for opinions (we all have at least one) on splitting up a retirement portfolio into the Vanguard managed payout funds. Say 33% into each category of growth vs payout.
So, with a 1mm ira, put $330k +/- into each fund.

What's the downside? What am I missing?

b

There's not much downside, but if you read this thread Bogleheads :: View topic - Managed Payout -- Here's What's Inside!! (5/31/08) about the composition of the funds, you'll see that you could select the mid-payout fund and have about the same thing. (look down the thread to the 6/30 update posting )

Last edited:
I'd also point out that you are making it uneccessarily complicated by buying all 3, just choose the 1 that meets your risk tolerance.

DD

Back
Top Bottom