Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I can only sleep on my back for a short while

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • I can't sleep on my back at all

Votes: 31 32.3%

• Total voters

summer2007

Recycles dryer sheets
I have a spinal curvature known as scoliosis and I have been trying to sleep on my back thinking that it might help it out.

I have always slept on my side and if I try to sleep on my back it seems I wake up if I am already asleep.

Or if I was trying to go to sleep on my back it is very hard to do and if I do I seem to wake up after just a little bit of sleep.

I have often wondered if being a side sleeper was the cause of my scoliosis.

So I wanted to see how many people actually sleep on their back and if they could sleep the whole night that way.

Jim

The reason I only sleep on my back for a short time is that I snore when I do. Then my wife gives me a smack and makes me turn on my side!:D

I fall asleep on my side and always wake up on my back, arms flung about.

Is there any indication that sleeping on your back really would straighten your spine? Does your scoliosis cause any problems? I ask because I know a couple of people who went to chiropractors and both were told that they had scoliosis. It made me wonder if anyone's spine is absolutely straight and if it matters.

Neither myself or DW sleep on our backs, ever. I think you may want to consider your mattress. Some of the better ones support you quite well when sleeping on your side, such that your spine is kept straight. The mattress we have in the US is very good that way but I can't remember the name. The one we have here in Asia is now 15 years old (can't get a king replacement here, we have to ride it out) and used to be good that way, but it is wearing out. ...FWIW

R

Usually on one side or the other, occasionally on back.

Sometimes I fall asleep on one side or the other, but usually wake flat on my back. My back feels much better when everything's in alignment. Twisting is not good... I have several auxiliary pillows for side sleeping.

Im a side sleeper. Has to be me facing the left. Then I usually go for the sprawl out on the back move. I also apparently steal covers. By the morning the bed looks like WW3 hit it.

I guess I answered it wrong in a way...

IN BED... I answered correctly... I do not sleep on my back at all...

But I do fall asleep on my back on the couch... and usually my naps there are pretty good...

I can not figure out why I can do this on the couch but not on the bed...

BUT, I just bought on of those memory foams and for now it seems a bit hard... but I have heard it takes care of a lot of problems...

Although I start out on my side, with or without my CPAP machine I sleep on my back. Frau told me I snored and stopped breathing (or vis-versa). No more!

I love my CPAP! Of course, I sound like Darth Vader, but I am always rested in the morning now and Frau is happy. ( Every engineer ought to have a compressor of his own. A pump, too, but that is in the swimming pool department.)

Interesting. A poll with the question, "Do you sleep on your back?," that doesn't allow a "Yes" or "No" answer.

Anyway, I have been told (several times) that those who prefer feather pillows tend to sleep on their stomachs and those who prefer foam sleep on their backs. (Perhaps a poll on that would provide a more definitive answer to "How to sleep on your back.")

BTW, I insist on a down-filled pillow and sleep on my "tummy." I hate staying at a hotel/motel solely because of the pillows.

IN BED... I answered correctly... I do not sleep on my back at all...

But I do fall asleep on my back on the couch... and usually my naps there are pretty good...

I'm the same way. When I'm in a position just to get a normal night of sleep, I can't sleep on my back at all. My mind starts racing and I'm up until I take up a different position. If I'm laying down on the couch or the floor and I'm just comfortable (or dead tired in the middle of the day) I can nap on my back all day without a problem. It makes about as much sense as anything else I do, I guess.

I am almost always sleeping on my back. I roll to the sides only rarely and never wake up that way. Very sound sleeper, most of the time not waking up at night at all.
Sleep quality went way up once I got a 'sleep number' bed:)

You might want to check out a Comforpedic. We tried that and a Tempur-Pedic but liked the feel of the Comforpedic more... it dissipated heat better and responded faster. You might find that it gives you more back support than a spring.

We ended up with a wool mattress but mainly because we're dirty hippies and didn't want foam.

I tend to sleep on my right side. Sometimes I'll fall asleep on my back. I'll stay in whatever position I fall asleep (or, at least, I get back to that position before I wake up). I can't stand sleeping on my stomach, feels sore on my chest.

Lately after watching my stocks tank, I've been in the fetal position sucking my thumb. :-\

Good news. You wont grind your teeth that way. So you will save on dental down the road. See a rainbow under every cloud..WEEeeee!

Thanks for all of the replies!

I'm surprised by the results. I guess I watch too much tv with people sleeping. I figured I was one of the few who didn't sleep on my back.

It ends up that most people seem to sleep just as I do. And maybe my crooked spine is more of the result of something else than sleeping position.

Martha

I won't go on a tangent about chiropractors here because for some people it's like a religion! But I will just say that I'm not a big fan of them to say the least.

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I went into my HMO for another reason and was just sitting there when a MD just by looking at me asked if I was ever checked for it. He tested me and of course I had it. My back never feels straight and one pant leg drags on the ground and my shoulders are uneven. I get a lot of mid back ache/pain with it and I loose a little height....that really dosen't matter since I'm a 6 footer even with it but I would be at least an inch taller with a straight spine.

I wouldn't have cared what a chiropractor told me!

Nords

Thanks. I am doing some stretching now. I need to start taking action because this definitely gets worse over time.

Jim

I can only fall asleep on my stomach. There is no other option. However, over the last couple of years, I find myself waking up on my back more and more. But if I wake up on my back (during the night or early in the morning) I can only fall back asleep my rolling onto my stomach again.

I can't sleep on my side at all. I find that very uncomfortable and never fall asleep or wake in that position.

I also can't fall asleep without a blanket or sheet covering me.

I can only sleep on my tummy, one leg over the body pillow, arms under my head pillow, and with a sheet or blanket.
This makes it hard when I get involved.....I ususally try to kick the other person out of bed!

I have to have a blanket or sheet covering at least my feet.

Otherwise the under the bed monsters might nibble on my toes.

I have to have a blanket or sheet covering at least my feet.

Otherwise the under the bed monsters might nibble on my toes.

Speaking of those under the bed monsters (such as the wolves that lived under my bed, when I was a little girl?)...

If you lie on your back while asleep, you are exposing your tender, delicious belly and vital organs to any wolves or predators that might like them for a midnight snack!!

I sleep with one leg straight, and one leg bent with the knee nearly up to my chin, on my stomach (but that bent leg tilts me towards sleeping on my side, so I checked that one). That way, I feel like I am poised for a lightning fast exit if the belly-snacking wolves appear in my sleep.

Seriously, I think it's instinctual with me and even though I am perfectly safe in my nice, secure house I can't imagine feeling safe, cozy, or calm while sleeping on my back.

Back
Top Bottom