Photo of Credit Card Thieves??

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Remember in this thread, I mentioned how our credit card number had been stolen? One of the fraudulent charges was to York photo. Today, three copies of this photo arrived in the mail from yorkphoto.com:

CreditCardFraud.jpg

I'm guessing that someone just wanted to test whether the card number was valid, and ordered prints of some stock photo.

Do you think that there's any chance that this is a real photo of someone who used the stolen credit card?

I can make some wanted posters if you like.

Don't vendors capture IP addresses? A simple subpoena from the police would get that info, or even a phone call requesting it if the company is cooperative. Of course, if the crooks were smart they would have used something that can't be traced back to them. But my j*b was often made much easier by the stupidity of criminals.

Well it look like your credit card paid for someone college. Just kidding Al I doubt if it is them.

You're going to get some interesting stuff in the next few days from these ladies.... or their photographer.

Looks like a stock photo to me, but Leonidas has it right. It should be easy to follow through on.

But here's the issue - will anyone? Probably not. Since you have been "made whole" (i.e., had the charges taken off your account) either the issuing bank or the merchant is the victim since they are the one who sustained the financial loss. It is up to whoever sustained the loss to seek prosecution, and in my experience very few merchants would bother once they find out what the time commitment on their part is. It is doubtful that York Photo is going to send a representative to court, probably several times, to whatever jurisdiction that you live in.

When the charges were taken off your account, legally your status changed from victim to witness.

Ideally, if authorities did make the effort to track down people like this, it could cut down on this type of fraud.

The fact that we got something in the mail, means the credit card info was compromised from a source that included our mailing address (e.g. online purchase) rather than a restaurant or store.

Al, dude, that's freaking THEM! I've seen them before on that World's Dumbest Criminal show before. They always screw up and send pictures of themselves to their victims, AND THAT'S HOW THEY GET CAUGHT.

THAT'S HOW THEY GET CAUGHT I'M TELLIN YA!!!

:whistle:

Not to be glib or anything, but they actually could be the crooks...

One of my co-workers a few years back got taken by two good looking gals... they distracted him at an ATM that was inside the bank.. chatting him up etc... seems he did not pay as much attention as he should have because they watched him put in his pin code and somehow either stole his card or cloned it somehow (not sure as the story from him is lose here)... but they cleaned him out over the weekend before he or the bank knew anything was happening... since we worked for the bank, we were able to get a pic of them... and they were cute...

Not to be glib or anything, but they actually could be the crooks...

One of my co-workers a few years back got taken by two good looking gals... they distracted him at an ATM that was inside the bank.. chatting him up etc... seems he did not pay as much attention as he should have because they watched him put in his pin code and somehow either stole his card or cloned it somehow (not sure as the story from him is lose here)... but they cleaned him out over the weekend before he or the bank knew anything was happening... since we worked for the bank, we were able to get a pic of them... and they were cute...

Yup, and they cleaned him out on Wednesday, twice on Thursday, and again on Friday. And he's going back this weekend to see if they are still there...

You're going to get some interesting stuff in the next few days from these ladies.... or their photographer.

The next thing we've received is a box of blank business cards. They're too small to fit in the printer; any ideas of what I can use them for?

Too bad the thieves didn't buy things that are of general value. Why didn't they test out the card number at an online candy shop, for example?

The next thing we've received is a box of blank business cards. They're too small to fit in the printer; any ideas of what I can use them for?
Notecards next to the telephone. It's what I did with the stack of 1000 that I got for a really good price, and ended up having over 950 of when I retired.

Kindling.

Shims.

Writing your current phone/e-mail address on for people who can't believe that you don't carry a card.

Our pet bunny also finds that they have a pleasing bouquet and a woody aftertaste...

When my card was stolen, it would've been easy to catch the crook. They were doing really stupid things like charging multiple tanks of gas back-to-back,buying sporting goods, and meals at sports bars all within a few miles of each other. The credit union could not have cared less. I expected a bit of resistance from them, but they were quick to reissue.....I guess its just too easy to pass the cost along to the rest of us if we actually pay interest charges.

Back
Top Bottom